Newly diagnosed and confused about blood testing

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi there, as a newly diagnosed (1 month) type 1 diabetic I am finding this condition a bit of a pain lol, however I have a question. Up till now I have been blood testing first thing in the morning then before and then 2 hours after eating, trying to build up a profile of my blood glucose levels. Yesterday I was called by my diabetic nurse saying i am testing way too much and should only be testing 2/3 times a day a different times and they cannot justify so many test strips!! . I don`t have a problem with testing, and actually feel much better knowing what my levels are. Is it better to go hypo or hyper, i assume hyper is more dangerous and so am thinking as i cant test, i may manage my condition by waiting for a hypo before eating. What do people think?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
No no no,
please dont wait to go hypo, you may end up unconcious/comatose, as a type 1 you should be allowed test strips,
what insulin are you on? is it multi injections?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
2-3 times a day when newly diagnosed is not enough and I would challenge her advice. Your current testing regime seems fine. Make sure you keep track of all the readings though as this is a reminder of how your body reacts to different foods and can also help adjusting insulin doses in the future. Ask your DSN/doc if they run a course called DAFNE ( helps you understand carb counting and many other things ) and if you can be put on a waiting list. Waiting to go hypo before eating is pointless as well as dangerous. There is nothing to be gained by doing it.

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi totsy, thanks for your reply.I am taking 15 units of Lantus daily and 6 units of Novorapid with meals I wasn`t going to wait till i collapsed though, the other day i felt a bit shaky so tested and found a level of 3.8mmol/l. so had a snack and felt fine. I am taking 15 units of Lantus daily and 6 units of Novorapid with meals.

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
cheers mo, i`m more concerned of going hyper as i thought this could cause long term damage where hypo is just feeling shaky?

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you drive you also have to test before you drive and every two hours if on a long journey. And your BG level must be above 5.

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
I'm a fellow t1 diagnosed mid Jan and i must test as a minimum of morning before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner and again before bed.

I tend to test 2 hours after meals and if i feel just not quite right i test some more .You have been given very shoddy advice in my opinion! They cannot limit the amount of test strips you use (unless of course you were using them willlynilly and quite clearly this isn't the case) you must be able to test before meals and if you feel generally out of sorts. The whole concept of testing only 2-3 times a day mystifies me, this is imperative to your health so what the hell they think they are playing at is beyond me :eek:

It is not a good idea to run your blood sugar low or high both can cause tremendous problems, I ran with high bg for weeks in the beginning and let me tell you i have never felt so rubbish in all my life - i felt better in labour. Low blood sugar is a different kettle of fish all together but yet something else that isn't a nice experience. Poor control leads to a multitude of complications including serious eye problems so the key is control. Your diabetes team need a kick up the you know what and told that testing cannot be hit and miss. I hope you manage to talk some sense into these fools

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm a fellow t1 diagnosed mid Jan and i must test as a minimum of morning before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner and again before bed. I tend to test 2 hours after meals and if i feel just not quite right i test some more .

That's about the amount of testing i wan't and would be comfortable with to be honest, but that would be about 7/8 times a day! I'm still ****** off about getting diabetes it in the first place and am struggling to appreciate the seriousness of having the condition. The trouble is I don;t want to row with the professionals about my test strips so i will tell them that i am still testing first thing and pre/post meals but to do this i am limiting myself to one meal a day !!! I am having a couple of slight hypos a day, as in i feel a bit shaky, but them i am taking sugar, either a cup of coke, tea with sugar or a dextro energy tablet, and at least i am getting used to the feeling of being short of sugar. which i need to be able to recognise. But i am paranoid about running high, when my eyesight started to go on being diagnosed i did start to panic a little, and now it is back to normal i dont want to risk running high again so would prefer to run on the low side.

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
That's about the amount of testing i wan't and would be comfortable with to be honest, but that would be about 7/8 times a day! I'm still ****** off about getting diabetes it in the first place and am struggling to appreciate the seriousness of having the condition. The trouble is I don;t want to row with the professionals about my test strips so i will tell them that i am still testing first thing and pre/post meals but to do this i am limiting myself to one meal a day !!! I am having a couple of slight hypos a day, as in i feel a bit shaky, but them i am taking sugar, either a cup of coke, tea with sugar or a dextro energy tablet, and at least i am getting used to the feeling of being short of sugar. which i need to be able to recognise. But i am paranoid about running high, when my eyesight started to go on being diagnosed i did start to panic a little, and now it is back to normal i dont want to risk running high again so would prefer to run on the low side.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
you'll find that your need to test will decrease significantly as you get to know what foods raise your BGs and which don't

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi David,

I've also just be diagnosed with type 1. I'm astonished with what your nurse is saying.
My nurse has told me to test before:

Every meal, including snacks which have more than 10g of carbs.
Before driving (plus every 2 hours while driving)
Before going to bed
Also to test any time I feel like I might be going hypo.

That's a minimum of 5 times a day for me (although I would say at the moment I'm averaging 7 times a day).
I would not be worried about having an argument with the professionals, you need test regularly, it can be the difference between life and death, or at the least stopping you getting other complications.

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Wish I had a nurse like yours John! I`m averaging about 5/6 tests a day, bollox to my nurse it`s my f@cking health she is playing with!!!

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello David,

The usual advice on testing when you're on insulin is: before each meal and 2h after meal and as johnmtp: before bigger snaks, driving, etc.. I test also before bed, sometimes at night. But if my sugars are off I basically test every 2h to see if I need more insulin. Which means I sometimes test 10 times a day. Haven't had any problems with strips so far, my GP always gets me another prescription when needed.
The advice she gave you is completely stupid!
Don't worry so much about having high BG for a while, it's causing problems if you have it high for months/years, not hours. With hypo you can end up in a coma quite quickly, so I wouldn't go there as well!
I get high BG a lot (diagnosed just 2 months ago) and I feel awful them, my vision gets blurry almost straight away. But it always goes away, so don't panic about it :) It is annoying, I know.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
NICE guidelines state that as a type 1 diabetic that your GP Practice gives you enough strips to keep you healthy.

Look up and print off the NICE guidelines and take them with you when you see your nurse. Be able to explain why you need to test after meals.. Spikes/lows etc..

Get with a consultant in hospital... They will weite to a gp and tell them how many strips to provide....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi Dave! I am T2 not t1 but can tell you that the strips are expensive and therefore your DN is trying to save money. It is your health at stake here - not your DNs. Please do not be bullied into doing something detrimental. I had a problem with my doc and the consultant wrote a letter. You are probably going to have to stop being so nice and grow a tougher skin.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You must ask for a consultant.

Ask the consultant or the hospital dsn to write to your GP. They cannot argue with a consultant.

You also have to add in that you should occasionally test your levels during the night. You should also be given a ketone meter incase of high levels. You should also add in that youshould have enough strips to test if feeling hi, low or unwell.
Its all nice and good to be a nice Patient, but point out that you are entitled to be healthy too....

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
You must ask for a consultant.

Ask the consultant or the hospital dsn to write to your GP. They cannot argue with a consultant.

You also have to add in that you should occasionally test your levels during the night. You should also be given a ketone meter incase of high levels. You should also add in that youshould have enough strips to test if feeling hi, low or unwell.
Its all nice and good to be a nice Patient, but point out that you are entitled to be healthy too....

Well said that woman!