Newly diagnosed - breakfast ideas

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and welcome. I tend to have full fat Greek yoghurt with either berries or a bit of peanut butter on weekdays at weekends it will be bacon scrambled eggs and mushrooms as I have a bit more time then.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As above plus overnight oats, chia seed pudding or low carb pancakes for me

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all struggling for easy and quick breakfasts, anyone to motivate me!!
It would be useful to add what type of diabetes you have been diagosed with and let people know what meds you are on (if any) for your diabetes.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Breakfast - one of my favourite meals of the day! I can make a cheese omelette in five minutes.
HiLo toast (5g carb, Sainsbury's) with different toppings e.g. butter and Vegemite, peanut butter, mackerel pate and cucumber, scrambled egg, avocado with lime and chilli, various types of cheese.
Seeded flatbread (15g) filled with smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers - can be made the night before.
The best breakfasts though are those that have virtually no carbs.

M

Member496333

Hard boiled eggs prepared the night before is about as quick and easy as a breakfast gets. Personally I almost always wake to coffee & cream, and extend my fast well into late morning or lunchtime, but that may not suit everyone. If you must eat first thing in the morning then I can’t think of anything better than eggs.

Reactions: JohnH2019
D

Deleted Account

Morning @Judekane
Breakfast ideas definitely depend on what type of diabetes you have and how it is treated.
For example, many people on this forum with type 2 diabetes, treat it with a low carb diet which impacts their choice of breakfast. However, if you have type 1 diabetes, you probably do not limit your carbs so, as long as your insulin dose is correct, theree should be no more limitation to your breakfast choice than before diabetes.

Reactions: KK123

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On work days I have 30g of raspberries with 3 teaspoons of creme fraiche sometimes sprinkle some low carb granola on top and a coffee with cream When not at work I'll have scrambled eggs (made with cream) bacon mushrooms and half a grilled tomato

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regular breakfast for me :- Greek Yogurt with berries (different typesFrozen ex Aldi), Stick of celery with thin slices of cheddar cheese in the celery grooves, three slices salami, coffee with cream.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
T2 Every morning around 6 . 2 eggs fried in olive oil . 2 bacon , 2 slices of ASDA mature cheddar and a cup of coffee with double cream . Lovit

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 - Baby Bell cheese with coffee and double cream or slice of ham (from Deli counter) rolled up with slice Dairylea cheese and double cream in coffee ;)
Other times, maybe hard boiled egg x 2 (hard boiled previously)
:)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
At weekends I usually have scrambled tofu with tinned tomatoes, and a bit of engevita sprinkled on the toms. Large portion gives about 7 grams of carb. If I keep the carbs very low at breakfast and lunch, I have a bit of room to play at dinner.

Workdays is a small portion of jumbo oat porridge made with oat milk, plus about 75g of berries of some sort at 6.30 a.m.. That's a fair few carbs but for me jumbo oats are very slow release, and I have to adjust the insulin downwards accordingly. I don't usually go high or low during the morning, which is great, and I don't get hungry until about an hour before lunch (which is about 2.00 p.m.)

If you're T2 I'd avoid the porridge!