newly diagnosed but probably had for years

lifesway

Hi I have been recently diagnosed as diabetic type 2. I'm 56 years old.Now this came as a complete shock to me as I had no symptoms at all except I had a boil on my leg which caused so much agony I ended up at A&E refered to a doctor who ordered blood tests. perhaps in the past I have had the symptoms and didn't realise what it was but i hadn't been to a doctor in over 10 years. I've had 3 blood tests so far and it' s confirmed. Now the diabetic nurse told me I had probably just ignored the symptoms and got over them . she had a scale of something like 5 to 23 but mine were 80 I can't find any charts with this guideline anywhere . I had the distinct impression although she didnt say it in so many words that it was so high they couldn't do anything with me .I know the first fasting test I was 13 but they wouldn't tell me after that just said it was high. Saw the doctor who asked me what the diabetic nurse suggested she put me on metformin immediately also my cholestrol was double what it should be so I have tablets for that too. Its all been so rushed for me I feel I've found out too late and about to die at any minute although I feel generally perfectly healthy apart from the great distress I feel with finding this out, blood pressure was high also I'm having to monitor that. I suppose my fear is dying of course we all do that one day I'm just not ready to go yet.I've drastically cut what I eat and lost about half a stone in weight in 3 weeks.Is there any hope for me do you think.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi lifesway and welcome to the forum.

The first thing you need to do is calm down and stop stressing about this, you are not going to die just yet :D Many people find out they are diabetic having had symptoms for some time, months and even a year or more are not uncommon.

The bad news is that over a long period of time diabetes if left unchecked can cause many quite awful conditions from heart and kidney problems, eye sight problems and neuropaphy which affects the extremities and can be very painful.

The good news is that most of these before they become serious take a long time to develop and now you are diagnosed you can help yourself so that these things may never happen or at least be minimised.

What we eat effects our blood glucose (BG) carbohydrates turn to glucose in our stomachs and are absorbed into our blood stream in the intestines. So its not just sugar that we need to be mindful of.

In order to gain tight control you will need to learn a new subject, call it "my diabetes" and the more you learn about it over the coming months the better equipped you will be to control it.

It does seem an awful lot to get your head round especially just after being diagnosed but shock, fear, anger (why me) and confusion are all common emotions at this time and we have all been through them.

More good news is that if you can get a good understanding of your condition through reading books and the information here and elsewhere on the internet it is possible to keep good control. Losing weight if you are overweight or obese is one of the best things you can do as visceral fat around your internal organs is one of the biggest causes of insulin resistance that helps lead to T2 diabetes so any reduction in this is a good thing.

Daisy will no doubt be along shortly and post the "Information for Newly Diagnosed Diabetics" there is some great information in it that will put you on the right road to good control.

And lastly once again dont worry, you are not going to die just yet and with good control there is no reason for you not to live for many years to come although you probably wont get signed up now for astronaut training :wink:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi lifesway and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information which Sid mentioned which I hope you will find helpful. Ask all the questions you need to and other members will be along soon to answer them.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

lifesway

Thankyou Sid for your kind words and reasuring me. I know this is something I've got to try to understand now. I just hope it's not to late to stop the bad side of diabetes setting in.I'm trying to learn how to eat all over again, I really gave food no real thought before as I always used skimmed milk and low this and that just enjoyed pastries with it but of course I've cut those out now. I think you're right in the learning part it'll help me a lot.I know people have lived with diabetes for years but I've also known the bad side for people my mum was diabetic but when it's my turn I'm in a state of shock especially as I thought I was a healthy person and gave blood regularly up to finding out.Not sure if I'll be able to give it in the future or not . Can diabetic people still donate do you know? The stress part will go I suppose in time I just am struggling to come to terms with it just yet. Thankyou shucks I'd have liked to be an astronaut lol
cheers :D :thumbup:

lifesway

Thankyou Daisy I'll take the time to look through all of the information you've sent to me. I'm very grateful thankyou. :thumbup:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
That's it, Lifesway - keep your sense of humour and you'll soon get on top of this! :D :wink:

Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you like - there's no such thing as a silly question on here, and there's usually someone around who can help.

Many of us Type 2s find the NHS recommended diet has too much carbohydrate for us, and use a low/controlled carbohydrate way of eating instead, to keep control of our blood glucose; in my experience it's good for blood pressure and cholesterol too. Have a look on the Low Carb section of the forum and see if it's for you.

Let us know how you're getting on. :D

Viv 8)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Welcome to the very large club of diabetics; you are not alone out there. Just be guided by the post so far and you should find your weight continues to come down and so will your blood sugar, probably the cholesterol and may be even the BP a bit. I think I'm right in saying if you have diabetes you can't give blood but I may be wrong. In summary there is plenty of hope for you and more meds can be added if the diet doesn't do enough. As a diabetic you will have an annual check-up including eye retinopathy so if there is any damage it will be spotted quickly.

L

Luna21

Hi Lifesway, and welcome to the forum. :wave:

I was only diagnosed in January, and have found the majority of advice on here really helpful.

I have all of the above, high BP, high Cholesterol, Hypothyroidism and I also suffer from an auto-immune arthritis which means I take so much medication, I rattle when I walk, but I sincerely hope that my time is nowhere near up on this mortal coil!

So far, in one month, following a sensible, and low(ish) carb diet I have lost 11 lbs, and already feel better about myself. I'm not particularly overweight, had a very healthy diet, but have still managed to make changes to my diet to hopefully avoid long-term problems, and hopefully educated myself a little better too.

I felt adrift when I was diagnosed....it was you have diabetes, here's a book, eat what it says, and we'll see you in a months time! :shock: Hardly fills you full of confidence, does it? However I have researched my condition non-stop on the internet, and on here, and I think I now have a handle on what to do, which is personal to each person I think.

The main thing is not to panic, and no you aren't going to keel over anytime soon!
I know that fear and uncertainty are the first responses to the diagnosis, but take each day as it comes. Lots of people on here have great tips and ideas, but read them all, and only take from it what suits you, as everyone is different.

You are your own best judge on what's best for you, so I wish you all the best of luck, and just remember, you aren't alone!
I will be struggling along with you for sure, but I don't intend to let diabetes run, or ruin my life. :D

lifesway

Hi thankyou to you all for your lovely replies I feel a lot more confident now. I think I just needed someone to say I wasn't going to die the next day as that was the impression I was left with after seeing the dietition. She told me I wouldn't need to see her again which made me think I'd probably had it. Perhaps it was my own fault ,with not being to a doctor in 10 years it made me shy to ask questions even of the dietition. Today I've moved on from that fear stage thankyou so much to everyone on here for the support when I did need it the very most, I was really really down. Not now, thanks to your support I'm back up and determined to get the best out of my life.
viviennem Daibell Luna21 Sid Bonkers daisy1 I love you all. thankyou for taking the time to answer my email. It's made me feel so much better in myself.
Luna21 you are an angel also ,sorry to hear you have all those other problems too, bless you not long diagnosed and already bounced into giving helpful advice . :0) I'm a lot more positive now and I will look at all the internet advice.
Anyway thankyou all so much you've made my life worth picking up again . :0)
Just wondering with the Metformin I start on 2 tablets a day this week had to take 1 a day for one week then 2 a day a week then 3 a day a week finally will be 4 a day but when I eat my stomach knots for a while and I get really bad wind is this normal? anyone else had this problem? It gets so bad it makes my heart flutter a bit. I've had wind problems a while but only when I wake in the mornings but since I've been taking the metformin it's affected me in the daytime which I rarely got before. Thankyou for all your help and advice.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Metformin (otherwise known as Metfartin :wink: ) is renowned for side-effects such as wind, diarrhoea and sometimes nausea and stomach cramps. The reason for getting on to it slowly, one pill at a time, is to let your system get accustomed to it. If you think things are not settling down well, try upping it 1 pill per fortnight rather than weekly, and explain to your nurse next time you see her.

For some people, taking it halfway through a meal helps. Take it with, or just before or just after food, to start with. I can now take mine anytime, with or without food.

If you really can't cope with it, ask for the Slow Release (SR) version - more expensive but easier on the intestines.

I'm on 1 500mg pill 3 times daily. At first I had side-effects, but it quickly settled down, and now I'm fine. I like taking it; not only does it help against insulin resistance, lowering BGs by as much as 1 or 2 mmols/l, but it gives some protection against stroke and CVD. It also curbs the appetite, helping with weight loss. Recent research suggests it gives some protection against a variety of cancers, too. I don't take statins because I don't get on well with them; I look on Metformin as something of a substitute, even though it doesn't have the same action.

Have patience; take it slowly, and your system should soon settle down. If it doesn't, ask for the SR version. If even that doesn't suit you, you'll need a rethink - but I'd rather take Metformin than any of the other diabetic meds. Give it a good go. :D

Viv 8)

lifesway

Thanks viv now i know i.ll stick with it and try downing the metfarting :) half way through eating.thanks for ur advice appreciated.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Definitely try taking your met with food whilst actually eating this helped stop my problems with it 4 year ago now, I think it took a few weeks maybe even a month or so for my tummy to calm down but no problems after that :D

As suggested earlier in the thread if the problems continue past a month or so go back to your gp/nurse and ask about the slow release version ie. Metformin SR that seems to help some.

Glad to hear your better in yourself now, your in good company and with something like 2.5million diabetics in the UK you're definitely not alone.

lifesway

Hi Sid thankyou for your encouragement when I needed it the most. I'm much better in myself now must admit the diabetic nurse made me feel like I had leprosy or something now I look back . Perhaps it's the way I took the news though as even though that was my 3rd blood test in as many weeks I was still kidding myself I was fine.was better last night with the metformin wind wasn't so bad , I have this heavy dragging feeling though but I expect it's just my body getting used to the new medication as I very very rarely took any medication before this. This is a great group of people thankyou everyone for your help and hopefully I'll be able to help others also in the future as you have done for me. :thumbup:

zalastar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Lifesway, and all you other contributors, I'm a newbie too, diagnosed a week ago today! Just like you Lifesway, I instantly panicked; "how long have I had it?" "How much damage is already done" etc.
I think it's really important to get perspective, what's done is done, and we need to look forward not back. This forum and others like it show that there's loads of places we can get info, and loads of people happy to support us.
I'm not taking any meds for 3 months, trying lifestyle changes first, I'm determined to make this a positive experience, it's probably the kick up the bum I needed to lose weight and get some exercise!!!
Chin up lovey, we're all in this together!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lifesway

Hi zalastar, welcome to the forum ,yes we all get a shock when diagnosed I suppose. I thought I'd had it and didn't even have any symptoms they told me I'd probably ignored/ got over them some time ago. I was feeling dreadful at first but now I'm positive again and getting on with life. Have an eye appointment next , after years of not seeing the doctors etc I'm now making up for lost time lol.
To help you I cut out sausage rolls cakes all sweety stuff concentrated on greens chicken fish. I've lost about half a stone in weight very quickly but it seems to be sticking at that now. Still perhaps I'll still lose some more in time. Hoping so I'd love to have a nice slim figure.
Just a bit concerned that nothing is happening with the Metformin as I get lightly giddy when I eat still.Not sure I can cut out much more hoping I can get control of this . Perhaps not getting quite enougn excercise in this horrible snowy weather. :0) This is a great site with lots of lovely supportive friendly people. I'm sure you can do the lifestyle changes just have to read the labels on the food that helps lots.