NEWLY DIAGNOSED.. HELP

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c was 7.3% - 56 but I was retested two weeks later and it was 7.5% - 58.
That's when I was formally diagnosed.
I think it was retested in case it was a mistake. Mistakes can occur. It is after all a serious diagnosis.

I was still in shock and disbelief at the time. After the first result, I woke up one morning a couple of days later and decided it had been a mistake. The blood sample did not belong to me but the man who had gone into the test room before me. It didn't last long.

I'll add that I had many symptoms.

When you had your 1st test at 56, did you do or eat differently in the 2 weeks leading up to the 2nd test?

I wonder how it was higher if you did change eating habits..?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think many of disbelieved our diagnosis. I know I did. I was symptomless with an HbA1c of 52 taken on 4th January. I told myself it was because of the Christmas festivities, a holiday in early December, and my birthday celebrations over New Year, and was so sure all would be well on my second test 2 weeks later. Not so. The second test was 53.

Edit to add. In that 2 weeks I cut out all sugary stuff, sweets, puddings, biscuits etc.

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you had your 1st test at 56, did you do or eat differently in the 2 weeks leading up to the 2nd test?

I did stop eating slabs of chocolate and most things with sugar after the first result.
I didn't change to a low carb diet until after the second test result.

I did buy a glucose meter after the first result and I did a test with a small amount of chocolate and a small glass of fruit juice diluted with fizzy water. Result was 12 after and hour and stayed in the 12's for hours. So that showed me. And I felt terrible.

Tala_2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Annoying people

Hi Amber

At least you are getting some treatment now, just watch out for low blood sugar once on medication, you will probably need to eat less, but more often to keep your sugar level

Woody

Reactions: Freema

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did stop eating slabs of chocolate and most things with sugar after the first result.
I didn't change to a low carb diet until after the second test result.

I did buy a glucose meter after the first result and I did a test with a small amount of chocolate and a small glass of fruit juice diluted with fizzy water. Result was 12 after and hour and stayed in the 12's for hours. So that showed me. And I felt terrible.
Slabs of chocolate haha god you sound like me! Slabs of Chocolate is probably why I am in this predicament!!! Not sure how I'll live without them!!!

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think many of disbelieved our diagnosis. I know I did. I was symptomless with an HbA1c of 52 taken on 4th January. I told myself it was because of the Christmas festivities, a holiday in early December, and my birthday celebrations over New Year, and was so sure all would be well on my second test 2 weeks later. Not so. The second test was 53.

Edit to add. In that 2 weeks I cut out all sugary stuff, sweets, puddings, biscuits etc.
I am in total denial!!! Have my blood test in 30 mins and have convinced myself I've dropped 3 or more points in 2 weeks... my goodness I'll be in for a shock tomorrow when I get the results....

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was in denial too when I got my diagnosis. I thought they had made a mistake/that my figure was only just in the diabetic range so could have been a blip/that it was due to statins and hayfever/that they had mixed my sample up with someone else!
I didn't get a retest until 3 months later, so you are fortunate, in a way, to get confirmation within 2 weeks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing to remember is that no matter what your HbA1c (up or down a few points is irrelevant) - you have entered the D zone.

Pre-diabetes is classed as 42 or above, and you have been there for a while.
Diabetes is 48 or above, but the actual line is the sand is just a bureaucratic one. The reality is that anyone with a score higher than about 41 needs to be looking at their diet and lifestyle and putting some changes into action.

The quicker and earlier we do this, the better and easier it will be to control/prevent developing type 2 diabetes and the complications that come with it.

I have seen posts on here by people who say they were diagnosed at over 100 HbA1c and who were symptomless. But the reality is that blood sugar above normal (yup, that is blood sugar of pre-diabetic levels or above) carries a risk of long term complications, so it REALLY PAYS to take things seriously, with even a score of 42.

Sorry if that sounds like doom and gloom. I see it as a positive thing - a good kick up the backside to halt or even reverse the deterioration before it starts to affect our long term health.

If you want to read more on the subject, I heartily recommend the www.bloodsugar101.com website. The only thing to remember is that it uses the American units to talk about blood glucose, so their numbers look different from our mmol/l. Just remember that 18 American units means 1mmol/l to us. So an American 180 meter reading is approx 10mmol/l to us.

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Freema and Liam1955

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all.. you are all so helpful! X

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria rightly point out that basically from the Pre-diabetes stage onwards, it is the D-zone. Mainstream health organizations are just beginning to realize its significannce.

It actually indicates there is pancreatic beta cells functional impairment and insulin resistance. At the pre-diabetes stage, excessive insulin is released to normalize blood glucose. By the time we reached the clinically diabetic stage, the excessive insulin released is insufficient to move the glucose out of the blood stream.

So diet and lifestyle changes has the most immediate and lasting impact to conserve and protect the remaining beta cells. Some medication eg Glipizide/Sulfonylurea can make it worse by simulating even more insulin from the remaining pancreatic cells and those should be avoided. Metformin is relatively benign in the short term.

All the best in on your journey to normalized insulin/glucose levels...
14500661_1810513185859806_7711385967489318436_o.jpg

Last edited:

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I got my HB1ac results and they have confirmed I am Pre-diabetic. I Went from 51 to 49 in 2 weeks and I need another re-test in 2 weeks. I also got my cholesterol down from 5.9 back to 5.2. Am hoping to lower HB1ac more by the next test. This is the kick up the bum unneeded! Low carbs and low sugar for life!!! Thank you all for your help

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure why you have been told pre-diabetes is confirmed. Even with an HbA1c of 49 you are diabetic. The cut off is 48 and over.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

(scroll down for the HbA1c in diagnosis chart)

However, well done on the reduction and the improved cholesterol, and for recognising this is a positive kick up the bum, and a new way of eating for life. :)

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Depending on your status it is possible, but not always. Yet if you catch it early, you can stave off being on insulin. I did not have that chance....but I wish you well. Good luck!!

Reactions: Liam1955

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
@MKD75 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :). As @Prem51 has already said: a lot of Forum Members follow the LCHF Diet here is the link for you:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
What you must remember is that we all (as Diabetics) respond differently to different types of food. What works for person may not work so well for another. Which is why it is Vital that you have a Blood Glucose Meter to check /test your blood sugars.
Good point. Genetics are extremely varied. Too many variables to plan for.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure why you have been told pre-diabetes is confirmed. Even with an HbA1c of 49 you are diabetic. The cut off is 48 and over.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

(scroll down for the HbA1c in diagnosis chart)

However, well done on the reduction and the improved cholesterol, and for recognising this is a positive kick up the bum, and a new way of eating for life. :)
I thought that too? I'm not sure? I was just told my results were satisfactory and to come back in 2 weeks. I asked am i diabetic and they said no Pre-Diabetes? I have requested another Doctor call me to confirm - I read the cut off was 48 but they said as I have no symptoms its pre-diabetes? confused now...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that too? I'm not sure? I was just told my results were satisfactory and to come back in 2 weeks. I asked am i diabetic and they said no Pre-Diabetes? I have requested another Doctor call me to confirm - I read the cut off was 48 but they said as I have no symptoms its pre-diabetes? confused now...

Unless levels are high and have been for a while, most people are symptomless. That's why it comes as a shock. I certainly was (my diagnostic HbA1c was 53) Another HbA1c in 2 weeks suggests to me whoever is in charge of your care is unsure, but normally 2 tests close together as yours were, and both over 47, a diabetic diagnosis would be given. Your results are satisfactory in one sense because the NHS "satisfactory" target for a diagnosed T2 is generally 53. Clearly, that is when you start higher than that and what they hope you will achieve.

Whatever, you know where you are, and after all, it is just a label. The treatment is the same - diet!