Newly diagnosed, honeymoon and breastfeeding

//Andreea\\

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone! I'm very happy to find this forum and to be able to chat with people who have T1 diabetes. This thread is multipurpose: I want to introduce myself, to share with you my diagnosis story and to ask some questions .
Ok, so my name is Andreea, I'm 29 years-old and the proud mother of a lovely baby girl. I've been diagnosed in February while doing some routine tests for the second trimester of my pregnancy. As I was not overweight, my doctor decided to test me for antibodies. I was found positive with Anti-gad antibodies. My HbA1C at the time was 6.4 and my C Peptide was 1.37. I started injecting insulin (3 doses of Novorapid and one of Lantus) and following a diet. I kept my diabetes under control until I gave birth, on the 26th of April.
My doctor had told me that I could have a honeymoon period after the birth of my daughter... and she was right. After some hypos, I was off Novorapid; but I kept having hypos (I would breastfeed and eat sweets and chocolate in the middle of the night ) so I stopped using Lantus as well.
The funny thing is that I kept having mild hypos before lunch (3.5 was the lowest I went without insulin) and some values of 6.1 before the last snack. My doctor was intrigued by this and gave me some tests two weeks ago. My HbA1C was 6, my C peptide 1.06 but went to more than 3 after ingesting 60 grams of carbs. She put me on a diet of 230 carbs a day. Now, obviously, I am interested in prolonging my honeymoon period as much as possible. I was wondering if the low carb diet would work for me, especially since I am also breastfeeding? I started gradually reducing my carb intake, mostly in the evening, and eating more vegetables, meat and cheese. No more sweets , less fruit and starchy products. My BG levels now ranges between 4 and 6.4.
My doctor would certainly not appreciate a low carb diet .
What do you think? Should I go low carb? Or would that affect my milk?What are your experiences with the honeymoon period?
That was a long post, but if you have the patience to read it, I'll be so grateful. I can't wait to meet the community !

(Sorry for the typos, English isn't my maternal language)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Andrea, I remember reading that very low carb is not recommended for breastfeeding as your carb needs go up to supply the baby. I think the Atkins website has info.
I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to give better advice.
X

Reactions: 2 people

//Andreea\\

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andrea, I remember reading that very low carb is not recommended for breastfeeding as your carb needs go up to supply the baby. I think the Atkins website has info.
I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to give better advice.
X
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll check the website you mentionned. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @//Andreea\\ :)

I'm breastfeeding :) No, I would never eat low carb when breastfeeding. It's not advised. Your milk contains carbs for the baby and insulin/carbs is part of the process of creating milk.

Without enough carbs (and calories) you could affect your milk production. My DSN explained the need for carbs (I eat extra when feeding) and went into detail about the milk production process.

Reactions: 4 people

//Andreea\\

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm breastfeeding :) No, I would never eat low carb when breastfeeding. It's not advised. Your milk contains carbs for the baby and insulin/carbs is part of the process of creating milk.

Without enough carbs (and calories) you could affect your milk production. My DSN explained the need for carbs (I eat extra when feeding) and went into detail about the milk production process.

Hi and thanks for your reply :). Maybe I want to achieve too many things at the same time... I understand that I need carbs for my milk production. I'm just worried that 230 gr a day might be too much for my remaining beta cells.
Also, I checked the Atkins website (thanks @Diakat ). Apparently, a 40 carb diet is suited for a breastfeeding diabetic mother who doesn't want to lose weight: "If you’ve got less than 40 pounds to lose, or you need a wider variety of food choices right from the beginning, are pregnant or breastfeeding, then the new Atkins 40 was designed just for you."
So, I am a bit confused... :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi and thanks for your reply :). Maybe I want to achieve too many things at the same time... I understand that I need carbs for my milk production. I'm just worried that 230 gr a day might be too much for my remaining beta cells.
Also, I checked the Atkins website (thanks @Diakat ). Apparently, a 40 carb diet is suited for a breastfeeding diabetic mother who doesn't want to lose weight: "If you’ve got less than 40 pounds to lose, or you need a wider variety of food choices right from the beginning, are pregnant or breastfeeding, then the new Atkins 40 was designed just for you."
So, I am a bit confused... :)

You may not need to eat as many as 230g carbs. It will depend on your weight. I eat something like 180-200g.

In my opinion, it's simply not worth taking the risk that you'll damage your milk supply. I don't agree with the Atkins guidance and neither would my DSN or midwife. Breastfeeding needs a healthy diet with enough carbs. Breastfeeding is believed to reduce your baby's chances of Type 1 diabetes, apart from all the other benefits.

I understand you're concerned about your honeymoon period, but taking insulin will help support your remaining islet cells. its your choice obviously, but I had a similar choice as i was diagnosed around my first pregnancy and I did NOT cut carbs - not in pregnancy and not when breastfeeding. I fed my baby and ate what I/she needed. I don't feel it affected my honeymoon in any way. In fact, I feel the breastfeeding helped :)

//Andreea\\

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
You may not need to eat as many as 230g carbs. It will depend on your weight. I eat something like 180-200g.
In my opinion, it's simply not worth taking the risk that you'll damage your milk supply. I don't agree with the Atkins guidance and neither would my DSN or midwife. Breastfeeding needs a healthy diet with enough carbs. Breastfeeding is believed to reduce your baby's chances of Type 1 diabetes, apart from all the other benefits.

I understand you're concerned about your honeymoon period, but taking insulin will help support your remaining islet cells. its your choice obviously, but I had a similar choice as i was diagnosed around my first pregnancy and I did NOT cut carbs - not in pregnancy and not when breastfeeding. I fed my baby and ate what I/she needed. I don't feel it affected my honeymoon in any way. In fact, I feel the breastfeeding helped :)

Thanks again, azure :). I think you're right about the Atkins diet; I don't feel capable of eating only 40 carbs. And my doctor will never agree with this change!

I did not cut carbs during my pregnancy, I did exactly what my doctor said. Being off insulin I wanted to reduce the risk of a short honeymoon. But my daughter is more important, so carbs it is! :)

I can't take insulin (not even Lantus) because I have hypos in the morning and at lunch time.