1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed - insect bites

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by Mungobean, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Mungobean

Mungobean Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I was diagnosed around three weeks ago. I sat in the garden for a short time on Saturday and was absolutely ‘eaten’ by bugs of some sort. I stopped counting at 30 - big red swollen bites.

I don’t usually suffer at all, so I was wondering whether or not the extra sugar in my blood, or the insulin, have made me that much more tasty to creepy crawlies? Has anyone else started suffering like this, or was I just in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Thank you in advance

Bean

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

The ranges of a lot of biting insects are moving northwards, and each year I seem to get more bites - I am on the south coast so right in the firing line.
    Fortunately I don't react to Blandford fly bites as badly as some people in the area.
    I think that sunbathing, or even sitting in the open air is going to become less common as time passes due to the dangers blood sucking insects present.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've always wondered this, as insects definitely seem to prefer me to my non diabetic husband. But as I was diagnosed at 8 there's no way to tell whether diabetes makes a difference.

But this article below suggests that blood sugar is not a factor

Debunked: Diabetes and Insect Bites - Diabetics Weekly (diabetics-weekly.com)

though it may be a factor in healing from those bites.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That sounds like the Scotch Grey's that are prevalent in Brisbane they leave a big itchy lump behind, it's the only mosquito you can put a saddle on.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Biting things have always loved me, and for many decades before diabetes

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Mungobean

Mungobean Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am on the south coast too and I just don’t know where all the blasted things came from on Saturday!

7. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Doctor our local Irish radio covered this recently. Turns out everyone gets bitten, some people are allergic to the bite/sting so they have the bad reactions.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

That’s interesting
    I tend to not get bitten much that I know of but my ex used to be a magnet for them. He wasn’t diabetic (but does have a very rare blood type) and we thought just certain people were more attractive to insects

9. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Before diagnosis I had some insect bites that became badly infected. This was one more indicator that I had very high blood glucose levels.
    Having said that biting insects have always loved me. I'm sure I get invited to BBQs etc to keep the biters off everyone else!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Bugs do however just seem to like some people better than others - I'm currently suffering from two on the same leg and now have antibiotics (one big red angry blotch got to about 4inch in diameter, the other wasnt quite so bad at 2-3 inches before the doctor was involved)

The bugs have always liked me for some very annoying unknown reason (admittedly I've also always been diabetic - ok not quite but close enough), but then I was talking to one of the guys at the archery club I go to on sunday, he said his wife was the bug magnet, he said he could almost see bugs just turn round and go after her if she went past them, she is not diabetic

11. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting! I know it is anecdotal but I also have a rare blood type and biting insects flock to me.

12. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook