Newly diagnosed, scared and confused

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 2 eggs every morning for breakfast and possibly an omelette for an evening meal once a week. I haven't started clucking yet !!!
On a more serious note though I'm horrified to learn of all the carbs in fruit.I adore the stuff.
Hahahha, just imagining we all clucking.... :)))
Like you I love love love any fruit, such a pain not to be able to enjoy them anymore. I can live without ice cream, but fruit...no....!!!

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The theory behind having fruit with cream or yoghurt is that the fat content in the cream or yoghurt slows the absorption of the carbs in the fruit causing less of a spike. I have three or four strawberries with a couple of teaspoons of cream as pudding with dinner every night, that’s only around 4g carbs depending how big the strawberries are. I try to keep snacks very low carb like an ounce of nuts or sugar free jelly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Why have fruit with meal as meal itself contains carb? More carb from fruit surely adds up the total and therefor might have too much carb in one go. Also how do you have fruit as part of a meal? You cook fruit in or have fruit straight after a meal instead of puddings? ( because I always have fruit as snack)

I think the idea behind this is because any snacks need to be low carb otherwise you will end up with your levels being on a roller coaster all day - up and down, up and down. This isn't good. You need to be down a lot longer than you are up. It is the "ups" that cause the damage. If you have a fruit snack mid afternoon your levels will go up and may not have fully recovered before you eat evening meal, which will impact on your post meal levels. Also you are producing insulin every time you eat carbs (more so with fruit because most fruits are very high on the insulin index), which isn't giving your pancreas any time to rest and recover. Berries are best, especially raspberries and strawberries.

And yes, my nurse even said I still can have ice cream or bit of cake as a treat, but I haven't dared.... Very confusing... I saw a GP who advised me to stick with what the nurse told me to do... Well, that't why I am less careful with carb now..

You really need to take the plunge and get a meter. The sooner the better. You will see then for yourself how poor the NHS dietary advice is, what certain foods do to you, which your danger foods are etc. and you may find your body copes with smaller portions of some of the foods you are currently too scared to eat.

By the way, in my personal opinion there is little harm in a treat of an ice cream on holiday, or a small piece of cake once in a while, but not every week or even every month. These are treats, not a regular part of our eating plans.

Reactions: Prem51

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
To be honest I had egg and spinach for breakfast every day last week, and I can just carry on. This week I had weetabit a few times ( my nurse recommended). May as well go back to eggs then. If anything happens to you with your eggs, you will let me know won't you?

Did you not find eggs and spinach every day for breakfast rather boring after day 2 ;)

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you not find eggs and spinach every day for breakfast rather boring after day 2 ;)
No, I was surprised with myself , I find spinach is the reason that keeps me going on with it. I have never be an egg fan. Eggs are boring, but lots of spinach , I really mean lots of it, makes the dish very much edible:))))

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the idea behind this is because any snacks need to be low carb otherwise you will end up with your levels being on a roller coaster all day - up and down, up and down. This isn't good. You need to be down a lot longer than you are up. It is the "ups" that cause the damage. If you have a fruit snack mid afternoon your levels will go up and may not have fully recovered before you eat evening meal, which will impact on your post meal levels. Also you are producing insulin every time you eat carbs (more so with fruit because most fruits are very high on the insulin index), which isn't giving your pancreas any time to rest and recover. Berries are best, especially raspberries and strawberries.

You really need to take the plunge and get a meter. The sooner the better. You will see then for yourself how poor the NHS dietary advice is, what certain foods do to you, which your danger foods are etc. and you may find your body copes with smaller portions of some of the foods you are currently too scared to eat.

By the way, in my personal opinion there is little harm in a treat of an ice cream on holiday, or a small piece of cake once in a while, but not every week or even every month. These are treats, not a regular part of our eating plans.
Thank you for your advice. I know I need a meter but try to delay until after the holiday. Otherwise I would just be testing all the time and worry sick. I was so naughty today I had Wagamama noodles for lunch, and Caribbean rice for dinner. No bad carb for breakfast though apart from baked beans. I was telling myself it's a marathon so no need to rush. You know when you want sth, you just come up with all right reasons for it.. Now you say I could have an ice cream or a little slice of cake as a treat, I will take it to my holiday. Did you say just once a week? Hmm, if I have only a few spoons of ice cream each time, does it mean I can have it once every two days?? I have not touch anything with sugar since being diagnosed. I bought lots of sweet treat from M&S today they are on offer and they are always good, so sad to think I won't be able to have any..

Reactions: Georgina73

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Like you I love love love any fruit, such a pain not to be able to enjoy them anymore. I can live without ice cream, but fruit...no....!!!
Berries are usually ok. And if you like ice cream there is a low carb ice cream called OPPO which is available from Waitrose, Holland & Barrett and Co-Op.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red_river_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your advice. I know I need a meter but try to delay until after the holiday. Otherwise I would just be testing all the time and worry sick. I was so naughty today I had Wagamama noodles for lunch, and Caribbean rice for dinner. No bad carb for breakfast though apart from baked beans. I was telling myself it's a marathon so no need to rush. You know when you want sth, you just come up with all right reasons for it.. Now you say I could have an ice cream or a little slice of cake as a treat, I will take it to my holiday. Did you say just once a week? Hmm, if I have only a few spoons of ice cream each time, does it mean I can have it once every two days?? I have not touch anything with sugar since being diagnosed. I bought lots of sweet treat from M&S today they are on offer and they are always good, so sad to think I won't be able to have any..

I am going to be very blunt. If you continue eating like that your diabetes will progress and complications will start. If you have any intention of helping yourself, you need to start now before it is too late. You have had a lot of excellent advice so far. It is entirely up to you if you take it or not.

I did not say "just once a week", I said "not every week or even every month"

Enjoy your holiday. :)

Reactions: archersuz

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was too upset to reply yesterday - @Red_river_

I saw my grandmother during the last years of her life dying from the complications of diabetes, I was only a child, but I remember - and it is no laughing matter, I assure you.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am surprised at your attitude towards 'being naughty'. Have you read about the complications of diabetes?

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've stopped replying because at the end of the day it's up to an individual how they deal with their diabetes. If they aren't concerned about getting complications and want to continue to eat the same as they have always then that is up to them. Ditto if someone wants to eat as they used to and have to take meds into order for this to happen. Some of us have chosen not to go down that route.

I understand why people have got frustrated but like I said we don't need to reply. There must be some T2's on here that have gone down the no testing - eating what you like route maybe they could help?

Edited to try to make this sound less harsh.

Last edited:

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've stopped replying because at the end of the day it's up to an individual how they deal with their diabetes. If they aren't concerned about getting complications and want to continue to eat the same as they have always then that is up to them. Ditto if someone wants to eat as they used to and have to take meds into order for this to happen. Some of us have chosen not to go down that route.

I understand why people have got frustrated but like I said we don't need to reply. There must be some T2's on here that have gone down the no testing - eating what you like route maybe they could help?

Edited to try to make this sound less harsh.
I am sorry I obviously upset quite a few people here who care. I was on the road the whole week, and I did try hard to go low carb. Just one day I slipped that I have carb both meals. It's easier if I cook at home, just when I have to eat out 2 meals a day for a whole week, it's a bit more difficult. ( I know, excuses again). Today I have been good: egg and tomatoes and pepper bells for breakfast, pepper bells and zucchini and a potato for lunch. Little rice , prawn and zucchini for dinner. A pomegranate for snack. I know ( not as well as a lot of you do) what complications diabetes can bring, and I know for sure I'd rather not to have to take medication. I know what I had that day wasn't good that's why I said I was naughty. I know probably some people have a " naughty" moment when they allow themselves to have a treat. please don't judge me by the word I used. I just wanted to make the subject a bit lighter that's all.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realised that when you said 'naughty' you were trying to lighten things up. As I said everyone is different and how they want to live with their diabetes is too. IMO there isn't a right or wrong answer to how we choose to deal with our condition.

How you chose to deal with it is entirely up to you as you will be the person who will face the consequences of that decision. Like Resurgam I too have had a relative who has had diabetic complications and he lost his leg. Not trying to upset you it's just the facts.

The members who were replying to you have chosen to take charge of their diabetes by themselves and boy do they know their stuff when it comes to the latest research and just simply how to manage diabetes by diet. They are well worth listening to and once you've reached the point in your life when you can think about managing your diabetes yourself then if I was you I'd start reading their posts.

As I said before I hope that someone who isn't testing will help you out. There are a few of them on here I just can't recall who they are at the moment.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Red_river_
Pleased to see you back here. It took me several weeks to start to understand how I could get some control and 6 months to achieve the control I wanted so don't despair - it will take time and we all make plenty of mistakes but that is how we learn. Your HbA1c wasn't that high so hopefully even some small changes will help. You have to find a plan that you can keep going with and that works for you. Even some reduction in carbs will help so please don't despair.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Red_river_ I felt the same as you about testing, and didn't start testing until after my 3 month HbA1c re-test. Then I realised I wouldn't have any idea about how my blood sugar levels were until the next HbA1c after another 12 months.
But I was scared and hardly ate anything for those first 3 months. Just a small meal in the evening, a bowl of soup, a sandwich or something like that. No alcohol or anything remotely sweet. I lost around 23 lbs in the first 3 months.

I hope your 3 month HbA1c shows a reduction in your blood sugar levels. I can understand why you don't want to test at the moment, but I hope you will seriously consider testing after your next HbA1c.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grateful is someone that doesn't test at all and never has done. However, he threw himself into research and cut out all the major carbs and junk foods straight away, going very low carb. I imagine he didn't feel the need to test because he knew his meal choices were good ones, and was proved correct by reducing his HbA1c significantly on his first review test. (I hope I have got this right - if not, I apologise in advance.)

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grateful is someone that doesn't test at all and never has done. However, he threw himself into research and cut out all the major carbs and junk foods straight away, going very low carb. I imagine he didn't feel the need to test because he knew his meal choices were good ones, and was proved correct by reducing his HbA1c significantly on his first review test. (I hope I have got this right - if not, I apologise in advance.)

Yes he did and he did fantastically well. BUT as you've pointed out he has been very controlled about what he eats and drinks.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Red_river_
Pleased to see you back here. It took me several weeks to start to understand how I could get some control and 6 months to achieve the control I wanted so don't despair - it will take time and we all make plenty of mistakes but that is how we learn. Your HbA1c wasn't that high so hopefully even some small changes will help. You have to find a plan that you can keep going with and that works for you. Even some reduction in carbs will help so please don't despair.
Hi Hiitsme, thank you for your kind words. I am actually surprised with myself how good I've been. I find cutting carb is not as bad after all. I am on an all inclusive holiday so plenty of choices for food. For days now I have no carb for breakfast, very little for lunch and a handful of hard carb ( rice, potato or pasta) for dinner. I haven't touched anything sweet even though the temptation is always there. Drinks are strictly iced tea, iced coffee or infused water. Taking a sugar coated pill scares me too, I don't see the point of it. I think I am doing much more than what my nurse and my Gp advised. Even family say I don't need to be this careful as my level is not high, no need for totally cutting sugar out.. , but I am too scared not to do so. Of course it's still very early days, one month tomorrow since I was diagnosed, I just hope that I will be able to discipline myself like I do now.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Red_river_ I felt the same as you about testing, and didn't start testing until after my 3 month HbA1c re-test. Then I realised I wouldn't have any idea about how my blood sugar levels were until the next HbA1c after another 12 months.
But I was scared and hardly ate anything for those first 3 months. Just a small meal in the evening, a bowl of soup, a sandwich or something like that. No alcohol or anything remotely sweet. I lost around 23 lbs in the first 3 months.

I hope your 3 month HbA1c shows a reduction in your blood sugar levels. I can understand why you don't want to test at the moment, but I hope you will seriously consider testing after your next HbA1c.
Thank you Prem51 for your understanding. Seems we all go through the same route: too scare to eat anything. Bless you that first 3 months must be horrendous! I too was and still am scared to eat but thanks to lots of advices I was given here, I kind of feel I am going the right way so feel a bit more confident. My plan is to join the gym after Christmas, and probably get a meter too. I will see my nurse in two weeks and if she gives me a blood test, I will be able to know if my diet is any good.