Newly Diagnosed T2

Pacman28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

On 30th November I found myself in the A&E department of a London hospital receiving treatment for a severe headache which appeared out of the blue whilst at work. After some tests which indicated a BG of 24 I was told I had diabetes although they were not sure whether it was type 1 or 2. After three days I was sent home from Hospital with both Metformin and Insulin which I took for 2 weeks until I saw the hospital consultant who confirmed the diagnosis as Type 2. I was immediately taken off Insulin and the metformin dosage doubled to 1g twice a day.

Back at home in Essex I was sent to see my Doctor who then sent me to their diabetic Nurse who asked for fresh blood tests to be done before she could see me. I had the blood tests last week and the appointment with the Nurse today. She told me my HbA1c was 'high' @ 66 and that the Doctor wanted to see me about increasing my Metformin dosage from the current 2mg a day. I reminded the nurse that I was only diagnosed in December and therefore have only had one month of the tablets and dietary changes I have made. She then said I should book further blood tests in three months and another appointment with her. I'm still under the care of the London based Consultant with whom I have a follow up appointment scheduled for 12th February. His last letter (from 13th December) to my Doctor stated he would discharge me to my Doctors care if all is well at the 12th Feb appointment.

I asked the Nurse about eye screening and was told an appointment would be made in due course.

I also asked if I could see a dietician and was told it would be in about 6 months. Working out what to eat and in what quantity is proving to be tricky. The hospital consultant told me to 'just eat normally with smaller portions'. My Doctor said 'no way' and to cut out as much sugar and carbs as possible. The Diabetic Nurse told me to follow something called the Eatwell plate. I understand low carbs and low sugar is better but it seems to me everything low carbs and sugar is high fat and salt. I find myself looking at every food wrapper or packet before I buy anything but still end up confused as to what is 'low'.

Due to the initial uncertainty over whether I was Type 1 or 2, the Hospital issued me with 2 BG testers and I have been able to get additional supplies on prescription. I have been testing BG at 9pm most evenings which is normally 2 hours after eating and for the last few days have averaged around 5.4.

Occasionally I wake during the night to find my pyjamas literally soaked in sweat. Some days it is so bad that I have to change the bed sheets in addition to my pyjamas! The Nurse advised me to test my BG when that happens.

I have also had high blood pressure for about 5 years but that now seems under better control and was 136/76 when taken by the Nurse earlier.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome!

Kind regards,

Peter

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pacman, welcome to our lovely little corner of the internet. I was diagnosed Type 2 last May with an HbA1c of 70. I’m on Metformin 500mgs x 3 per day. I found this forum the night I was diagnosed and took up a low carb life style and self monitoring. At first I kept to under 100g per day and saw my blood sugars come down gradually. After six weeks they Plateaued so I reduced down to between 50-70g per day. That’s where I stay. My HbA1c is now at a non diabetic level. As for testing you need to be methodical, recording before and two hours after meals. Record exactly what you’ve eaten and your results to see how different meals suit you. Here are the levels you’re aiming for:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
Finally let me tag @daisy1 who’ll post loads of useful info for you.
Any questions just post them, there’s always someone willing to help.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Everything is confusing at first. It takes a while to get your head round it all, but it does all sink in eventually and gets a lot easier. You have done the right thing finding this forum and joining us. You will get a lot of help and support here.

The hospital consultant told me to 'just eat normally with smaller portions'. My Doctor said 'no way' and to cut out as much sugar and carbs as possible. The Diabetic Nurse told me to follow something called the Eatwell plate.

Of those three options, your doctor has the best plan.
Eating normally? Does that include cakes, biscuits, pies, fruit, bread etc? Not a good idea for T2 diabetics.
The Eatwell Plate? This NHS advice is bad enough for non-diabetics, but is a disaster for T2's. Far too many carbs and not enough fats.
Cut out sugar and as many carbs as possible? Great plan.

All carbs turn to glucose once inside the system - ALL carbs, including the wholemeal varieties. As our blood stream is chokker block full of glucose and our bodies struggle to clear it, it makes total sense not to put even more in our mouths. Sugar is just another carb.

Use your meter to guide you in food choices. Test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Look at the rise from before to after. It needs to be under 2mmol/l. More than that and there are too many carbs in that meal. If you also keep a detailed food diary and record your levels alongside you will soon see patterns emerging, giving you the chance to reduce portion sizes of carbs or eliminate the worst ones altogether. It is necessary to be consistent and organised. This method is called eating to your meter. It won't be long before you find a perfect and sustainable way of eating.

Good luck, and please ask questions.

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat is not the demon that it is made out to be by dieticians - fats are actually essential foods, carbs are not.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suggest sign up with the low carb program to understand about the correct nutrition and diet including portion size!

https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

Eliminate high carbs ie potatoes, white bread, pasta, noodles, flour, cereals, sweet fruits, squash, parsnips, peanuts, sunflower, canola which are rich in omega 6 cooking oils, sauces ie ketchup etc with hidden sugars and carbs.

Go for low glycemic “above ground” vegetables ie broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cabbage etc.

Healthy fats are avocados, walnuts, pecan, Brazil nuts, extra virgin olive oil, salmon.

There are also tons of recipes for low carb Keto bread, cakes, chocolates, meals on the diet doctor website and YouTube.

www.dietdoctor.com

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pacman28

There is lots of VERY good advice above but an eye opener for me was not long after I was diagnosed.
My wife follows slimming world - Low fat good diet (but not for T2). She loves yoghurt - I like it but the bl00dy fridge is full of the stuff.
Out shopping after being diagnosed, I picked up Greek yoghurt - I think it was Tesco Own label. One was Full Fat and the other was Low Fat. Same brand, same size etc. Guess which one had the most sugar in - even my wife was very surprised. From memory the low fat one had about 15/20% more sugar in. As a diabetic, putting more sugar into my body does not sound like a good idea.

The only thing I can add to all the advice is ask your GP/Nurse about the X PERT course. Its was a free course prescribed by Dr - It help me get to grips with Diabetes
https://www.xperthealth.org.uk/

There are probably other courses that some of the other members can recommend

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As you have a meter, try testing before you starting eating a meal, and 2hr after the meal. Any meal that results in a BG increase of more than 2 should not be repeated.

Your GP is right about avoiding all sugar and any food with lots of carbs in it, as both directly increase your blood sugar. Fats (other then transfats) are no longer thought to be a health issue. Some fats like olive oil have proven to proven to be of great benefit. Most of us find that the key is to cook all of our own food, have no ready meals, and often have eggs for breakfast.

(When you next see your GP, it may be worth telling him/her that the nurse is undermining the no sugar / low carb message.)

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
@Pacman28

There is lots of VERY good advice above but an eye opener for me was not long after I was diagnosed.
My wife follows slimming world - Low fat good diet (but not for T2). She loves yoghurt - I like it but the bl00dy fridge is full of the stuff.
Out shopping after being diagnosed, I picked up Greek yoghurt - I think it was Tesco Own label. One was Full Fat and the other was Low Fat. Same brand, same size etc. Guess which one had the most sugar in - even my wife was very surprised. From memory the low fat one had about 15/20% more sugar in. As a diabetic, putting more sugar into my body does not sound like a good idea.

The only thing I can add to all the advice is ask your GP/Nurse about the X PERT course. Its was a free course prescribed by Dr - It help me get to grips with Diabetes
https://www.xperthealth.org.uk/

There are probably other courses that some of the other members can recommend

5years ago I lost over 3 stone to improve my lifestyle after being diagnosed with high blood pressure. One of the things I cut out was low fat yogurt and skimmed milk. I eat full fat Greek yogurt instead The weight fell off and has not returned. I also cut out breakfast cereal of all sorts and now eat eggs for breakfast.
I do now have borderline diabetes that I am trying to sort out, perhaps because of genetics or my age, but am so glad I cut the low fat c**p out of my diet then as I feel I'd have a much bigger problem now had I not done so. I also eat more fat. I had followed the low fat [and high carb] way of eating for far too long and it wasn't sustainable, the weight always returned.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Pacman28

Hello Peter and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Pacman28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Thanks to all for your responses, very helpful indeed!

I have been booked on a local awareness day course called STEP next week which will hopefully provide some useful information.

I have decided to follow the suggestion of testing before meals and then 2 hours after. I did that at lunchtime today with the following results:

Before meal @ 1pm - 5.8
2 hours after meal @ 3:30pm 9.3
Meant to take Metformin a little after my meal but didn't take them until 3:30

Before evening meal @ 6:30 - 4.4
Unfortunately I was out at tennis this evening and didn't have my test kit!

I'll test again tomorrow but as it's my 50th Birthday tomorrow it is going to be difficult to keep it completely 'normal' - I'll be as good as I can though.

Thanks again, Peter.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Thanks to all for your responses, very helpful indeed!

I have been booked on a local awareness day course called STEP next week which will hopefully provide some useful information.

I have decided to follow the suggestion of testing before meals and then 2 hours after. I did that at lunchtime today with the following results:

Before meal @ 1pm - 5.8
2 hours after meal @ 3:30pm 9.3
Meant to take Metformin a little after my meal but didn't take them until 3:30

Before evening meal @ 6:30 - 4.4
Unfortunately I was out at tennis this evening and didn't have my test kit!

I'll test again tomorrow but as it's my 50th Birthday tomorrow it is going to be difficult to keep it completely 'normal' - I'll be as good as I can though.

Thanks again, Peter.

Hi Peter,

I used to be a semi-pro tennis player!

Where do you play?

Please private message me!

Btw, Happy Birthday!!!

Andrew