1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly Diagnosed T2

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Nottsandy, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Nottsandy

Nottsandy Type 2 · Member

Hi Everybody

I have been pre diabetic for about 4 years now my HbA1c has been in the high 40's (46-47) I followed the 5:2 diet for a year and my reading dropped to 43 which I was disappointed about and thought "that was a waste of time and effort" how wrong was I.

I have just had my yearly check up and my reading is now 49 I know its not horrendous but non the less I am now classed as T2
    Diabetic which has now given me the kick up the backside I needed after having the attitude it will never happen to me!

Anyway the doctors phoned me yesterday to tell me they had a book for me to read Dr Moseley 8 week diet which I picked up last night and I have almost read it.

I will post updates of my journey to see if I can reverse the result with diet and exercise

What a great site this is thank you all.

Andrew

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,
    Welcome to the site. Let us know how it goes.

3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

4. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew,

The Mosley diet is a good start from what I understand, but there's a few for-life changes to keep any progress made, afterwards. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- Something to read before you hit the next book. (May I suggest Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code next for your nightstand? :) ).

All in all, your HbA1C is just barely in the diabetic range. Should be easy enough to get back into the non-diabetic range, and stay there.
    Good luck!
    Jo

5. Nottsandy

Thanks everybody for your replies I certainly will look the books up and have a read.
    I think now I have had that kick in the backside I am determined to make a life long change.
    Andrew

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Nottsandy

Hi Everybody
    I hope you are all keeping well and safe.
    Well my 8 week fast weight loss ended on Sunday so as promised here is my progress/results. I am still waiting to be called back to my doctors for a follow up Type 2 test but I don't suppose that will be happening any time soon.

My starting weight was 13 stone 11lb my waist at its fattest point around my belly button was 43 inch
    I now weigh 12 stone 2lb and my waist is 38 inch I just hope it has had an effect on my HbA1c reading.
    I must say I have been eating food I would never have even tried before and enjoyed eating it too I might add.
    I will post again after I have had my test
    Stay Safe
    Andrew

• Winner Winner x 2
    #6 Nottsandy, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  7. Nottsandy

Just had my HbA1c results after following my diet, it has gone from 49 to 45.
    I know it's still in the prediabetic range but I will take it as a big positive.
    Andy

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Massive hug, well done!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Nottsandy

Thanks for the support

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook