1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed T2

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by storminad, Feb 28, 2021.

1. storminad

storminad · Newbie

Hello.
    I have been newly diagnosed with T2 (Nov 20)
    HBA1c 57. 8.3.
    Advised to diet.
    Vegetarian. Low carb. Low fat. Lost 9lb .

No support, advice or follow up since.

January 21.

Blood pressure through the roof - 200/110. New meds raise blood sugar levels
    High cholesterol. New meds also raise blood sugar levels
    Taking steroids for microscopic colitis. Also raising blood sugar levels.

No diabetic education. Told to buy blood sugar monitor. Done.
    Also told to buy blood pressure monitor. Done.
    Bought some books. Read them.
    Fitbit. Walking average 7km per day.
    Weight loss stagnant now.

Lost and alone.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Out of interest are you vegetarian because you are or is this recent? Asking because I was when I was diagnosed but after returning to meat and other animal products I reduced my Hba1c from 112 to 35 within three months. Realised my vegetarian way of eating was very high carb.

• Like Like x 1
  3. storminad

storminad · Newbie

Hi. I have been vegetarian for two years but i do eat oily fish. My veggies are overground. No root veg. No pots, rice pasta and only one slice of rye bread per day. Limited fruit. No sugar. Limited dairy. Everything is ‘light’. Thanks for replying.

4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

If you mean 'light' as in low fat, that isn't a good option, as many low fat foods have carbs added to make them more palatable.

6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi and welcome. You don't need to do low fat as fats have little effect on blood sugar and fats can help reduce carb hunger.

7. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,

Another who agrees to ditch the low calorie or low fat stuff. I started determined to concentrate on my blood sugar levels. I didn't count the protein or fat. I kept my b blood sugars down and lost 30 kg. The weight loss has stalled- I have been guilty of carb creep- I comfort eat. It's still low carb but more than 10 grams which was my normal. I plan to resign my stressful job in a week or two (no job to go to yet but I do have a mortgage). I realised that the stress is raising my blood sugar levels and so is my comfort eating- it is actually killing me :(. I have never not worked and the thought of not having a job is stressing me a bit but I need to get well.

I will stop the carb creep as of tomorrow. I'm actually at home sick today the first sick day for over a year. I really just couldn't get out of bed this morning. I will stop the carb creep- maybe suffer through the keto flu? but back on the right way of eating.

Things I like eating on low carb is pork crackling on the roast, chicken skin on the roast, cream in coffee, eggs and bacon etc. so there are a lot of low carb options.

Good luck.

• Hug Hug x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook