Newly diagnosed T2

storminad

Hello.
I have been newly diagnosed with T2 (Nov 20)
HBA1c 57. 8.3.
Advised to diet.
Vegetarian. Low carb. Low fat. Lost 9lb .

No support, advice or follow up since.

January 21.

Blood pressure through the roof - 200/110. New meds raise blood sugar levels
High cholesterol. New meds also raise blood sugar levels
Taking steroids for microscopic colitis. Also raising blood sugar levels.

No diabetic education. Told to buy blood sugar monitor. Done.
Also told to buy blood pressure monitor. Done.
Bought some books. Read them.
Fitbit. Walking average 7km per day.
Weight loss stagnant now.

Lost and alone.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of interest are you vegetarian because you are or is this recent? Asking because I was when I was diagnosed but after returning to meat and other animal products I reduced my Hba1c from 112 to 35 within three months. Realised my vegetarian way of eating was very high carb.

Reactions: VashtiB

storminad

Hi. I have been vegetarian for two years but i do eat oily fish. My veggies are overground. No root veg. No pots, rice pasta and only one slice of rye bread per day. Limited fruit. No sugar. Limited dairy. Everything is ‘light’. Thanks for replying.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you mean 'light' as in low fat, that isn't a good option, as many low fat foods have carbs added to make them more palatable.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You don't need to do low fat as fats have little effect on blood sugar and fats can help reduce carb hunger.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Another who agrees to ditch the low calorie or low fat stuff. I started determined to concentrate on my blood sugar levels. I didn't count the protein or fat. I kept my b blood sugars down and lost 30 kg. The weight loss has stalled- I have been guilty of carb creep- I comfort eat. It's still low carb but more than 10 grams which was my normal. I plan to resign my stressful job in a week or two (no job to go to yet but I do have a mortgage). I realised that the stress is raising my blood sugar levels and so is my comfort eating- it is actually killing me :(. I have never not worked and the thought of not having a job is stressing me a bit but I need to get well.

I will stop the carb creep as of tomorrow. I'm actually at home sick today the first sick day for over a year. I really just couldn't get out of bed this morning. I will stop the carb creep- maybe suffer through the keto flu? but back on the right way of eating.

Things I like eating on low carb is pork crackling on the roast, chicken skin on the roast, cream in coffee, eggs and bacon etc. so there are a lot of low carb options.

Good luck.