1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

List of some Low Carb Vegetarian Dishes

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by nutribolt, Feb 27, 2021.

1. nutribolt

nutribolt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have been on Low carb / Keto diet and have had success with the diet I have been following so I created a pdf and uploaded here with various dishes I use in rotation. Its mostly vegetarian diet and where I have used chicken, i have included a Vegetarian alternative.

The dishes may not work for vegans though.

@Goonergal suggested I provide the link here as people may find it useful, hence this post.

You can find the pdf here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/nutribolt.533316/

Any feedback / suggestions / ideas will be gratefully received.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #1 nutribolt, Feb 27, 2021 at 2:56 PM
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Thanks: some good ideas I’ve not seen before. I appreciate how you’ve collated everything into one place for anyone new.

My main suggestion is that rather than use celeriac as a swap for potatoes; I recommend swede - either cubed or made into chips, coat in oil, season and roast for 20-25 mins at 200 degrees. Only 2g carbs per 100g (I think they taste slightly sweeter than potatoes, but similar texture and they’re “cheap as chips” ).

• Like Like x 1
  3. nutribolt

ah - I did not know that. I will try this out for sure as Swede is available in my local Sainsburys. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nutribolt

I tried this today when breaking my 72 hours fast and I must admit it did taste wonderful. Although for some reason it caused a significant spike for me :(

I will try once again in few days and see if it was a one off or like Cauliflower my body just doesn't agree with Swede as well... it will be a shame though as I really loved the chips.

5. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That is a shame; just shows how we’re all different.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nutribolt

Hey I had the swede chips again today and no spike so thats good news... must have been one-off the other day.

Thanks so much for the tip... these are so so close to the real thing and as I have not had real chips for well over 5 months these tasted like the real deal so my brain was most definitely tricked. :)

7. dms1

dms1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you nutribolt - this is a really helpful summary which you have made. It's a useful aide-memoire and also a nudge to me to re-visit the advice on fasting. I have been using intermittent fasting for a few years now - nothing to eat between early supper until lunch next day - but have never felt confident enough to try alternate day. I will also be trying out some of your recipes (veganising where necessary).

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook