Newly diagnosed Type 1 - Carbs and Insulin ratio

Thrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

I've recently been diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 23 after a fair few months of struggling with feeling absolutely naff all day every day.

I'm on NovoRapid, 2 Units with breakfast, lunch and evening meal then 2 Units of Levemir before bed. I'm eager to learn more about Type 1 but the internet's a bit of a minefield when it comes to advice. On the plus side for the last few days since being on insulin I feel absolutely fantastic, my energy levels have risen back to my normal bouncing off the wall levels.

I'm trying to work out my Insulin to Carbohydrate Ratio but struggling to work out the easiest way to do this, could somebody explain in simplistic terms how to work it out? I've scoured the internet and each explanation seems overly complex.

All I really need to know is before my meal how much insulin will I need to combat those carbs - I have yet to have a hypo so I must be doing something right!

My diabetic nurse is great but I feel like a nightmare keep calling for simple questions. Diabetes is a huge topic and I have it for life and want to understand it fully.

Thanks all, appreciate your replies in advance.

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, when you are first diagnosed and in the “honeymoon period” working a it carbs to insulin is a nightmare.
It is different for everyone and less predictable when you are honeymooning.
However, if you are having a fixed amount of insulin with breakfast and it is keeping your BG from going too high or going hypo, you could calculate how many carbs in your breakfast and divide this by the amount of insulin you take which will give you an approximate ratio.
That said, I would advise against running before you have walked a fair way. If what you are doing works, stick with it: 2 units of insulin is pretty low.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Thrill and welcome to the site :)

Yes the internet is a huge mine field ! The truth about t1 is there is no ‘one size fits all,’ it’s unique to you and so this is where recording data and watching your results will guide you on how your doing. For information pick up ‘think like a pancreas’ it’s a really useful read.

Also remember no question is too silly so don’t be afraid to ask if you are unsure if anything.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your in the induction period dont diet at the moment they need to get your insulin dose right. once they have stablized you and its under control then if you want to reduce your carb load to reduce your insulin needs you can. however it takes skill to adjust your insulin to match your intake. your goalis to avoid going low now. as a type 1 you dont need to carb count like use type2 but it can help.

Thrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @helensaramay, @Juicyj and @paulus1 - thank you for your responses and your welcoming! I'm a huge worrier and just want to understand it all instantly, which I appreciate will not happen with Diabetes :)

The Consultant and my DB has started me on very low levels of insulin which seems to be doing the trick, we're sitting between 5 mmol and 6.8 mmol throughout the day which I understand is good. My body is just getting used to the lower blood sugar levels after a good 6 months of high levels.

Appreciate your responses, really do. I guess I'll stick to whats working at the moment, I'm sure it gets easier as time goes by - I am learning to listen to my bodies needs more, something before diabetes we fail to do as humans.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Sibyl

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Carbs and cals is a brilliant app try to download it there are pictures to help too.
Wish you luck its a learning curve but you will get there.

Stevec189

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can get a referral to a diabetes dietician. Mine has revolutionised my life after 40 years with T1! They will explain about the Carbs and work with the team to get you sorted. The thing with T1 is it is a whole person condition. If you remember that you will do fine.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im still on 2u Lantus and 1 dose of 2u Novorapid a day to cover one main meal. I have cut carbs down as its easier to manage, but not to the extremes of some.

Im currently having roughly 100g carbs for dinner and ive took 2 novorapid to help cover it. I know this works for me, as shortly I'll be off to work to burn off the excess sugar.

I've been honeymooning for 8 months with no signs of it ending.

Good luck.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
as a type 1 you dont need to carb count like use type2

Type 1's on novorapid do need to carb count as they are matching carbs to insulin.

Agree carbs and cals is a good guide, also try doing https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/ a really useful course for getting your head round carbs, knowledge is power with good type 1 management :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
your in the induction period dont diet at the moment they need to get your insulin dose right. once they have stablized you and its under control then if you want to reduce your carb load to reduce your insulin needs you can. however it takes skill to adjust your insulin to match your intake. your goalis to avoid going low now. as a type 1 you dont need to carb count like use type2 but it can help.
I am T1D and I carb count to adjust my insulin for what I eat.

Hi @Thrill welcome to the forum. And welcome to T1D. As has been said no question is too stupid to ask. There are some amazing people on here who are more than glad to give help and advice when needed.

Reactions: Juicyj and Sibyl
Type of diabetes
Type 1
After 6 months or so you should be eligible to attend a DAFNE course.
This course is excellent and will educate you on all you need to know about carbs and units of insulin.
I went on the course in December and learnt an awfull lot.

Reactions: Juicyj and Sibyl

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The normal start-point for the carbs ratio for carb-counting is 1 unit of fast acting insulin to 10gm of carbs. You can vary that slightly as you gain experience and can always go slightly lower at first to avoid hypos.

Thrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a look at the BERTIE course and started using an app to help work out my carb intake (generally I eat a lot of carbs). My metabolism is very high so eat a lot throughout the day. A full 7 days and I'm getting to grips with how my body works and how much insulin I require.

Thanks all for your advice