Newly diagnosed Type 1

Shezzyk7

Hi all. My name is Shez and I’m a 29 year old newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed after my night shift when I went in to DKA. Long story short, I’m now on insulin (lantus 10, novarapid 4 basal Bolus regimen).

I've got one of these new freestyle libre sensors to keep track of my BMs. I’m very fresh from the diagnosis (2 days). My BMs have been hovering between 11-19mmol since treatment. My diabetic endocrinologist has advised me to not rush lowering my BMs to avoid blurred vision but to ensure my ketones do not overshoot.

My main question is the impact on my gym. I'm 5"9, currently weighing 65kg (I was 75kg 3 months ago) and im a keen gym goer. How should I structure my meals and insulin around my gym plan? I used to eat a heavy high carb and protein meal after my workout but I suppose that's going to tip my BMs over the roof if I do that now? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shezzyk7 . Welcome to the forum.
You’ve got a lot to learn but here’s the good news...... there are a lot of T1’s on the forum who will be onlyto happy to help.
St this point in time I would suggest that you stick to doing exactly what you’ve been doing gym and food wise.
What you need first is to gather as much information as possible.
Type and duration of workout.
BS during and after workout.
Food eaten prior and after training.
Insulin administered and at what times in relation to eating.
Armed with this information you can start to tailor your management to suit you.
Most importantly at this time is this....DO NOT let your diagnosis stop you doing anything you enjoy.
A few tips for when you’re working out.
Keep checking BS levels on a regular basis during your workout.
Keep fast acting carbs close to hand. Orange juice, Glucotabs, jelly babies etc.
Let others in the gym know that you have T1 and how to assist you should the occasion arise.
Keep posting, there’s a lot to learn. No question is silly.

D

Deleted Account

Great advice above.
The things about diabetes is we are all different.
Some things work for one person and the next will behave differently.

When exercising two diabetes related things happen
- your body becomes more efficient using insulin. As a result your BG may fall
- your liver releases glucose. As a result your BG may rise

Which if these things has priority depends on things such as your fitness, the duration and the type of exercise. Typically, cardio will reduce BG and resistance training will raise it. But HIIT is likely to raise it as it has shorter bursts.

And then, after exercise, as a result of the liver releasing glucose during exercise, your glucose reserves are low so you may experience low BG for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Trial and error will help you understand what does what for you.
Start with your usual regime and tweak it as you go along.

And always keep your hypo treatment close to hand.

Shezzyk7

@Shezzyk7 . Welcome to the forum.
You’ve got a lot to learn but here’s the good news...... there are a lot of T1’s on the forum who will be onlyto happy to help.
St this point in time I would suggest that you stick to doing exactly what you’ve been doing gym and food wise.
What you need first is to gather as much information as possible.
Type and duration of workout.
BS during and after workout.
Food eaten prior and after training.
Insulin administered and at what times in relation to eating.
Armed with this information you can start to tailor your management to suit you.
Most importantly at this time is this....DO NOT let your diagnosis stop you doing anything you enjoy.
A few tips for when you’re working out.
Keep checking BS levels on a regular basis during your workout.
Keep fast acting carbs close to hand. Orange juice, Glucotabs, jelly babies etc.
Let others in the gym know that you have T1 and how to assist you should the occasion arise.
Keep posting, there’s a lot to learn. No question is silly.

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

Is it normal to expect high BMs in the early stages? Should I stick to the regimen I have now or supplement insulin doses to keep the sugars between 6-8mmol?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
D

Deleted Account

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

Is it normal to expect high BMs in the early stages? Should I stick to the regimen I have now or supplement insulin doses to keep the sugars between 6-8mmol?
I would refer to your diabetes team to answer that.
Typically, it is not a great idea to reduce your BG too quickly.

Reactions: Shezzyk7

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shezzyk7 . With being diagnosed so recently I wouldn’t worry to much about trying to get BS levels between 6/ 8 at the moment.
You may well go through the honeymoon period, basically your pancreas will sporadically provide different amounts of insulin when you least expect it. This makes keeping tight control a little tricky to saythe least. Good news the honeymoon will pass and things become more predictable.
If you feel comfortable, confident and able to adjust your insulin regime then by all means approach your DSN and ask for there thoughts. Personally I would leave it for a few weeks though.
As Helen says above, we are all different so it is ultimately your choice.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Shezzyk7 , welcome to the club!

There's a sub-forum thread to do with managing exercise and insulin which might be worth a look at:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/managing-exercise-and-insulin.127691/page-8

The main thing to think about is that insulin lets glucose into cells to be used as energy, and when you exercise (and that is not only gym stuff, it's also just walking) some chemistry called Glut4, glucose transporter 4, comes to the surface of each muscle cell when they contract during exercise and those let glucose into the cell as well.

That can end up as a double whammy, both insulin and glut4 lowering bg, leading to messy hypos.

Doesn't mean you can't exercise, far from it, it means that when you're sitting down for a meal, remember that insulin lasts for about 5 hrs, so if you are planning on exercise during that time frame, think about tailing back the dose a bit, otherwise the insulin and glut4 together can get messy - you can tail back the insulin because you know that the glut4 will lower without it.

Knowing how much and when to tail it back is a highly individual experience and it'll take you a bit of time to learn what works for you.

It's not a precise science, because biology is messy, and you will make mistakes, we all do, but you can learn a lot from them, so don't get too disheartened when it's not playing by the rules.

The fixed 4u regime you're on is fairly standard for newly dx'd. It lets the docs get a better idea of ratios for you, but after you've settled down a bit, it'll be pretty much free range on dose amounts.

You'll end up making decisions about whether you need 4 or 8 or 12 units for whatever meal you want to eat so there'll be a whole lot more leeway on meal choices but in these early days it does make sense to rein things in a bit to reduce the amount of variables involved.

You'll be surprised by how much leeway there is. This site is mainly for T2 low carbing diabetics. That is a totally different condition with different management techniques, tending towards low carbing. It makes sense for them (T2s are generally insulin resistant, so carbs are always going to be a problem as insulin doesn't do what it's supposed to do).

With T1, though, insulin resistance isn't an issue - we inject insulin, it lowers our bg. With us, it's more a case of moderating portion sizes, thinking about matching the time pattern of insulin to the absorption rate of carbs.

I'd ignore any advice you get to reduce carbs - they are perfectly manageable once you understand how insulin works. That's not to say you should be scoofing full sugar gatorade and doughnuts - those would be difficult to manage. It's more about portion size.

You'll likely read about the wonders of low carb/keto. There's a place for them, no doubt about it, but they involve more or less ruling out an entire food group, massively reducing your menu choices when eating out, so don't make any decisions about those till you know a lot more - many of us find that we can manage and enjoy a reasonable amount of carbs if we pay attention to pre-bolusing (timing the injection before eating so the insulin has enough time to start working before carbs start turning into glucose).

Your docs running you at 11 to 19 is fine for the moment. In the long term, the aim is for the 4 to 7 range, but for now, it's a bit like bringing a deep sea diver up from depth: too quick and it gets messy, so do it in stages, as your body will have become accustomed to higher levels pre-dx and dragging it down to 5 straight away won't be nice.

It's interesting to see you've been given libre so soon. It's a marvellous device. Many of us are using it with 3rd party transmitters like blucon and miaomiao to turn it into proper cgm, so maybe explore that at some point. It's hugely reassuring being able to play about with doses knowing your phone will ring to warn you about a developing low.

I'd recommend some reading, all on kindle, all written by T1s who also happen to be endos or T1 hcps:

Think Like a Pancreas, Gary Scheiner.

Sugar Surfing, Stephen Ponder.

Beyond Fingersticks, William Lee Dubois.

Good luck, mate, I was an angry young man (21) in the first few months after my dx, but a year later, I was standing on a ski slope on a beautiful sunny day in the Scottish Highlands, I'd figured out enough by then to stitch T1 into skiing for 6 hrs and a mid-session bacon roll and it was all good.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Coincidentally I'm flying for my honeymoon in a few weeks. I got diagnosed the day before my wedding...
Congratulations and hi!
By the time you fly you will be feeling better plus more confident. Lots of us manage exercise and insulin here and since you've got a great tool (FSL) you can start to observe what happens when you exercise.
I don't think any of us can do as good a job as our own pancreas s once did but we can do a good enough job to live a normal life.
I've never had any issues flying with my kit but it may be worth checking this forum for tips.
Happy honeymooning x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Shezzyk7 ,

Welcome to the forum. & congratulations on your wedding too.

I cant really add much more than already been said. Not a big fan of info overloading. (bite sized chunks, & you'll get there.)
However, as good as the Libre is. Check you BGs off on the graph against the "traditional" blood test meter at times like bolusing for meals, during your workout sessions. & if/when you feel the low?

Reactions: Dodo and Shezzyk7

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Coincidentally I'm flying for my honeymoon in a few weeks. I got diagnosed the day before my wedding...
Congrats on that, having a partner who knows about hypos can be very helpful at times. :)

As others have said, listen to your medical team about your blood sugar targets, this is a marathon not a sprint and at the moment you should concentrate on learning how your body reacts to exercise, insulin and carbs. Everyone's a little different and unfortunately things such as illness, exercise and stress can also affect how you process insulin.

It's awesome that you have a libre. For some people it works very very well and can (mostly) replace finger prick tests, but be aware that
1) the libre reading is 15 minutes behind your actual blood sugar.
2) It can be quite inaccurate at low (hypo) levels and at high levels (if you're not feeling hypo then I'd do a blood test before assuming a libre hypo warning is accurate, though if you're feeling at all "off" it's best to treat the hypo first).
3) Some sensors are inaccurate and a few people have bodies that never get good results from the libre, so it's worth checking with blood tests with each new sensor. There are add-ons and apps you can get to make the libre more accurate but I don't want to overload you with info on your first post.

Having said that, if you do get good results with it (most people do) then it's a great device to take to the gym (and everywhere else). As a T1 for 49 years, I can say that hypos (low blood sugar below 4 mmol/L) are the thing I hate most about the illness. I'm old and overweight and I have some insulin resistance, so circuit training at the gym can make my blood sugar plummet. (I've got to the stage where I do a blood sugar after a circuit and take glucose tablets accordingly). But if you're young, fit and thin then you probably don't have much insulin resistance, so this may not be an issue at all, but having the libre means you'll be able to do a frequent swipe, and be sure that you don't risk a hypo.

As regards your trip, take all your diabetic stuff as hand luggage, with a letter saying you're T1 (you're unlikely to need it unless you're going somewhere really obscure), and you shouldn't have any issues.

Good luck. Diabetes is a pain, but there are very few things that you can't do as a T1. (Astronaut is out, though.)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Shezzyk7 Hi and a big welcome to the forum, it's a club where no one wants to join. You have had fantastic replies to your post, so I can't add anything else. Except to say, congratulations and have a wonderful honeymoon and a long and a happy life together, take care.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do remember to tell your travel insurance people though - if you don't tell them something they'll use it as an excuse if you need to claim for something (whether its related to it or not)

Shezzyk7

Thank you all for your amazing advice and kind wishes.

I’ll make sure to use the advice when travelling (thanks Rokaab) and check the other forum for the exercise advice.

This forum really is amazing at answering every question under the sun about DM! :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shezzyk7 Rotten timing with the diagnosis, but congratulations on the marriage. And welcome.
Early days, so I would say concentrate for now on getting yourself feeling as well as possible and confident in the day to day management, so that you can go off and enjoy your honeymoon.
Your teams advice about reducing your levels gradually is very important for your eyes. They don’t seem to like a quick reduction in levels. Also, it will enable you to become used to the feelings of lower levels gradually.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Where you currently have high carbs after the workout I would tend to make them low-GI to minimise spikes and to convert some of those carbs to fats? How about having some of those carbs before the workout rather than afterwards. Although it's commonly said on these forums that T1s will have a different diet from T2s I tend to disagree. There will be differences but T1s may well still need to watch the carbs to avoid weight gain as insulin enables the body to metabolise them. Going to the gym will, of course, enable more carbs to be eaten. I agree that letting any blurred vision fade away slowly is a good idea. I had blurred vision at diagnosis but that went away within a week or so as my sugars came under control with tablets and low-carbing. If you haven't yet had carb-counting explained to you make sure over the coming weeks that you adjust your Novorapid to the carbs you eat as this is very important as a gym goer to have the best control.

Shezzyk7

Hi and welcome. Where you currently have high carbs after the workout I would tend to make them low-GI to minimise spikes and to convert some of those carbs to fats? How about having some of those carbs before the workout rather than afterwards. Although it's commonly said on these forums that T1s will have a different diet from T2s I tend to disagree. There will be differences but T1s may well still need to watch the carbs to avoid weight gain as insulin enables the body to metabolise them. Going to the gym will, of course, enable more carbs to be eaten. I agree that letting any blurred vision fade away slowly is a good idea. I had blurred vision at diagnosis but that went away within a week or so as my sugars came under control with tablets and low-carbing. If you haven't yet had carb-counting explained to you make sure over the coming weeks that you adjust your Novorapid to the carbs you eat as this is very important as a gym goer to have the best control.

Thanks for your advice!

Before my diagnosis, I have been calorie counting on the app, MyFitnessPal. I’ve been looking over it and my diet has been split 50:20:30 (carbs:fat:protein). Do you think I should make it more even 33:33:33?

I have read online that I should adjust my insulin for 1 unit per 10g of carbs. Is that right?

With regards to the gym, apart from measuring BMs before and after and having glucose on standby, are there any other precautions one should take?

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
When it comes to insulin and carbs we are all different. What works for you won’t work for the next person. You have so much happening at once, I would suggest slowing down just a bit. Once you have things settled down then bring the gym back into play, gradually and once where you are at with the gym keep it consistent. When I started riding into work 40km a day my insulin consumption dropped in half. It took about a week for that to happen and I was having terrible hypos for about a week until I got everything sorted. If you have a good medical team work with them. Once it is all sorted your life will get back to normal and D will only be a minor inconvenience for most of the time.
Welcome to the club.