Newly diagnosed Type 2 help

Tooks

Hi
I'm sure you get this daily
I was diagnosed type 2 3 weeks ago
I had a blood fasting glucose reading 19.1
I was addicted to full fat coke drinking minimum 1 litre a day for 40 years.
After diagnoses I fully cut coke sweets chocolate bars etc. I've been doing my best with diet but it's really hard.
Lots of meat and fish but just eating veg doesnt fill me up.
So I've been taking smaller potato portions or small wholegrain rice
I had cancer 30 years ago and that has freaked me out. Even pricking my finger which hasn't happened yet fills me with fear
I just hate needles
I had my first diabetic nurse meeting and she said dont count your carbs consumed just reduce number of carbs per day and only small handful of rice or pasta
I have next aPp Nov 12 where she will test bs
I'm thinking about the libre solution every 2 weeks
Any help and advice welcomed

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I'm sure you get this daily
I was diagnosed type 2 3 weeks ago
I had a blood fasting glucose reading 19.1
I was addicted to full fat coke drinking minimum 1 litre a day for 40 years.
After diagnoses I fully cut coke sweets chocolate bars etc. I've been doing my best with diet but it's really hard.
Lots of meat and fish but just eating veg doesnt fill me up.
So I've been taking smaller potato portions or small wholegrain rice
I had cancer 30 years ago and that has freaked me out. Even pricking my finger which hasn't happened yet fills me with fear
I just hate needles
I had my first diabetic nurse meeting and she said dont count your carbs consumed just reduce number of carbs per day and only small handful of rice or pasta
I have next aPp Nov 12 where she will test bs
I'm thinking about the libre solution every 2 weeks
Any help and advice welcomed
Hi @Tooks ,

First off, breathe. You're going to be okay. Have a read over here, it's a quick start guide so you know what to do with food and whatnot: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ (Basically everything I wish someone would've comprehensively told me at the beginning of my own journey, without having to plow through lots of books first while in a complete panic). That said, I do mention in there, and others here will too, that testing really does help... And that means finger pricking. Considering the traumatic experience you went through I do understand that may be a bridge too far for you at this point though... So might be best to just stick to the safe side and reduce carbs as much as you feel comfortable with. There are no essential carbs, you can do without them entirely, (provided you're not on gliclazide or insulin...!) and considering the changes you're making, anything you've cut already is a bonus. The diet doesn't have to be hard, as long as you find things that are filling, don't spike your bloodsugars and you actually ENJOY. That's in all caps because there's no way to keep this up if you hate what you're eating. That could mean a lot of eggs in all sorts of ways, leafy greens, above-ground veggies, extra dark chocolate, heavy cream, full fat greek yoghurt, cheeses, olives, avocado's, tomatoes, berries, nuts, meat, poultry, fish, pork scratchings.... Basically it's "just" cutting out cereal, bread and other products made with flour, spuds, rice, corn and pasta. Double up on the other stuff, and don't be afraid of fat. For a T2, fats are excellent: filling, they slow down any spike you might have had, and you still get the vitamins and minerals you otherwise might be missing out on with the carb cutting. So if you have a salad for instance, simply add that avocado, or tuna, olives, slightly melted goat's cheese, bacon, a drizzle of olive oil or a big dollop of mayo... It'll be filling as well as good for you, with both your bloodsugars and weight. Oh, and if you miss spuds and rice, try cauliflower rice or broccoli rice. Not filling on their own, but add some cheese and/or bacon and you've got a good meal. (I have it practically every evening with whatever meat/fish/poultry I've got, and add whatever herbs/spices tickle my fancy). In the beginning I ate the exact same thing every day and got bored out of my mind, took a while to get the hang of it, but.... Take your time, you'll get there.

As for the libre, it doesn't have a needle from what I understand, but a very fine filament that stays in your skin. So it'd still be a tiny little puncture. If you're okay with that, then I didn't mention it. It would be easier if you started using the blood glucose meter, step by step, in your own time, but if you're not ready yet, then that's that. Flying blind isn't advisable, but if you can't, you can't.

Hugs,
Jo

Tooks

Jo thank you so so much.
This is amazing help
I love all the veggies meat fish etc
Temptation is the killer
I'm only 78 kg so fat isnt an issue
I started on 1 metformin a day and all my symptoms went within 24 hours.(except vision blurry)
I'm now on 2000 mg a day as the nurse said it's the maximum and regular dose
I feel much better but am having around 100gms of carbs a day sometimes more so.etimes less
You hear so many different things your head is swamped

Last edited:
Reactions: Iffy12

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It is very common to feel overwhelmed- it will get better.

I understand the really horror and finger pricking- I too am needle phobic. I'm not going to lie- I don't like doing it but the thing that came with my meter is not too bad. You need to experiment so the depth is just deep enough. Having said that a meter is invaluable. The main thing you need to learn is what effect different foods have on your blood sugar levels. This is information you can use to change your levels.

I am a very low carb follower and have brought my levels down to non-diabetic levels in 3 months. You don't necessarily need to go as low carb as me (less than 20 grams a day). That really is the point of a meter. Most people seem to find that dramatically reducing their carbs also leads to a good reduction in their blood sugar levels. The amount of carbs our bodies tolerate and the carbs it can deal with vary from person to person. The only way to be sure is top test.

I agree with JoKalsbeek suggestion about cauliflower rice and add cauliflower (or cauliflower and broccoli ) mash with some cheese. I does fill you and helps me replace potato. Sonmne people can tolerate some form of potato but testing will let you know for sure.

There is a lot of information here and lots of amazing people- stick around read and post and you will gradually find it more manageable. The information here is in my view more reliable than from the medical profession- people on here have lived it.

Good luck and welcome.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no needles involved in the testing, the blood is got using a tiny pinprick, and once you've done it a few times you'll wonder why you were at all concerned about it - honest.
After eating low carb for a while you might well find that you don't want to eat as much - the foods are very nutritious and your body will adapt to that, with any luck. I used to eat two meals a day, but now I am eating less and less and not even the coffee with cream is tempting. If you don't keep eating the carbs your appetite is almost certain to change.

Reactions: Tooks