1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed type 2

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by jicjacs, Aug 18, 2019.

1. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Hi Everyone, I'm really struggling to get my head around that I'm a diabetic T2. I'm trying to understand the foods that I should eat, I really crave food right now all I'm eating is salads and chicken. Someone said I should be taking full fat milk but I read it should be semi skinned. Help

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @jicjacs and welcome to the forum

I’m sending a link to some useful information for newbies. Have a good read and ask as many questions as you like.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

It’s likely that you’re hungry because the chicken and salad doesn’t contain enough fat to satisfy you. The link above will explain a bit about diet, but you might also want to check out dietdoctor.com and the Low Carb Program on this site.

Many of us (myself included) have discovered that fat is not to be feared and is an important part of following a low carb way of eating that is helpful to blood sugar levels in those with type 2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The skinnier the milk the higher the carbs. Not good for T2's. Somebody will be along with a whole raft of information for you regarding diet, testing etc. etc. You are not alone. Loads of us have been where you are now. Hang in there.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Thank you Goonergal, I think being told that I'm diabetic was a total shock to the system, so confused and a bit scared.

• Hug Hug x 5
  5. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Thanks xfieldok I've been taking semi skinned milk in my tea, but I don't like drinking milk so it's a very small amount a day, soo confusing

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Goonergal

Staff Member

It’s very normal to be confused and scared. You have found a fabulous place in this forum - lots of friendly support and advice from people who’ve been through similar experiences. Do please ask questions and let us know how you’re getting on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @jicjacs

This IS scary, confusing time, so I'm really glad you found this place. I didn't until a year or so after I was diagnosed, and was floundering. If I had been here sooner, there'd've been less failed experimentation and more confidence in what I was doing. So... Three years after diagnosis and keeping my bloodsugars in the normal range without medication, I can tell you: You're going to be fine. I was where you are now, so were many, many others here.... And guess what? T2 can be controlled, you're not doomed, and things are going to be alright. And you don't have to live on salads and chicken. ;)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is my own quick start guide, and you might want to visit dietdoctor.com and read Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code... Once you have, maybe the fear you feel now will abate some.

You will be okay.
    Jo

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, I'm so glad I DID come across this site by chance it's the best. I will definitely let you all know how I get on as I had a bad day yesterday and ate so much rubbish and now feel so guilty

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rustytypin

Rustytypin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Personally I don’t bother with the small amount of carbs in the milk I have in tea. Looking at the big picture is more what matters to me. Cutting out carbs from bread, pasta, potatoes, and anything that contains sugar helps more. Unfortunately that includes most fruits which I love, but I do allow myself a few berries with yogurt a day. By following this regime I only have about 20 to 30 grams per day.
    Good luck!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Don't. Every day is a fresh start. And we all fall off the wagon at some point or another, for whatever reason. Frustration, grief, celebration... Heck, some people actually plan for it (like around Christmas or similar holidays, or their vacation). In the morning, you can just start over. No beating yourself up. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Goonergal

Staff Member

Try not to beat yourself up. Just start afresh today.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Hi was just wondering, does anyone know a good yoghurt I could have, I've seen loads of people saying plain Greek yoghurt, which I bought and put some blueberries or strawberries in, but yuck it's horrible for my taste buds uurgh. I like Muller light, but don't know if I can have them...

13. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try fage ...similar to Greek yoghurt I just find it a bit less bitter.. (however I do also like the Greek yoghurt)

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

this one is fairly mild tasting and one of the lowest carb I have found

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/kri-kri-my-authentic-greek-yogurt-10/549731-653496-653497

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Well - a Muller light strawberry yoghurt has just over 11 gm of carbs per 160gm pot - you could have quite a large meal and not get that much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I first started, I went keto, less than 20g carbs per day. I can't st and full cream milk or skimmed. For years used SSkimmed but I found this spiked me (when I first started). I gave up tea, almond milk was revolting to me so decided to do without. A few months later, I found that the odd cup of tea with semi skimmed milk no longer spiked. I do take my coffee with double cream. My suggestion is to drop everything carby, get your numbers under control and then re-introduce carbs to see what you can tolerate. It is a slow process, but so worthwhile in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

I don't like milk /cream either only a small amount in tea but willing to try different foods. Definitely NOT try Greek yogurt again though

• Hug Hug x 1
  18. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Hi all, I tried to venture into the world of shopping today, as the kids are back at school, oh boy what a challenge, couldn't find any bread that was recommended to me by your lovely self's, trying to calculate what foods to buy, I read somewhere that if I look for foods that are 5g or under per 100 grms is this right?
    In the end after 2 hours of frustration I decided to walk away with peanut butter and Boodles which I'm going to try in a recipe, how do you manage. HELP

19. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

5g carbs per 100g is a good (if fairly strict) way of looking.
    I suggest you spend a bit of time on the website of the supermarket you usually use to work out low carb foods then go and buy them. Walking round trying to find stuff can be quite daunting.
    You are unlikely to find anything "pre-made" that fits your criteria fresh green veg and meats will be fine raspberries and strawberries for fruits.
    www.dietdoctor.com has some great low cab/keto graphics that you might find useful.
    Pork scratchings are also a great snack.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. jicjacs

jicjacs · Member

Thank you, I'm playing safe I'm making Boodles Bolognese, trying them for the first time tonight, I try and do a lot of home cooking but was looking for bread, biscuits and treats, to no avail,(very naughty I know) is it ok to eat the sugar free wafer biscuits, sorry for asking soo much questions..

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook