Newly diagnosed... what can i drink now??

Ahinchy

Hello all and thank you for reading my very first forum post.

I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic just 3 days ago and I haven’t a clue where to start... My diet I’ll admit isn’t great however with all the threads on here I know I’ll pick up some great tips and recipes to help.

However my refreshments are what concerns me the most at the moment, I don’t drink tea, coffee or any hot drinks!! All I drink at the moment is diluted high juice cordial which at 12g sugar per 250ml prepared glass is going to have to be a no-no from now on... surely plain water isn’t going to have to my only option!!

Any recommendations/advice for alternatives would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at coconut milk or coconut water?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic just 3 days ago and I haven’t a clue where to start... My diet I’ll admit isn’t great however with all the threads on here I know I’ll pick up some great tips and recipes to help.

However my refreshments are what concerns me the most at the moment, I don’t drink tea, coffee or any hot drinks!! All I drink at the moment is diluted high juice cordial which at 12g sugar per 250ml prepared glass is going to have to be a no-no from now on... surely plain water isn’t going to have to my only option!!

Many thanks in advance

Many thanks in advance

What about food? Have you looked into what foods to eat now that you're diabetic?

As far as drinks I personally only drink water so I think that theres zero sugar drinks around which may be ok for diabetics

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Many thanks in advance

hi and welcome!

i would encourage you to scrutinise the labels of the squashes and cordials in your local supermarket (or just check them online). But be aware that ‘no added sugar’ does not mean zero carb... some of the ‘no added sugars’ have quite a lot of natural fruit sugar, or carby sweeteners that aren’t ‘added sugar’.

we have tried a number of different drinks over the years. i would love to be someone whose steel will meant they could just drink water, but no. Experience has taught me that when I just drink water, i don’t drink nearly enough.
So here are a few options I have tried (and mainly not been fussed about):
Sambucol effervescent tablets in water
Carbonated water
Squash'd concentrate (blackcurrant and apple is Mr B’s fave
Chilled herb teas
Fruit infusions
Bone broth concentrates
And yesterday i tried ‘birch water’ for the first time. It was delicious!

Mr B likes the diet sodas too, but they don’t appeal to me. Most of them use artificial sweeteners that disagree with me.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perrier do a lovely lemon sparkling water which like for a change.

D

Deleted member 308541

Newly diagnosed... what can i drink now??

I drink black coffee / tea, low carb beer, water so not much help to you with my list...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at Dash infused water and Aqua Libre, for water with a twist and no carbs.

I also drink Diet Coke. Some are anti artificial sweeteners, but I find those in Diet Coke have no impact on my blood sugars and it’s good to have an alternative to water sometimes.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic just 3 days ago and I haven’t a clue where to start...
Well, howdy, partner! Drinking in the “Diab Saloon” is trickier than a hogshead fullav rattlers! Yup, those free sugars have gotta go. Would you consider Cold Teas and coffees? I drink the Asian Chai and it’s delicious and full of scents and flavours, I like it.

How’s your culinary skills? Rule o thumb I’ve learnt in the last 30 days being here is stuff Grown Above Ground GOOD grown Under Ground BAD. Nail them Carbs, and be aware of the ZombieCarboStiens lurking in the corners of food stuffs.

You got any Blood results Yer wanna share? I went from being PreDiabetic for 3 years and then in last year I went to the Dark Side and had a leap to 89 HbA1c. This has been the wake up call. I’ve had my daily Metformin doubled and have severely reduced my Carbs to almost Nil. I was give my JAZZ Gluco Testing kit and have collected nearly 150 DATA points. From an original in September of an 18 on Glucmeter, I’ve dropped to 8 and sometimes to a 6. early days still, but I’ve been tough on myself and have started to see the benefits. Tell us, do have access to a Glucometer? Do you want to?

In any event, welcome aboard! Tell it as it is with you and you’ll get support no matter how you are coping.

E.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just go for no added sugar drinks where you can and keep fruit juices diluted.