Newly diagnosed

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My lunch today was a huge salad - one third of a bag of prepared salad, a tomato, coleslaw, radishes, grated cheese boiled eggs, olive oil and vinegar dressing, and then coffee with cream once I had let it settle for a while. That was all I could eat - but it was about 15 gm of carbs. The eggs and cheese could have been substituted with any meat or fish.
It is a pretty standard lunch for me and I judge what I eat for dinner from my blood glucose reading once the protein part of dinner is done, so I know what to put with it or to have some dessert or not. These days I can see readings under 5mmol/l but I have not reduced my carbs, just stuck to low carb foods which shortly after diagnosis kept me around 8mmol/l after eating. The numbers went down as my metabolism recovered. I do eat a bit more of the same type of foods now, as I seem able to cope with them. It has been very easy - no need for any punishing exercise or fasting - which would have increased by blood glucose from what I found after a few small trials.

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Tanmc take a few minutes make a list of all the lovely things you can eat, and write a few simple menus and snacks it helps

Reactions: Freema

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all before breakfast 6.9 2 hours after weetabux 10.5 so they are going. 6.5 before lunch chicken and veg then sugar free jelly 2 hours later 5.5 xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes, throw out the Weetabix. Breakfast cereals are one of the worst culprits, no matter how healthy it says on the packet.
Bacon and eggs and omelettes are a good choice.,

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh yes, throw out the Weetabix. Breakfast cereals are one of the worst culprits, no matter how healthy it says on the packet.
Bacon and eggs and omelettes are a good choice.,
Great that's what am going with. Was 5.5 a low reading or is that OK

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just took 5 attempts to do blood. My eyesight will not focus. Level was eventually 6 2 hours after eating

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just had a hypo at 5.8 is that because my body is not used to lower levels yet??

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it is more likely the low carb “flu” which many exerienses the first weeks of low carbing , just keep your nose n the track

rgs2502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are doing really well Tanmc. I’m new too, and am low carbing. Did you find the 10 week low carb program on here yet ? I found that helpful. I’ve been on 4 x 500mg Metformin for about a month now, and testing every couple of days as I figure it will take time for my body to adjust so no need to panic yet, I’ll go and get my bloods done again at the end of November (even though my GP told me not to bother with that or testing) and see what that tells, then adjust lifestyle accordingly if necessary.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had a hypo at 5.8 is that because my body is not used to lower levels yet??

This will have been a false hypo, very common when your body is still not used to your new low levels. There is no need to be concerned, and no need to eat anything, your body will soon be used to it. Hypo territory is usually under 4.

You are doing brilliantly!

Edit to add - just be careful with your Gliclazide. Remember that it works by making your pancreas produce extra insulin, and when you are low carb you need less insulin, not more. Too much insulin and you may hypo - so do be careful and if you feel a bit off, test and make sure you aren't dropping too far.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This will have been a false hypo, very common when your body is still not used to your new low levels. There is no need to be concerned, and no need to eat anything, your body will soon be used to it. Hypo territory is usually under 4.

You are doing brilliantly!

Edit to add - just be careful with your Gliclazide. Remember that it works by making your pancreas produce extra insulin, and when you are low carb you need less insulin, not more. Too much insulin and you may hypo - so do be careful and if you feel a bit off, test and make sure you aren't dropping too far.
Should I stop testing meals that I now know are OK and if so on a day I am eating meals that are OK when should I test xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Should I stop testing meals that I now know are OK and if so on a day I am eating meals that are OK when should I test xx

NO. It is far too early to stop testing. Testing will give you motivation. If you stop, you may be tempted again. You need to keep going until at the very least your next HbA1c. It doesn't have to be every meal, but it does need to be your main ones, and you need to try out some different foods so you don't get bored. Also, as I said before, Gliclazide is a very powerful drug, so you need to test regularly to make sure your levels are not dropping too low.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No I meant stop testing the meals that are low in carbs.what else can I eat. I have chicken eggs tuna veg. I am constantly trying to look for other foods and this has all took over my life. People are telling me to stop Googling things xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I meant stop testing the meals that are low in carbs.what else can I eat. I have chicken eggs tuna veg. I am constantly trying to look for other foods and this has all took over my life. People are telling me to stop Googling things xx

If it is a meal you have eaten a few times without a problem, then testing before and after isn't as necessary. Have you looked at some of the recipes for low carb foods? There are some here
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds