Newly Diagnosed

Karen20

I’m newly diagnosed with Type 2 and still trying to get used to it all but I have a few questions as don’t see my diabetic nurse to go through everything until 24th February.

1. What level are most type 2 when they have to start insulin?

2. What top tips can you give to a type 2?

3 Do type 2 check blood glucose levels on a daily basis?

4. Has anyone had this injection thing that assists with weight loss and if so how was it?

If anyone can assist with the above I would appreciate it, Tia xx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - who has told you that type twos need to start to use insulin?
Some people really should be ashamed of themselves for worrying people newly diagnosed - I can't think why they would do that.
If you get hold of a blood glucose meter and test strips such as the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 which is cheap to use, then check what you eat is not spiking your blood glucose (we are all different in how we digest carbs so checking is the best way) you can tweak to get your numbers in the normal range, and keep them there.
If you need to lose weight then getting normal numbers often means that weight is lost as your metabolism becomes normal too.
By eating a low carb diet my numbers are normal and I don't need medication.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m newly diagnosed with Type 2 and still trying to get used to it all but I have a few questions as don’t see my diabetic nurse to go through everything until 24th February.

1. What level are most type 2 when they have to start insulin?

2. What top tips can you give to a type 2?

3 Do type 2 check blood glucose levels on a daily basis?

4. Has anyone had this injection thing that assists with weight loss and if so how was it?

If anyone can assist with the above I would appreciate it, Tia xx
1. Most type 2 will not jump straight onto insulin, there are many alternatives to go through first and in my experience most medical people will go out of their way to hold off. Insulin is a last resort. There is likely a care path that will determine when to do so.

2. Read these forums, carb control, weight loss. Don't panic, test to see how foods impact

3. Many don't because outside of some drugs (insulin being one) doctors say not to, many on here self fund and use it to measure impact, see 2

4. It's not a magic bullet, carb control as well as lowering blood levels often can bring down weight naturally. Taking drugs to magic away fat has consequences, these drugs have side effects of their own. There are natural ways to help

Reactions: LaoDan

Zama

Hi,

I have also been recently diagnosed with diabetes at 30. My hbA1c was 115 in feb 21 ( repeated the test a month later it was 97) They managed to diagnosed me type 2 diabetes, but they have asked me for me to repeat the test in 6 months from now as they may think I might have type 1? Or LADA due to my age and background. I have never been pregnant so there's no other reason a part from my family history of type 2. My mother and her siblings all have t2.

My question is that I have been put on insulin and metaformin. I really don't agree but my husband has suggested to go on it as I have tried to lower my sugars, on my own and I was working out after having slow carbs. The insulin has been helping but I do crash when my reading is 5.2 mmols.

I am worried that I may be doing damage by taking all these medications, after coming from no medication to now insluin and metaformin.

Also, I have mentioned this to my diabetic nurse but I have been having snow vision and mild discomfort on my left side of my abdomen and have been told that this due to my sugars lowering and the metaformin causing this.
Is that normal ?

I am so worried and I've read so much and I am conflicted on what to do.

Please help.