Newly Diagnosed

Myrie

Can Type2 diabetes be reversed with hard work like exercising, walking and watching what I eat?

And how can I lower my sugar level in my blood quickly?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The biggest thing is lowering the carbs you eat. So yes diet is key

IF you are overweight then coming to a normal weight will help

Exercise obviously help with weight

Read through the T2 forums you will see lots have managed to significantly reduce hba1c and even reverse t2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The nice thing about lowering bg by eating a low carb way, is that you don't get hungry! It might take a while to adapt but after that it is easy, not like hard work at all

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
It has been done by many on a very low calorie diet 800 calories a day. Often known as the Newcastle diet if you wish to research it

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are unlikely to be cured such that you can return to a carb-laden way of eating. However chances are very good that you can return you blood glucose to normal levels and find a whole new way of eating that is very satisfactory. And once you get your head around it, so easy that it feels like cheating.

As for how long it takes, you can drop your BG within weeks if you go sufficiently low carb. Your next HbA1c could be normal.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Read through the T2 forums you will see lots have managed to significantly reduce hba1c and even reverse t2

Though you have to understand that as T2 is caused by a genetic intolerance to carbs, even if you reverse it and attain normal blood sugars, it is likely that it will come back if you return to a diet with more carbs than your body can cope with.... The genetic susceptibility is still there.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Myrie, and welcome.
There could follow a debate on what is meant by ‘reversal’ of T2 diabetes.
Having searched for 16 years for that ‘Holy Grail’ myself, I am content to settle for well controlled T2 , and no diabetic complications.
As you are newly diagnosed, if your underlying T2 has not been brewing for years you could be fortunate enough to return to non-diabetes blood glucose levels, with a bit of effort. Though that could be short lived if you revert to your previous diet and lifestyle.
As , @muzza3 has mentioned, some people use the Newcastle diet as a quick remedy. I have used that method , too. For me it was an acceptable alternative to bariatric surgery that had been touted by medics as the only solution to my obesity problem. I chose the very low calorie diet, and lost a lot of weight, very quickly, and my diabetes seemed resolved. My GP wanted to take me off the diabetes register.
Where I erred was that I did not have a long term diet plan in place for after the calorie restriction phase of the Newcastle diet. Some say that is a starvation diet, but with the carefully selected meal replacement products you are not starved of nutritional requirements, and it is a short term calorie deficit, rather than nutritional deprivation.
I often wonder if, knowing more about such things as Low Carb diets, and Intermittent Fasting I would have chosen the same route. No turning back the clock, so I am guessing I would, as I was desperate to avoid diabetes complications, and shed the excess weight. Though now I would have a follow on plan, which I adhere to, which is low carb diet, with some fasting.
You don’t mention, @Myrie what your HbA1c level is, when you were diagnosed, or if you have been prescribed medication? So not knowing I will be cautious about advice. If you have been prescribed meds, whatever method of eating / diet you choose should be a gradual change.
In short, it is possible for people with T2 to return to non-diabetes blood glucose levels. Many members have, by various methods. Have a read round the forums. This could be a good start.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/reversing-diabetes.html
Best of luck.