Newly T2 diagnosed last week

MetforminMan

After trying to self manage with diet and exercise, I have fi ally being diagnosed as T2.
It's quiet a shock as my life will change forever
I don't tick any of the typical trigger points for T2..
No history in the family
I'm not obese (I'm 11stone 5) 6ft healthy active male who plays tennis 5 hours a week.
Keep to a healthy diet.
But my readings have been going up.. 12 at last Dr blood check.
So The Dr has prescribed 500 Metformin x2 a day.
After a week my readings are now average 8.5 but do have light headiness (but no tummy trouble) since going on the Metformin.
Is this typical for these Meds ? Does it take time for the body to get used to it and will the readings drop?
Sorry for the long post. I'm pretty scared by it all at the moment and don't know what is usual or not.
Thanks for reading.
Jim.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Many members arrive here with a similar story to yourself. Not overweight, fit, active, healthy diet. Diabetes is not restricted to those who are thought of as fat, lazy, couch potato sloths as the media loves to make out. It can hit anyone! I would also like a pound for everyone that says they have a healthy diet, but what your healthy diet? Probably not the same diet that is healthy for T2 diabetics that have insulin resistance, metabolic disorders such as raised cholesterol, high blood pressure and a fatty liver, plus an intolerance to carbohydrates. What may be healthy for Joe Bloggs is not necessarily healthy for us, sad though this is.

When you say your readings are averaging now at 8.5, which readings are these? Fasting/before meals/after meals/random? It makes a big difference. Also, which blood tests has your doctor done? Presumably an HbA1c. What was the result of that? (This is the test used to diagnose diabetes, and also to keep check on progress.)

Metformin is a very mild drug, not a miracle cure. It has very little effect on blood sugars apart from the first fasting test in a morning, and even that is a limited benefit. It doesn't work that way. It is a cumulative drug and takes a while to have any effect at all. Diet is the key.

Have a really good read round the forum, and ask as many questions as you like. There will always be someone to help. Meanwhile I will tag @Daisy 1 for her excellent information post for newly diagnosed.

Reactions: MetforminMan

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @MetforminMan .

A very familiar tale.

@Bluetit1802 pinned down the first issue

Healthy diet.
That good old healthy word that gets stuck on
breakfast cereal,
our lovely 5 a day fruit fix,
fruit juices
All the healthy wholemeal / brown versions of bread/rice/pasta.
and all the low fat low cal snacks
designed to help us lose weight and tide us over the constant hunger when we go on a low cal diet

All of it NOT so healty for us T2D's.

I now see ALL the carbs regardless of type (ie: wholemeal) as causing me issues...and do limit how many I take in during meals

Any food on labels under 5g
Of carbohydrates.is OK
5g-10g. I treat with caution and buy selectively.
10g and above gets left on the shelf

I totally ignore calories and '''added sugars'
Purely the carbs content is all I look at

Diet doctor gives great advice and I found THIS link to the visuals of what foods have the lowest and highest impact on ME carbs wise very useful.

And tennis 5 days a week. Bravo

The exercise part should be easy, but check out what your using to help sustain you while exercising. Bananas maybe ?.
A fruit I loved, but not one I eat anymore

Good luck finding a way that works for YOU.
Plenty of advice and encouragement to be found on here

Good luck.

MetforminMan

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Many members arrive here with a similar story to yourself. Not overweight, fit, active, healthy diet. Diabetes is not restricted to those who are thought of as fat, lazy, couch potato sloths as the media loves to make out. It can hit anyone! I would also like a pound for everyone that says they have a healthy diet, but what your healthy diet? Probably not the same diet that is healthy for T2 diabetics that have insulin resistance, metabolic disorders such as raised cholesterol, high blood pressure and a fatty liver, plus an intolerance to carbohydrates. What may be healthy for Joe Bloggs is not necessarily healthy for us, sad though this is.

When you say your readings are averaging now at 8.5, which readings are these? Fasting/before meals/after meals/random? It makes a big difference. Also, which blood tests has your doctor done? Presumably an HbA1c. What was the result of that? (This is the test used to diagnose diabetes, and also to keep check on progress.)

Metformin is a very mild drug, not a miracle cure. It has very little effect on blood sugars apart from the first fasting test in a morning, and even that is a limited benefit. It doesn't work that way. It is a cumulative drug and takes a while to have any effect at all. Diet is the key.

Have a really good read round the forum, and ask as many questions as you like. There will always be someone to help. Meanwhile I will tag @Daisy 1 for her excellent information post for newly diagnosed.
Thank you for a your comprehensive replies.
As a Newby T2 it's taking me some time to come to terms with it. A mixture of anger and fear.
I see the diabetic nurse next week for more bloods,and I fear she may up my Meds as I am hanging around 8-9 after a week on Metformin.
Feels like I've stepped out onto the path on a long journey.
Thanks for all welcome messages and words of advice and encouragement it is greatly appreciated. And to know many others are going through the same feelings is very supportive.
Thanks all.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't comment about Metformin, but my advice is, if you want lower blood glucose numbers then eat fewer carbs - works like a dream for me.
There is no need to get het up about diabetes - if you act to alter what you eat long term, you will, with any luck, see your numbers return to normal ranges, and also feel reenergised.