News just in - hba1c after 8 weeks

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Needed to share this. I got my Hba1c results tonight after 8 weeks from being diagnosed.

Hba1c at time of diagnosis was 102 now 59

Cholesterol was 6.2 now 5.5

Doc wants to put me on statins to get my colesterol level down to 4 but I have refused as everything seems to be reducing by it's self.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If your GP's surgery is equipped for online access to your medical records, go ahead and register. It's fantastic for going back to check results you forgot to ask,or accessing results you didn't know you wanted !
Your cholesterol breakdown should have a triglycerides figure.It's so satisfying see it go down.
Well done on your achievement !
Geoff

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all

My trig was 2.9mmol/l and is now 1.6
Hdl was 0.73mmol/l and now 0.68 this is the one that worries me.
Also I have decided to stop my Metformin and monitor my bloods to see what happens if they increase then I will start them again.

I don't think that's bad after 2 months.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all

Also I have decided to stop my Metformin and monitor my bloods to see what happens if they increase then I will start them again.

I don't think that's bad after 2 months.
Your trigs/HDL ratio has gone from 3.98 to 2.35. That's brilliant. It means you're lowering the amount of small particle LDL (the bad LDL).Room for decreasing it more, especially by getting those trigs down. If your bloods weren't taken on a fasting test, your trigs will have been higher. If so, remember to get your bloods taken early in the day next time, and don't eat beforehand.
Geoff

Reactions: Prem51 and grante

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all

Also I have decided to stop my Metformin and monitor my bloods to see what happens if they increase then I will start them again

Yes, I can see why you are worried about your HDL which needs to be over 1.2. Normally this increases as you reduce carbs because carbs are known to deplete HDL. Are you eating enough Omega 3, and plenty of antioxidants? The usual - plenty of oily fish, olive oil, nuts, avocado, flax and chia seeds, dark chocolate, glass of red wine etc? Plus extra exercise?

I make your Trigs/HDL ratio a bit high. It should be under 0.87 to be ideal.

Reactions: grante

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done @grante what great choices you are making, next test hopefully pre-diabetic or non-diabetic numbers.

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your trigs/HDL ratio has gone from 3.98 to 2.35. That's brilliant. It means you're lowering the amount of small particle LDL (the bad LDL).Room for decreasing it more, especially by getting those trigs down. If your bloods weren't taken on a fasting test, your trigs will have been higher. If so, remember to get your bloods taken early in the day next time, and don't eat beforehand.
Geoff
Bloods were fasting ones. Thank you for your comments

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @grante what great choices you are making, next test hopefully pre-diabetic or non-diabetic numbers.
That my aim . I will see what happens when I stop the metformin.

Hopefully I can still keep my numbers lowering

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done! I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago too! I have my first HbA1c since diagnosis soon, blood test on Thursday, GP appt next week to discuss results but hoping to see them online beforehand. Watch this space!
My cholesterol levels were all fine except my trigs, so I'm hoping that will have improved enough to avoid statins.

Reactions: Prem51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

If it was me, I would keep taking the Metformin unless you get side effects until you have lost as much weight as you wish too. Metformin reduces insulin resistance, so results in your body creating less insulin (assuming reasonable BG levels), low levels of insulin makes it a lot easier for your body to burn fat.

Also a lot of the complications (stoke/heart) from T2 are due to high levels of insulin, you can can't tell without a test of insulin level if you have sorted about all your issues with insulin resistance.

Remember that Metformin takes a few weeks to work, and therefore I assume it takes a few weeks until all benefits stop, so you need to check for the trend of your BG levels, not just a few readings. (For example graph your fasting BG and see if stopping Metformin changes the slope of the graph.)

And well done, I hope my tests results are as good as yours when I have my 8 week tests.

PS, Exercise can help with cholesterol. Also I think trigs can be increased by fruit sugar without the fruit sugar putting up your BG, so check how much fruit you are eating.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Needed to share this. I got my Hba1c results tonight after 8 weeks from being diagnosed.

Doc wants to put me on statins to get my colesterol level down to 4 but I have refused as everything seems to be reducing by it's self.
Way to GO! @grante. Major league butt kickin' is BACK IN TOWN!!

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance

That's really great, @grante. I am willing to bet it isn't reducing by itself; I suspect you have had just a bit to do with that! Well done.