nhs - no more blood meters for newbies :{

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:***:
hi
I have been for my first diabetic nurse checkup , I was diagnosed last week , and have done readings with a spare blood monitor of my husband as he is diabetic ,,,,,

to day shocked me a bit with the nurse , I was told that they don't give out blood monitors now and we don't need to test our blood as in 3 months time we will have a hbac1 , as that is the real reading of your levels , as the blood metre is just a guide ,

:idea:
well I just wasted my time all week doing my blood 2 hours after . I was also given a magazine which she said I can eat anything as long as it is small portion ,
has the nsh changed some laws or something?

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here, (Type 2) It is a matter of economics. The NHS is over stressed, almost broke.

I have bought my own meter "Codefree" from Amazon, because this is one of the cheapest for spare test strips (£ 16 for 100). lancets you can reuse, I change them once a month.

I need to test, especially in the beginning to see what foods can cause spikes and learn to avoid them in the future.

Otherwise how would you know if you are doing the right thing?
By the time you have have the Hb1ac test is to late to find out where you went wrong.

Once you have stabilised your BG levels and learned what you can eat and what you must avoid, testing can be reduced.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To say testing your blood is only a guide is a bit stupid as it gives an accurate answer but only, of course, at that instant but useful to find out what foods affect you. With regard to food, keeping portion sizes down is good and just as important is controlling carb portion sizes rather than fat or protein; again the meter helps.

K

Kat100

Same here with the meter I have to wait for the hba1c test....it's been a hard first year now I average on 6.5 and take something when I go low as advised this is something I have to to be aware of because my numbers have come down....I am t2 and not entitled to testing.....I wait for the hba1c....I rely on them...

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well
like you have all said , I would rather do the metre blood test , as I keeps my mind at rest , and it tells me that 2 hours later if it is still something like 7.7 its still high for me altho in the range ,

and I think newbies should be monitoring there blood with a metre it gives them a good idea about your blood , and without that I think I would go off the rails , so im happy to use my meters ,,,, but I can see thenhs murse point of view , she said to me it wont give you the true reading , the hbc1 is the tru reading ,,,,

so I was a bit sad and disappointed today , she also said you can eat anything you like chocolate :shifty: that's my worst enemy and Im trying so hard not to eat it ,, I wish she hadn't told me that , and some of these diabetic nursed have no time for you , as this was my first visit ,

oh and im t3 diabetic

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well I shall continue with my monitor ,,,,,, if I don't I think my hbac1 will be high , and o feel comfortable using my metre as u said you can work out a rough guide what foods u eat and 2 hours later if its still on the high side , then I will eliminate that food for a while,

slick

I think its fair to say that all diabetic types should have a blood meter, this enables a person to gain some form of control over their diabetes rather than the doctor having full control over YOUR disease.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
sandysan said:
I was also given a magazine which she said I can eat anything as long as it is small portion ,

Nothing wrong with that advice but its totally impractical if you dont have a meter and are shown how and when to use it, the whole point of testing is to gauge what portions of which carbs you can safely eat without having your bg levels going into orbit.

A meter is just a tool that will allow you to discover what portion sizes you as an individual can safely eat. If you are going to go ultra low carb then I agree there is little or no point in testing as if you are eating under 30g carbs a day you cant adjust your diet any further anyway so regular testing is not achieving anything at all.

But if you are actively trying to find out what you can eat and in what portion sizes then testing is invaluable.