nice ice lollies or ice cream

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Admittedly I've not looked into ice cream yet, but I suffer from very fry throats and ice cream or ice lollies are really nice (regardless of it being winter).

I have been making my own lemon ice lollies out of sugar free lemon squash and water in ice lolly molds.

These work to a point, but not really. Sometimes parts have no lemon in them. Even when it does, having to break through a solid lump of ice, well I don#'t know what, something is VERY different from a shop bought lolly.

I know your all going to say it's the sugar that makes the difference :) I just wondered if any of you have had any success making nice tasting lollies. A google has shown me a few with yogourt in, I'm not a yogourt fan to be honest.

The other option is making my won ice cream, preferably without buying an ice cream maker, although Christmas is coming up.

Shops around me seem to sell gluten, dairy etc free ice cream, but all loaded with carbs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look for Oppo ice cream, it’s sold in Sainsburys, Holland and Barrett and I think maybe Asda. Here’s a link to their website, when I registered for their emails I got a money off voucher, don’t know if they still do that but maybe worth a try?
https://www.oppobrothers.com/flavours/

Reactions: Ojustaboo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Admittedly I've not looked into ice cream yet, but I suffer from very fry throats and ice cream or ice lollies are really nice (regardless of it being winter).

I have been making my own lemon ice lollies out of sugar free lemon squash and water in ice lolly molds.

These work to a point, but not really. Sometimes parts have no lemon in them. Even when it does, having to break through a solid lump of ice, well I don#'t know what, something is VERY different from a shop bought lolly.

I know your all going to say it's the sugar that makes the difference :) I just wondered if any of you have had any success making nice tasting lollies. A google has shown me a few with yogourt in, I'm not a yogourt fan to be honest.

The other option is making my won ice cream, preferably without buying an ice cream maker, although Christmas is coming up.

Shops around me seem to sell gluten, dairy etc free ice cream, but all loaded with carbs.

@Ojustaboo - Do you allow yourself sweeteners? If you do, Nigella Lawson does lots of no-churn icre creams. Just swap out the sugar in them. She also does some fabulous cocktail no-churn ice creams, where some of the thickness is achieved by the addition of citrus juice to cream along the way.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy
D

Deleted member 308541

Sometimes parts have no lemon in them. Even when it does, having to break through a solid lump of ice, well I don#'t know what, something is VERY different from a shop bought lolly.
Commercial ice lollies are snap frozen, that why the flavour / colouring is consistent.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a look for Oppo ice cream, it’s sold in Sainsburys, Holland and Barrett and I think maybe Asda. Here’s a link to their website, when I registered for their emails I got a money off voucher, don’t know if they still do that but maybe worth a try?
https://www.oppobrothers.com/flavours/

Just got my first tub of oppo. Was after vanilla but only had the choice of mint chocolate or chocolate and hazelnut. So got myself Chocolate and hazelnut :) Just tried it, yes, success, something that's really really nice :)

Thank you very much.

I think I might see if I can get an ice cream maker for xmas :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got my first tub of oppo. Was after vanilla but only had the choice of mint chocolate or chocolate and hazelnut. So got myself Chocolate and hazelnut :) Just tried it, yes, success, something that's really really nice :)

Thank you very much.

I think I might see if I can get an ice cream maker for xmas :)

The chocolate and hazelnut is my favourite one :hungry:

D

Deleted member 308541

I see from a another thread of yours about having a spell away from LCHF, you might like Nuttela hazel nut spread.

My partner eats this stuff, but puts the jar back into the cupboard. I put a new jar in to the fridge where it set hard.

Then one of those light bulb moments happened, we filled ice cube trays with it after it thawed out, then put it back into the fridge to set.

Instant ice blocks to slurp on.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ocado and I believe Waitrose also sell Oppo and often have it reduced.

Oppo have recently brought out a new flavour which rejoices in the slightly kinky name of Raspberry Nipple o_O They've apparently joined forces with a breast cancer awareness charity hence the punny name, which I though at first was a misprint!

I got some while Ocado had it on offer and am going to sample it tonight with some fresh raspberries.:hungry:

Robbity

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My Oppo enjoyment was short lived :(

Asda will no longer be stocking it. I double checked with Oppo and they confirmed it.

Only have a small sainsbury near me and that doesn't have it. So to get it, I will need to make a 30 mile round trip to Norwich, which isn't going to happen :(

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As a huge conventional ice-lolly (ice block in my kiwi dialect) and ice cream fan from pre-diagnosis past, I invested in an ice cream maker, learnt to use it, and use it heaps now, this being a scorching hot, long, summer. Lots more cooking from scratch, but having double chocolate chip (stevia sweetened choc chips, cocoa is not sweetened), in my freezer has been great. Mint and low carb (fake sweeteners) marshmallows, frozen mixed berries and coconut flakes (not faked), among the ingredients. Made with cream and either coconut milk or almond milk. Egg yolks with stevia ethrytol mixed, are key ingredients to a good low carb ice cream. It has been a wonderful summer!

And ditto the ice blocks. My favourite in that is freezing coconut water (although it isn't that low-carb - more moderate carb? just make sure you are well portion controlled, is my advice). But as an adult hot evening treat - freeze low carb (also low alcohol) alcohol drinks - oh so yum! And def low-carb. Choose your low-carb alc drinks carefully...

I have discovered many flavourings have glcerol/glycerine propylene (from memory) in them, which is lab-made, and dodgey as. So watch out for that? Otherwise - great creamy icey treats for we carb intolerant folks.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just recently discovered OPPO and bought 6 tubs in asda as they were only £1.50 each. Shame they are no longer selling it.