Night sweats

Petercball

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic . My bs average around 12 .l am waking in the night soaking wet with sweat as if I am having a hypo but my sugars are around 11 ish in the morning . Has anyone any ideas as to what is the cause of this and is there anything I can do to stop this. Your help would be appreciated.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can you test when you wake up? It's possible you're going low at night, your liver pumps out glycogen to correct, and you end up highish in the morning. No way to tell without doing that middle of the night test....

Reactions: Petercball

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you test when you wake up? It's possible you're going low at night, your liver pumps out glycogen to correct, and you end up highish in the morning. No way to tell without doing that middle of the night test....
Exactly!! Nocturnal hypoglycemia. I used to have those around 4 am years ago and the moment I woke up I automatically test my sugar and continue to the kitchen and start binge eating cycle till I actually wake up and gather my senses.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I am a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic . My bs average around 12 .l am waking in the night soaking wet with sweat as if I am having a hypo but my sugars are around 11 ish in the morning . Has anyone any ideas as to what is the cause of this and is there anything I can do to stop this. Your help would be appreciated.
Hi, my sweats have either stopped or I sleep through them. Initially I used to wake up and test and was OK. So, don't know the reason, which isn't very helpful, but think it was just adjusting to fewer carbs and taking insulin. I did make sure BG was about 6 before snoring.

D

Deleted Account

I would second (or third) comments from @EllieM and @alphabeta that this is likely to be night time hypos. Your morning high may be caused by your body overreacting to its recovery and dumping too much glucose.
I have also seen a few people comment that they experience something similar when their BG goes high. I think this is less common and, as a newly diagnosed person with type 1, your body is likely to be more familiar with highs.
The only way of telling is to take a BG reading in the middle of night (you could set an alarm to wake yourself) and respond accordingly.
If this is happening regularly, you will probably need to adjust your insulin dose. There are many contributors on the forum who could make suggestions but, if you are in touch with your diabetes team, they are best placed to advise which insulin and by how much.

Jaybc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I too have been newly diagnosed. My A1c was 12.9 and my readings never dropped below 16 I was put on Tradjenta in the evening and no change except for joint pain and what felt like a heart flutter, added Jardiance in the morning two days ago and my blood in morning is down to 10. I know still to high but it’s coming down. Now I woke up at 4 am cold and clammy my head and neck quite wet. I checked my blood and it was 19. I thought no way went to bathroom and washed my hands and redid it my blood was 12.3 redid again to be sure and 12.2. I’m not sure if I went really low and my body kicked in and brought it back up? I did a 3.6 km walk about 3 hours before bed? I don’t know but even when I was 26 bs no sweats so why now?

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I was only joking. Only way to know is to test there and then.

Jaybc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oops sorry I guess I’m sensitive. My mom is diabetic and my wet head and neck is her typical 3 readings when in low. It scared me because I woke up for the bathroom not because of cold clammy I slept right thru that and if I dropped and came back up without realizing that’s doubly scary...and I don’t know what else it could be...?