Night Sweats

perrywinkle

Can you use sleeping tablets? I was told you cant if you are Diabetic. Was going to us the herbal Nytol but pharmacist said no. I am statins which I take at night dont know if that is relevant.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
My GP prescribed me some mild ones / to take just a half no more than cry occasionally, tried a half a couple of times but gave a hang over so not inclined to use. On Sleep Aid - not sleeping tablet per se / it states diabetics use only after speaking with GP and not for constant use - I only use occasionally otherwise would not always get sleep.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

crems078

To Gracek
I have used pure Valerian to help with restful sleep, its very good. All other products contain a small amount of Valerian but if you go to the health food store the can supply Valerian capsules, the promote wonderful restful sleep.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I went to bed at 10pm last night and slept through to 6am without waking. No sweats, no loo break, just unbroken sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. :D :D

I'm sure the answer is in the TIMING of when I go to bed because I've found if I go around 10pm I usually sleep a full 8 hours. If I go at midnight, I wake at 4 or 5 and have trouble getting back to sleep. So maybe those extra hours from 10-12 are when my body wants to start the sleep cycle and I'm preventing it from working properly when I go to bed later?

I'm going to bed at 10pm again tonight come what may, and we'll see what happens.

win24

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. For the past 6 mths i have been having bouts of flu. chest infection. acute broncitis, 3 course of antiabiotic, but still find it hard to get rid of it.
Some times i get these night sweat where my bed, pillow and clothes you could squeeze water out. when i get up i am very cold.
Any sugestion would be very help full. thanks win24

Jackie512

I have been type 2 for about 20 years and have recently been prescribed Metmorfin. I also take Ramipril and a statin plus aspirin. I have suffered night and day sweats and since going on medication not enough sleep lucky to get 5 - 51/2 hours a night. Wake up as tired as when I went to bed. Good job I'm retired. Since going onto 3 new medications I think I've suffered most of the side effects am at present getting sorted via hospital consultation for palpitations

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
GraceK- "Is it only females here who are having these night sweats? Or are there any males who also have them? "

Well, last time I looked I still counted as male- and I got them a LOT when first diagnosed, and still get them more often than I care for. They seem related, in my case, to BS levels. If I make the mistake of eating too many carbs, or am off colour, then I get major night sweats and get a badly disturbed night.

Even on the good nights I rarely get undisturbed sleep any more (loo every 3 or 4 hours...) but at least the nightmares are slowing down!

perrywinkle

Just like you win24 I seem to have a constant stream of infections, I have to keep away from my grandchildren or anyone withcold/flu or I am down for a couple of months. I had the respiratory virus just before Christmas which wrecked Christmas and New Year for me, felt really lethargic, tired and worn out. Still have the cough some 6 weeks later... Had chest xrays and all ok. I never semed to have a problem getting over illness before I was diagnosed. Did think of taking Metanone a tonic to buck me up but read Diabetics are not supposed to take it as it rises blood sugar. Mark E I to have had the sweats since I was diagnosed, and also itchy skin it drives me mad when Im in bed and warm. Anyone else have the itching problem?

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always blamed my night sweats on menopause which is when they started 10 years ago complete with 2 hour sleep stints!! I was diagnosed diabetic 6 years ago and control with low carb/low GI diet and exercis. My fasting blood sugars are less than 5.5.

elainechi

sons friend...night sweats and chills with odd high temp....in hospital today with endocarditis!!!!! ps not diabetic!!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I dont think mine are related to diabetes or meds.. Type 1.. Or menopause.. But wish I just knew the cause.. But I dont think diabetes at all.. Wish it was really good sex all night long!!! Hey ho!! In my dreams!!! Would put up without moaning ... So to speak-lol's!!!

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing I am type 2 and used to get night sweats all the time before being diagnosed one year ago. 1 week later I had heart attack and have been freezing cold sincein fact within 1 hour. Started wearing slippers all the time wearing pygamas. So opposite reaction for me. I have to say I don't miss them. I don't know why they went away. Maybe the 7 pills including Metformin or was a change to my body caused by the heart attack.

KJSines

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had theses for a long time and have learned to put up with it. I have noticed that the composition of the sweat Is different to normal sweating and never stains the bedding like normal sweats. Likewise I don't have a hypo or a hyper.. I asked my diabetologist and he says its a common occurrence with the mix of tablets I take and meteor in may be the cause.

Brekky

Hi,
Can anyone help please , I have been type 2 for the past 2 years , I have tried to keep on top of it and until now have got away without taking meds , just lately I have been feeling really poorly and having loads of bad pains in joints and also a lot of swelling in joints . Hauled myself off to the doctor where he told me I need some blood tests to determine what is happening .
Ok have had the bloods done and am waiting on the results , I was able to tell the doctor that there is a lot of Fibromyalgia in my family on mums side , so this is what he is looking for as the pain I am experiencing, (ie waking up every morning with a different part of my body too sore to touch and knees and ankles too sore to be able to walk) is almost sure to be that, he says .
I have been having dreadful night sweats and am having to get up in the night to cool down so find myself jumping in the shower at silly o'clock most mornings anything from 2am onwards . It is really annoying as my sleep is disturbed every night I am wondering is it normal with the two conditions , my sugar has been up as high as 12.7 on waking and does not appear to be going down a lot during the day so am waiting for results of glucose blood tests also . I really would welcome any thoughts on this please .
Thanks in advance
Dee

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
My DN says sweats are nothing to do with diabetes. I don't believe that. She thinks she's right as she has done a 'proper' course. I think I'm right because I am living with diabetes.

A

AnnieC

I'm about 10 years past the menopause now, I went through it from age 39-50 and the whole 11 years was just one long hot flush in that I NEVER felt the cold, windows had to be open at all times, no central heating on, gave up wearing tights or socks and shoes, couldn't bear any clothing that restricted me, couldn't tolerate jewelry, rings, earrings etc and I'm still that way now. I didn't get any sleep for those years because I was waking every hour or so, not because of night sweats, but just because I was hyperalert and agitated and of course, running to the loo several times a night, which was all put down to me being in the meno.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes in August last year, after starting Metformin I started sleeping right through the night for the first time in years and had a few months of wonderful unbroken sleep. I remember the first morning I woke up having slept through the night without interruption and when I slept through 3 nights in a row I was elated. Then about 2 months ago, like the OP here I began having night sweats and waking up several times a night again, and it's REALLY annoying me. Also I seem to be having more dreams than usual and I'm waking up in the middle of them. Then of course next day, I'm groggy and dopey and need an afternoon nap, which isn't good because I'm also job-hunting at the moment. I feel about as fit for work as a wet dish rag but hey ho ... ATOS knows best. :x

I want my unbroken sleep back but I'm reluctant to take sleeping tablets but I was wondering of Herbal Nytol might help. I never thought of taking anything before, but Nytol just popped into my mind and I looked at their website. The ordinary Nytol and Nytol One A Night is actually a sedating antihistamine which I'd be wary of taking but the Herbal one contains hops, valerian and passionflower which I might give a try.

Has anyone tried it or found anything similar to give you a good night's sleep? :think:

Nytol doesn't work for me so every now and again if I have had trouble sleeping properly I take a Sominex tablet...you know the one that puts sheep out of a job...they work a treat for me

K

Kat100

Sweating at night for me had been awful for the past 10 years, now on metformin and statins, sweating reduced at night, but sweat in the day, can't seem to get the balance right.....not the hrt thing, just over 50 now, think mine my be t2 nerve damage, due to symptoms bring left for so long, that's just my view......this sweating problem in any form for anyone is really awful though....

Strange dreams since taking the meds another poster mentioned that.....

Ali B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have night sweats not as badly as some ive read about on here but during the day im always very cold. Ive never really linked it to my diabetes but now you have me wondering...hmmm..