Night-time low BS

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been looking around for possible causes of low BS readings (below 3.9) during sleep, revealed by some of the Libre sensors I've used over the last two years. They apparently occur shortly after falling asleep and shortly before waking. I've never managed to catch one on the meter and I'm afraid I didn't pay much heed because I thought that as a T2 NOT on insulin I shouldn't get them. I don't know what a hypo feels like but I've haven't felt unwell on waking. My BS levels before sleep are usually in the mid-6s, and for the rest of the night are in the low 5s.
Any suggestions gratefully, as usual, received :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been looking around for possible causes of low BS readings (below 3.9) during sleep, revealed by some of the Libre sensors I've used over the last two years. They apparently occur shortly after falling asleep and shortly before waking. I've never managed to catch one on the meter and I'm afraid I didn't pay much heed because I thought that as a T2 NOT on insulin I shouldn't get them. I don't know what a hypo feels like but I've haven't felt unwell on waking. My BS levels before sleep are usually in the mid-6s, and for the rest of the night are in the low 5s.

Firstly, our sensors can go doolally when we are in bed - lying on that arm doesn't help. It happens to me all the time. I've even had under 3 before now. I just discount it as being a false reading, and as I have, up to now, always woken up in the morning, I don't worry. Our blood sugars do drop naturally when we are asleep, but our livers take care of us and will dump that little bit of glucose when we go too low.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My personal experience has been that I can ignore low libre BS readings overnight. On the occasions when I have had one and I have then tested a blood monitor, 100% of the time I have actually been within range on the blood monitor. I think this might be something to do with sleep positions rather than reality. The vast majority of the time it is within a reasonable range.
Also I get low readings over night without fail on the first day of the new sensor. I still love the sensor, but I ignore the hiccups !

Reactions: DeejayR

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes, I wondered about hiccups and I do lie mostly on the arm with the sensor on. Thanks, it looks as though I haven't been ignoring anything important.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes, I wondered about hiccups and I do lie mostly on the arm with the sensor on. Thanks, it looks as though I haven't been ignoring anything important.

Perhaps change the position of the sensor on your arm? (To a place you are less likely to lie on). You have nothing to worry about, but I agree it can be very annoying as it mucks up the averages.

Reactions: DeejayR

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps change the position of the sensor on your arm? (To a place you are less likely to lie on). You have nothing to worry about, but I agree it can be very annoying as it mucks up the averages.
Yes, I have put previous sensors in a better position and recorded no night-time lows. I only have four a year as they're so expensive!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told by consultants, and also read. That it's not unusual for non diabetics to drop into the 3s overnight. Nothing to worry about.