No awareness of hypos

ajei

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi...looking for support or some wise words. I've been diagnosed T2 for about 8 weeks now and despite eating more I still keep having hypos. Morning bloods are between 5.1-6.5 but despite eating a good breakfast and regular meals I have around 4-6 hypos a week, anything from 3.9-3.1, but I have no idea until I test. Are they really hypis if I have no symptoms and should I be worried?

thanks

Ajei

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @ajei
If you are getting those sort of readings ( 3.1 - 3.9 ) despite taking no injected insulin on board and perhaps eating a somewhat normal diet including some carbs ( not sure as you have not said )

could you perhaps have a look at reactive hypoglycaemia ??
I will tag @Brunneria for her input on this

I do hope you can get some answers -- keep pushing your GP !!!!!

Reactions: miszu

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think u shouldnt be experiencing hypos then... 3.1 sounds low, Im not sure if this could be dangerous tho if ur not on insulin. Probably not. But hope some T2s see ur post soon.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ajei I'm not type 2 but I believe you are on blood glucose lowering medication if you're taking gliclazide (which from my limited knowledge encourages the pancreas to produce insulin). This page from the NHS has more info on the tablet.

In that case I would suggest you are falling into hypo range with the gliclazide and it would probably be worth discussing with your doctor to see if your medication needs adjusted. If you are in the UK and drive you would have needed to notify the DVLA when starting medication like gliclazide which can lower blood glucose and you need to be able to spot a hypo on these medications as with insulin.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Of course, type 2s can have hypos !

Not only can and do Type 2s have hypos (I know as I have experienced them, as have many others) but those on meds such as Gliclazide are particularly at risk of them (and warned by professionals about this)...and those on low carb diets need to watch their blood sugar doesn't drop too low.

Last edited by a moderator:

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi miszu...no insulin just tablets...metformin, linagliptin and glicazide.

DO NOT BELIEVE that Type 2s cannot have hypos !!! VERY IMPORTANTLY, Gliclazide in particular lowers the blood sugar level...dramatically in some cases...being far more powerful drug that say Metformin...and I would say that most diabetics and medical staff who are aware of the potential for hypos in Type 2s would say that anything under 4mmols CAN be a hypo..we all differ in how that feels and some need lower levels to really experience a hypo. I had three separate doctors and a diabetic consultant all warn me that Gliclazide meant a risk of hypos..and I would stress that if you let your carbohydrate intake get too low while on this medication...hypos aren't just possible they are likely. I suggest you record what you eating, what your levels are before and after and then you look for patterns. I keep a tin of sweets in a cabinet by my bed for this reason. Since coming off Gliclazide and relying purely on a low carb diet, I have had no hypos (in over 18 months). I hope some other Type 2s respond to you. Meantime - Google it ! Don't be worrying about it if you feel fine, but keep an eye on it.

Reactions: Jaylee and Ixarix

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi miszu...no insulin just tablets...metformin, linagliptin and glicazide.
Hi, @ajei ,

The medication you are taking can potentially cause hypoglycaemia...
The figures you test at are low.! See you HCP (health care proffessional) for a review on your prescribed meds ASAP!

Kind regards.

J>

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi...looking for support or some wise words. I've been diagnosed T2 for about 8 weeks now and despite eating more I still keep having hypos. Morning bloods are between 5.1-6.5 but despite eating a good breakfast and regular meals I have around 4-6 hypos a week, anything from 3.9-3.1, but I have no idea until I test. Are they really hypis if I have no symptoms and should I be worried?

thanks

Ajei

Ajei - Unfortunately a number of posts have been moderated to remove content which may not have helped with your original query and be confusing for others reading your thread at a later date. In this diabetes malarkey every day's a school day and there's so much to learn and absorb, with so many personal nuances and experiences.

I would however reiterate what other posters have posted, in that T2 diabetics can have hypos, although for those on fairly "gentle" medication they are rarely medically concerning. However, as you are on Gliclazide, it's action is somewhat stronger, in terms of driving your blood glucose numbers downwards. Glicazide,works by stimulating your pancreas to produce more of it's own insulin, so, it is perfectly possible to have hypos, and the numbers you post, of under 4, suggest you are going a bit on the low side, which is too dangerous to ignore.

Bearing that in mind, please do be vigilant, and treat your hypos, in the way that your health care professional has told you to. If for whatever reason, you weren't advised on hypo treatments, you might find this page to be of use: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/how-to/treat-a-hypo.html . The site also has a hypo-awareness programme that could be worth a look.

As others have suggested, it would be useful to discuss your recent hypos with your health care professional, in order to agree a way forward.

It's great news your numbers are coming down, but it's important that your medications and lifestyle remain matched.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Beej@76

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would just add that not all health care professionals
1.Tell type 2 patients to inform the DVLA when taking Gliclazide
2.Warn the patient that a hypo with Gliclazide is possible
3.Give info to a patient on dealing with a hypo
It's only because I now use a metre and test if I'm having a wobble and feeling unwell plus after a meal that I realise I had hypos because of too low carb intake.
My hp although usually excellent and supportive hadn't warned me about Gliclazide when I told her of my diet.I was taken off Gliclazide immediatly.

The only information about hypos I had as a type2 I gained from this site.Thankyou!

ajei

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone for your input. I can't get an appointment with my HCP for another 6 weeks but will try your suggestions until then.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect the Glicazide is creating the problems for you, and if I was you, I would get a same day emergency GP appointment to get the dose reduced, or to be taken off it. (The other drugs you are on are unlikely to give you problems with Hypos.)

(I stopped Glicazide without getting approval from my GP due to hypos, but as none of us are doctors we are not qualified to tell you what to do with drug etc.)