1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

No funding for my libre. As don't fit criteria. Thanks to Libre!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by smag3, Feb 10, 2019.

1. smag3

smag3 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So having funded the libre myself for the past 3 years, I asked if I could have it on prescription.
    Response was NO, as I did not fit the criteria of poor control, frequent hypos, testing more than 10 times in a day. I explained I don't have any of those issues thanks to the Libre. NO was the response. Sigh.....

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Might be worth another try in April when the rules change, no idea if they will change their stance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

You are not alone.
    I am sure it doesn't make you feel any better but we are "rewarded" for taking interest with our diabetes with a pat on the back, only.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Same here, I don't get funding, but not bothered as willing to self fund regardless and now use the G6 even though it's a massive stretch each month, it's the fact I can get much better control and as long as that keeps me out of trouble I'm more than happy to.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Copernicus

Copernicus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yup exactly the same for me and my consultant says it won't change come April 1st.

6. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

But you most probably scan at least 10 times a day.....................

7. Copernicus

I do, but the CCG's will not recognise a scan using Libre and insist that the scans must be by fingerpricking and you must fingerprick at least 8 times a day, which sort of defeats the point of the Libre.

8. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Does anyone have a problem with the libre device falling off their arm?

Also, so you have your iPhone device complete with app. Do you scan to get historical readings or is the data trickle fed realtime?

9. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know a number of people have had problems getting them to stay stuck on so there are various threads about what to use to keep them stuck on, personally they stick to me like superglue, getting them off after 2 weeks is my challenge!

You have to scan at least every 8 hours because the sensor itself can only hold that much data, by itself you have to scan it (using the reader and/or your phone to get the data) to get the data.
    However there is at least one gadget that you can buy to make it talk to your phone such as the Miao Miao I think (I've not got one so can't say much about it, I may have also spelled it wrong)

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

The Abbot website have a few videos which should help answer your questions if you are thinking about getting a libre.
    Take a look here

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Okay thanks. I have also just given them a call.

It seems the data goes to the cloud and once there one can go online and view it in a nice graphical form...

#11 Listlad, Feb 14, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  12. Copernicus

Yesterday I saw my Diabetic Consultant for my annual review. I asked him how the new guidlines for issuing the Libre on prescription would change and if I was likely to get it. Once again he said no because my diabetes was well in control with my HB1AC reading at 7.0 ie 50 mmol/mol and therefore I would not qualify. I asked him what the point of the new guidlines were and he said it was purely to bring all the CCG's into line and ensure that some areas who were issuing them willy nilly and others that were being very strict used the same criteria He went on to say that he thought it very unlikely that more diabetics would get them on the NHS. I pointed out to him that when I was buying my latest sensors from Asda, the pharmacist was astonished that I was having to pay for them and that just that very day she had handed out 5 to one customer and 7 to another, both on prescription. His response to that was " Well that's why new guidlines are being brought in." I'm not very optimistic that things will change much come April 1st.

13. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

@Copernicus things do not appear to be fair wrt Libre funding.
    However I would not judge my qualification on what was said by a pharmacist who knows nothing about the diabetes management of the 5 people she knows have it on prescription.
    Yesterday I was told I probably would qualify but the CCG has decided to prescribe no more until April.

14. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They said it would open it up to 25%, not holding my breath. It is just about bringing the CCGs into line. Which is a good thing, but the media have fuelled a belief that all will get it. We won’t!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. LornaFarrell

LornaFarrell · Well-Known Member

I know my diabetes Center are expecting a lot more people to get them. Currently they handle it all in house as it were and under 18s, pregnant women etc have to go to the hospital to pick the sensors up. Their concern is that they can’t do all the extra people that way and need them to be dispensed via the pharmacies, so they are trying to sort that out.

16. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

So presumably some people who are currently getting them will now be cut off? I can see some
    "My CCG will no longer give me the libre" threads coming up soon.
    On the plus side, I suspect that things were probably similar when they first started introducing glucometers. Give it 5 years and we may well find that everyone who wants can have one. (Once the sums are done and they realise that there are real savings in reduced hba1cs and reduced visits to A&E with hypos and DKAs).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree Ellie but it's a shame that 5 years may be too late for some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Not everyone who wants a glucometer gets one still (most type 2’s don’t). I suspect it’ll take more than 5 yrs for libres to available even to all type 1’s.

19. emmay

emmay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook