No more pumping for now.

iHs

I'm having loads of problems with my quick-set cannulas on my medtronic. However, I AM underweight. But boy! I really do wish there was a magic calorie pill to help me gain weight because it just doesn't happen. I've never been a weight gainer. I even avoid exercise that I know will burn calories and as a result am not physically fit at all.

Serious question - if anyone has good suggestions, I'd be really interested. I have managed to gain a bit of weight in the past. I did actually do this with a high nut consumption, but I have to be careful with them now because too many upset my stomach a lot. But even with some weight gain I can never seem to get passed about 8st 6lbs when I could do with being about 9st at least. Over the past 3-4 weeks I've managed to inadvertently lose about 3lbs due to skipping meals when basal testing and being more active. I can never win when it comes to weight. Anything I gain will come off eventually.

Sorry to hear of your issues, Spiker. I've only been on the pump since 14th Apr and it has been very frustrating for me as I'm constantly plagued by set fails. I KNOW I can get brilliant BG results (thanks to a lot of excellent help and advice) but I'm seemingly thwarted by gremlins in the machine. I also seem to get ketones pretty quickly when my set fails and my BG goes above 13.

I'm trying to get steel cannulas as opposed to the plastic ones. They started me on 9mml (too big) then gave me 6mml (also giving me grief and had a nasty bleed with one the other day). At this point, while I can see great positives with the pump and BG levels I can also see massive cons when it comes technical issues.

Best of luck to you, Spiker :)

Ive found that the best weight gaining food is chocolate and salted peanuts. Cakes also work and the dried milk chocolate type drinks add on the lbs along with butter, icecream

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@iHs, I'm loving your list of "Ways to get fatter" - I think it deserves its own topic!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have got a clearly explained email from Accuchek global team explaining why they will not make smaller sets... And I am fully happy that their reasoning is correct.

Its time for a rest. I have every confidence that my wonderful consultant and nurses will look after my insulin requirements and consider every option.

I have been offered the libre and could I think get a funded cgm but from my previous experience 3 years ago with freestyle navigator I am not going for those options either because it is probable that my muscles in my arms, stomach etc are probs with them too.

It is a relief... Wholly a relief that I can have a rest and I have a superb hospital team
as well who really appreciate me for whom I am.

Reactions: 8 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 43 years in, and still on MDI. I think I wouldn't want a pump for all the reasons @Spiker stated.

I also have a waking rise which I have to bolus for, otherwise I keep a fairly stable BG level with only 3 shots a day.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I have got a clearly explained email from Accuchek global team explaining why they will not make smaller sets... And I am fully happy that their reasoning is correct.

Its time for a rest. I have every confidence that my wonderful consultant and nurses will look after my insulin requirements and consider every option.

I have been offered the libre and could I think get a funded cgm but from my previous experience 3 years ago with freestyle navigator I am not going for those options either because it is probable that my muscles in my arms, stomach etc are probs with them too.

It is a relief... Wholly a relief that I can have a rest and I have a superb hospital team
as well who really appreciate me for whom I am.

I spoke with someone in person who has switched from Dexcom to the Libre and is really happy with it. It can be inserted where there is some interstitial fluid present and that can be the arm, tummy, leg. Different tapes can be used like the coloured rock tape to the sensor transmitter in place but it lasts for 14 days and new one is inserted on day 13 to allow for it to settle before starting it. I will also have a go with doing that when I start the Dexcom G4 as it makes good sense

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By the way I want to acknowledge a huge debt to everyone who stuck it out with pumps back in the day when they were only 85% reliable, then 90% reliable, then 95% reliable, etc. Without the efforts of those people pumps would not have improved to the reliability they have today. Still not perfect but vastly improved.

I think the problem I faced as much as anything is maybe the improvement trend going into reverse, on infusion sets, as the technology "matures" and they start to think they can cut costs and cut quality control on the manufacturing of these expendable but vital components.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have now got my appt with hospital who are giving me Tresiba. All new pens, needles, expert meter etc on 24 June.

They are doing it thru an appt and letter to GP to stop the GP wiping off pump stuff from my scripts...

Its a relief to be honest. Like Spiker- thankyou to the people who gave such great advice to me going on the pump.. Now will be needing advice going back to MDI especially Tresiba!!

Interesting days ahead.... Am now counting down to my appt.

It will also be interesting for me as I got leg pains mainly heightened when using pump in last 5 years. I have had it suggested to me by a doctor that these may reduce when I do not have insulin pumping subcutaneously feeding my body every 3 minutes... But that will be a separate angle for me to monitor..

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have now got my appt with hospital who are giving me Tresiba. All new pens, needles, expert meter etc on 24 June.

They are doing it thru an appt and letter to GP to stop the GP wiping off pump stuff from my scripts...

Its a relief to be honest. Like Spiker- thankyou to the people who gave such great advice to me going on the pump.. Now will be needing advice going back to MDI especially Tresiba!!

Interesting days ahead.... Am now counting down to my appt.

It will also be interesting for me as I got leg pains mainly heightened when using pump in last 5 years. I have had it suggested to me by a doctor that these may reduce when I do not have insulin pumping subcutaneously feeding my body every 3 minutes... But that will be a separate angle for me to monitor..
DD - I've been using Tresiba for about a year now and find it very flat and predictable. It lasts up to 42 hours, but you take it once a day. Was previously on Lantus but found it could be a bit unpredictable sometimes. Hope you get on well with it.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs @robert72 Given the level of activity that DD undertakes, is Tresiba likely to cause issues? I've not heard of anyone else being very active on it.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been advised to go on to the accu chek insight because of the threat of night time lows, I have doubts if it's for me one is my job as a plasterer and also the pump always attached taking away a bit of normality.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@robert72...

I will upload my current profile... I need to get a routine that will cope with this... Ie would it be best for tresiba in morning or at night. The increase in the profile bars is how much more insulin pumps thru me on these hours.....

I have days when I am really active and days when less active but always busy.... I don't stop.

Any advice for jab timing would be so much appreciated....

Will have to upload from phone... Will show in a couple moments!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1433852282.218876.jpg

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@robert72...

I will upload my current profile... I need to get a routine that will cope with this... Ie would it be best for tresiba in morning or at night. The increase in the profile bars is how much more insulin pumps thru me on these hours.....

I have days when I am really active and days when less active but always busy.... I don't stop.

Any advice for jab timing would be so much appreciated....

Will have to upload from phone... Will show in a couple moments!!
I'm currently taking mine at 10pm. I have tried 6pm and 8pm as well but it seems to make little difference. Not tried morning yet. I hear that it is quite forgiving about some variability in the time you take it, but again not really tested this.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm currently taking mine at 10pm. I have tried 6pm and 8pm as well but it seems to make little difference. Not tried morning yet. I hear that it is quite forgiving about some variability in the time you take it, but again not really tested this.

Did you have any waking DP prior to using tresiba?

Sorry Spiker for intruding....

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my last 4 weeks. I seem to have a dip early morning and a slow rise until I get up and bolus for the waking rise.

Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 13.28.55.png

Did you have any waking DP prior to using tresiba?

Sorry Spiker for intruding....
Yes - I have always had waking DP

Reactions: 7 people