No more pumping for now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It's improved since I stopped trying to aim for the 4s and 5s and surprisingly, so did my A1c

Thank you for the information and confirmation of DP. It is great to see a success story...

Thank you so much...

Reactions: 2 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@robert72 WOW seeing that graph has given me hope! I have very bad DP. I notice you are very low carb though so hope that my BG will be as good on a slightly higher carb diet. Still inspiring though. Do you manage that on only 3 Novorapid injections a day?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@robert72 WOW seeing that graph has given me hope! I have very bad DP. I notice you are very low carb though so hope that my BG will be as good on a slightly higher carb diet. Still inspiring though. Do you manage that on only 3 Novorapid injections a day?
Normally that's one Novorapid when I wake up and another at dinner, then the 3rd is Tresiba at 10pm. I seem to not need Novo at luchtime ...unless I'm at a restaurant ;)

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@robert72
What would your levels go up to if you did not have the novorapid on waking?
Can I ask please what dose of Tresiba you have at 10pm.
My DSN for lantus thought it would be about 10/% more then my 17 unit now but has warned me it may be a few weeks of suck n see....just interested, not for comparison or anything..

Incidentally are you using 100ml disposable pens? I unerstand you can get those to deliver 1 unit dosage but the 200ml only deliver in 2 unit dosage??

Are they disposable pens??

Don't want to get too excited as my CCG are the worst in the country although Inhave the best consultant (I think)....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Apologies Spiker.. i will stop hijacking thread... I so apologise.... I hope that your Lantus is working out please let us know.. I do apologise...

How are you getting on with logging data and making changes??

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Always wake up about 4.5-6.0 but bloods go to 7.0-8.0 within an hour or so so I bolus a couple of units of novarapid and it was the same when on humalog and it's been quicker to do this by pen than pump.

When I mentioned yesterday to wife and kids about a pump break even for a day, the reaction was if I'd murdered someone even though I know it's up to me, I do feel a sort of loss donnellydogs that you might resort back to mdi as your a godsend with some of your wisdom on the insight pimp, and I hope you keep us up to date as well as Spiker on your new regimes.

I think your issues have got to be a good foundation for bringing about 4mm cannulas as this might aleaviate the problem of knocking yourselve with your bag etc.

On a personal note, I think your weight, height etc is fine my wife is the same as you almost ( not diabetic) and she has never had her weight challenged at the doctors or anything like that so I think your fine

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies Spiker.. i will stop hijacking thread... I so apologise.... I hope that your Lantus is working out please let us know.. I do apologise...

How are you getting on with logging data and making changes??
No worries DD this is all interesting and relevant.

My waking bolus seems to be around 3u of Novorapid. I am handling protein in meals by injecting after the meal rather than before and that seems to be working out ok. Still lots of tweaking to do. I haven't done a basal and ratios test yet due to inconvenient life events intruding. But I am feeling good and actually feeling in control for the first time in a long time. Thanks for asking. x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@robert72
What would your levels go up to if you did not have the novorapid on waking?
Can I ask please what dose of Tresiba you have at 10pm.
My DSN for lantus thought it would be about 10/% more then my 17 unit now but has warned me it may be a few weeks of suck n see....just interested, not for comparison or anything..

Incidentally are you using 100ml disposable pens? I unerstand you can get those to deliver 1 unit dosage but the 200ml only deliver in 2 unit dosage??

Are they disposable pens??

Don't want to get too excited as my CCG are the worst in the country although Inhave the best consultant (I think)....
It's a long time since I let them rise very much but easily into double figures over 2 or 3 hours.

I'm currently taking 12u of u100 Tresiba but it can go down to 10u at times. I use the Penfil cartridges in a NovoPen Echo (non-disposable) as it has a dose and memory feature. It also does half units.

I don't know how the basal dose would relate to using a pump, but when I switched from Lantus, I cut the dose to about 75% and titrated as needed. Only took about a week to find my level.

I believe the u200 only comes in disposable pens - it's aimed at people who take very large doses. If you get cartridges for a NovoPen Echo, there's less chance of mistake at the chemist as it can only be u100.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you @Spiker and @robert72.

I know prior to pump I could range anywhere between 9 and upward on mdi despite splitting etc. It will give nurses and me an opportunity to play with better knowledge from both of you.

Incidentally,I also found out last night that there was a note not put on my medical records that "may be allergic to aspartame" this was put in a letter from a consultant in 2003 and not on my records and I wasn't told
either. I have had certain illnesses diagnosed and undiagnosed like fibromyalgia, leg numbness, restless legs etc being investigated and this "aspartame" note may well be significant as well to my general health problems in the past 15 years.....

I am now waiting for Consultant to "beg" for degludec. There are other drugs that my GP has asked for that have been redlined... Only a cream for my face that is £120 that I was refused as well for (which I now pay for myself). So it may well be that I will end up paying for this insulin myself with a consultant prescription.... but it is an option.

Looking at the criteria for my CCG to prescribe it though, I Would personally fight their decision as well if it was a no.

Thank you @Spiker. I thought my ratios would be the same from my pump when transferring back....

Interesting times agead, I can see that!!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I just had Animas on the phone for a long chat. They called me. They are going to do a lessons learned process and see what went wrong their end and what they can change or improve. Better late than never so well done them.

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have spoken and emailed Accuchek.. My main chap. I never speak to anyone else..for his sake, can't post his name here....
Anyway.. Have suggested that Accuchek Research Dept contacts all their longer term pumpers to find out their opinions and feedback ref cannulas, problems etc.
Have also mentioned these postings to show his global team etc...

I never ever thought I would ever go back to MDI. Never. My consultant has emailed me and said she is disappointed that I have cannula problems and there is no other option. I am going to mention the diaport though when I've researched this more....

Glad animas contacted you @Spiker.

Nobody really knows what long term (30 years, 5 years or 18 months) on a pump is like and they should be doing follow up research with us all..

Reactions: 7 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@donnellysdogs The diaport is very difficult to get approved for as I have looked into it. It's costs in the region of £30k and you have to be unable to manage on MDI or pump.

@Spiker I wish I could believe Animas weren't just paying lip service. I know they have had a lot of complaints over poor set quality. They continue to put cost cutting first.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs The diaport is very difficult to get approved for as I have looked into it. It's costs in the region of £30k and you have to be unable to manage on MDI or pump.
Diaport looks quite interesting, but reading around on the topic, seems to have quite a high failure rate (1 in 3) so I can see why they are wary of doing the op. It does seem like the ideal way to attach an artificial pancreas though.

I guess it's worth investigating if nothing else works.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@Spiker Lesley from input has a diaport, so perhaps contact her and ask her opinion on it.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Right you are, my mistake. I met her at the same INPUT event. Apologies for any mistake.
I didn't take it as a mistake, just suggested Lesley because I knew she has one and didn't know if you knew :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Decided today not even going to think about a DiaPort....

Have felt such a relief planning my countdown to coming off the pump... It's quite surprised me.

Today has had another uncomfortable set but levels stuck at 5-6.0 so will wait till tomorrow to do my daily change.

Just waiting now to hear about Degludec but am willing to go to the Press if I am refused it as I do fulfil the criteria to be allowed it. Hopefully this won't be necessary.

Have made notes of all the help on times of doses etc.. So thank you for this. Very much appreciated.

@Spiker.. Have you been using the same ratios for corrections or bolus's as was set up on the pump?

Things I will enjoy..
Nothing extra on body;
No waiting with the timers on the Insight pump;

Most of all- being able to jump in bath and not having to detach, attach etc.. That is going to be my biggest enjoyment of all.

Quite excited at the prospect now. Fear is disappearing...

Reactions: 10 people

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Decided today not even going to think about a DiaPort....

Have felt such a relief planning my countdown to coming off the pump... It's quite surprised me.

Today has had another uncomfortable set but levels stuck at 5-6.0 so will wait till tomorrow to do my daily change.

Just waiting now to hear about Degludec but am willing to go to the Press if I am refused it as I do fulfil the criteria to be allowed it. Hopefully this won't be necessary.

Have made notes of all the help on times of doses etc.. So thank you for this. Very much appreciated.

@Spiker.. Have you been using the same ratios for corrections or bolus's as was set up on the pump?

Things I will enjoy..
Nothing extra on body;
No waiting with the timers on the Insight pump;

Most of all- being able to jump in bath and not having to detach, attach etc.. That is going to be my biggest enjoyment of all.

Quite excited at the prospect now. Fear is disappearing...

Sod a diaport, initial feedback wasn't great.

Crystallising insulin, dodgy absorption and follow-up surgeries from what I read.

Only reason I'd ever consider one is if I couldn't get decent absorption from pump or MDI.