1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

No one regulate bogus diabetes products?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by millenium, Apr 28, 2019.

1. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

I come across the above product advertisement in fb. I think it is unethical to make such claims to diabetic patients like using it will lower bg to normal range by using it a few days.

There is another company marketing grapeseed extract with before and after pics with a glucometer showing similar results.

No authority is monitoring such health threatening marketing?

[link removed by moderator as per forum ethos rules. Agreed it does look bogus.]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #1 millenium, Apr 28, 2019 at 1:27 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2019
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's an interesting question. I wonder if complaints to facebook would make them take it down? A careful look at their website suggests the return address is in Canada, but of course that may be a completely bogus address. I certainly doubt that English is the company's first language.
    Yes! It works very well. There's countless clinic reasearch on the individual ingredients contained in the Diabetic Patch.

I couldn't find a company name and the only linked papers are into research that rehmannia may improve glucose tolerance and arthritis in rats. Honestly, if a "natural" remedy was going to have an affect on my metabolism, I'd want to have a link to some clinical trials to say that it was safe. (I mean, deadly nightshade is natural, but I certainly wouldn't recommend eating it.)
    Maybe report to the US food and drug administration?
    https://www.fda.gov/

• Like Like x 2
  3. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, they're targeting the elderly. It's just wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tayelola

tayelola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Buyers beware.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DianaMC

DianaMC Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I see it appears this is being sold on UK EBay, too - from a seller in China. Having looked at an article on the use of Chinese medicine (TCM) in diabetes treatment, I don’t feel so cynical. I had TCM to help with stress related illness - exhaustion and eczema - when I first started experiencing chronic health problems and it helped me get back on my feet. So I’m maybe more willing to accept there’s something to it and that it’s a positive approach - albeit different to the allopathic medicine typically followed in the West (which has made me more ill at times, due to the side effects of prescribed drugs!)

Here is the article I read - it’s quite long and you need to read down to the bit on herbal medicine to get the reference to rehmannia and how that herbal extract is relevant:

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/14/3/154

• Like Like x 1
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

What age group is elderly ? IMO, any bogus recommendations should be made illegal and the person brought to justice, it is so wrong !!

• Like Like x 1
  7. millenium

It seems like there are some kind of data collection on online activities. They can somehow picked up what stuff I keyed in e.g. blood glucose stuff and show me advertisements on bogus diabetic marketing like these. The comments from potential users are alarming with the kind of hope they have.

8. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tend to treat everything on FB as BS. There a few things I follow which I have already researched and trust. Anything that doesn't seem right usually isn't. With new sources I might find some time to substantiate claims made and once in a blue moon it's accurate.

We're a trusting lot us humans, and there are too many unscrupulous types who will take advantage of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. brassyblonde900

brassyblonde900 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Unscrupulous persons have been marketing snake oil since the dawn of mankind.

This is why a glucometer should be a must for everybody with a T2DM diagnosis.
    No matter the claims made about a product, a glucometer will tell if the claim is credible - end of:dead:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Aubergines
    Paprika
    Bell peppers

Are all deadly night shade vegetables related to belladonna but unlike belladonna are not lethal in the short term.

11. millenium

The way it is marketed is alarming. Even meformin do not has the effect like their products. Works more like precise amount of insulin.

Unknowing patients looking for their easy way out will have their condition worsen in a short time.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook