No symptoms help?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all

So I did say I would be back.

One of the things that is a struggle to me is that I have not had any of the symptoms, which I am mostly grateful for, but the weight loss I could have done with. As I said I have had no symptoms and this is making it hard for my head to accept that I have diabetes. Has anyone else felt like this and can you give me some advice?

Many thanks

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on avoiding the symptoms so far. Not sure I'd class "weight loss" as a T2 symptom - weight gain is a much more usual occurrence, certainly was for me.

First thing is that you really need to find out what works for you. We're all different and some of us tolerate certain things better than others. I found that a keto diet - that's about 20g carb/day - worked for me in reducing symptoms and getting my blood sugars quickly back to normal. Weight loss followed. Others have got the same sort of results without going so low, or by eating in a totally different way.

I would suggest you get a glucometer and test your blood levels (as a minimum) before food and two hours after. That way you see the impact that various foods have on your blood glucose. Ideally you don't want a rise of more than 2 mmol/mol, or a rise above 7.0. This doesn't replace your HbA1c reading (I'm not sure you've said what yours is) but does give you a snapshot of what's going on with you right now. A single reading won't tell you much - are you 5.5 still heading upwards, or 5.5 at peak? - so you may want to take a few more until you get used to how your system responds.

I'd also read some of the success stories you'll find elsewhere on this forum. Different people, maybe different approaches.

best of luck!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What motivates me is not the noticeable symptoms (which I think are what you are talking about) but avoiding the things that we don't notice such as damage to our feet and eyes and heart and kidneys and ... if I don't manage my diabetes.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve never really had any symptoms, except thirst when first diagnosed, I was in hospital hooked up to drips telling the doctors there must have been a mix up, ten years on I still have days (yesterday in fact) when I do let a thought of it all being a big mistake creep into my head, my bg Is so good and insulin so little lately, it’s hard not to think like it. Here’s hoping huh.

Reactions: Paddingtonbear

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no symptoms at all. Not thirsty, not craving cokes or beer, not weeing much either. Felt fine, but was passing a Diabetes UK roadshow at my local supermarket, and decided to try their free test offer as my mother had recently passed from T1D complications.. My life changed that day, That was 30 years ago. I went into 20 years of denial, but eventually decided to take control, which led me to this site. My life changed again.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on avoiding the symptoms so far. Not sure I'd class "weight loss" as a T2 symptom - weight gain is a much more usual occurrence, certainly was for me.

First thing is that you really need to find out what works for you. We're all different and some of us tolerate certain things better than others. I found that a keto diet - that's about 20g carb/day - worked for me in reducing symptoms and getting my blood sugars quickly back to normal. Weight loss followed. Others have got the same sort of results without going so low, or by eating in a totally different way.

I would suggest you get a glucometer and test your blood levels (as a minimum) before food and two hours after. That way you see the impact that various foods have on your blood glucose. Ideally you don't want a rise of more than 2 mmol/mol, or a rise above 7.0. This doesn't replace your HbA1c reading (I'm not sure you've said what yours is) but does give you a snapshot of what's going on with you right now. A single reading won't tell you much - are you 5.5 still heading upwards, or 5.5 at peak? - so you may want to take a few more until you get used to how your system responds.

I'd also read some of the success stories you'll find elsewhere on this forum. Different people, maybe different approaches.

best of luck!

Thank you KennyA. I have started Weight Watchers and the plan they have me on helps keep the carbs lower. I will see how it goes. My HbA1c reading was 82 when they first diagnosed me and in one month I was able to get it down to 76. I am on Metformin and waiting to hear from the diabetes nurse as to when they want me to have another blood test.

I will start monitoring my blood glucose levels as you suggested to see what foods affect me and I think that will help get my mind on board.

Thanks again

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I’ve never really had any symptoms, except thirst when first diagnosed, I was in hospital hooked up to drips telling the doctors there must have been a mix up, ten years on I still have days (yesterday in fact) when I do let a thought of it all being a big mistake creep into my head, my bg Is so good and insulin so little lately, it’s hard not to think like it. Here’s hoping huh.

Thank you Fenn, I didn't even have thirst and because both my mother and brother have T2D I have been looking for the symptoms as I thought it might come for me, but it was still a shock. I think taking KennyA advise on testing my blood will help with my head.

Thanks again

Reactions: Lainie71 and Fenn
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no symptoms at all. Not thirsty, not craving cokes or beer, not weeing much either. Felt fine, but was passing a Diabetes UK roadshow at my local supermarket, and decided to try their free test offer as my mother had recently passed from T1D complications.. My life changed that day, That was 30 years ago. I went into 20 years of denial, but eventually decided to take control, which led me to this site. My life changed again.

Thank you Oldvatr. That was exactly how I was and I was aware that I could get it as it is in the family so always was looking for any symptoms. I really want to get control of this sooner rather than later.

Thank you again

Reactions: Oldvatr

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
You could be running for years with blood sugars in the low teens without any symptoms but doing so much damage to your body so it's good you have been tested and can now do something about it , a blood testing monitor will be essential to gain good control though , good luck !

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no symptoms either. Only went for a test because my sister got diagnosed and that and my age put me in a high risk category.
Since lowering my bg I don't wee so often and my eyesight has improved and weight has dropped off. Turns out I hadn't identified these as symptoms, but they were.

Keeping my eyesight and my limbs motivates me more than reducing symptoms that were so mild I didnt realise I had them

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could be running for years with blood sugars in the low teens without any symptoms but doing so much damage to your body so it's good you have been tested and can now do something about it , a blood testing monitor will be essential to gain good control though , good luck !

Thank you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no symptoms either. Only went for a test because my sister got diagnosed and that and my age put me in a high risk category.
Since lowering my bg I don't wee so often and my eyesight has improved and weight has dropped off. Turns out I hadn't identified these as symptoms, but they were.

Keeping my eyesight and my limbs motivates me more than reducing symptoms that were so mild I didnt realise I had them

Thank you MrsA2. I didn't even have the wee issue. Had a weight issue and short sightedness which I've had almost all my life and in fact my eyesight has improved but I'm now starting to monitor my BG levels and note them over the next week or so to see how they change.

Thank you again