Not diagnosed, seeking advice please.

EKW4Y

Hi, I am female, age 57, 5'4" and weigh 15 1/2 stone so technically obese. I have a history of breast cancer (2007) and opted for a total hysterectomy about five/six years ago to reduce the chances of breast cancer returning (oestrogen positive cancer).
After the operation, I soon developed debilitating symptoms of pain all over my body, cognition problems, depression and fatigue and within a year I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by a Rheumatologist. My weight quickly increased after the hysterectomy, within six months I gained two stones and it just kept going up and up, I was a size 14/16 before the operation and am now size 18/20.
I have joined this forum because I think I might be following my Mum and maternal Grandmother in developing late onset diabetes, I am currently off work sick since January with a massive flare up of 'fibromyalgia' and depression but I wonder if the many sudden prickly or stabbing pains I feel, particularly in my thighs and legs (but also around my body), coupled with the recent visual problems I have been experiencing (blurred/double vision) could be due to 'neuropathy' and not all down to Fibromyalgia.
It's been on my mind so I have this week invested in a Glucometer rather than potentially 'miss' something - of course I am aware I might be letting my imagination run away with me but after being hospitalised two years ago with cellulitis and sepsis and being a cancer survivor, I have come to realise how fragile good health can be, I want to maintain it and I would value your opinion on the Glucometer readings I have for the last three days so I can decide whether to pursue this line of thought or be reassured that the readings are OK (and stop testing myself).
Tuesday on rising 7.2mmol/L; 2 hrs after breakfast 7.5; missed before and after lunch but 2 hrs after dinner 8.5.
Wednesday on rising 6.8; 2 hrs after breakfast 9.2; before lunch 7.5; 2 hrs after lunch 8.0; before dinner 6.8; 2 hrs after dinner 6.9.
Today on rising 6.8; 2 hrs after breakfast 7.3; missed before lunch but 2 hrs after lunch 6.9; before dinner 8.1 and 2 hrs after dinner 7.1.
I realise that this is only a short time that I have been testing but I would greatly appreciate some feedback on the results.
Many thanks in anticipation.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They don’t look horrible but they do seem a little higher than ideal as a background level. A non diabetic would typically be seeing lower numbers fasting/ before meals. The rises post meal aren’t big though so I’d guess you’re choosing to eat quite low carb which is good. Is this your typical diet or a recent change due to your concerns.?

Here’s some guidelines on levels, remember meters aren’t completely accurate and give guidance not diagnosis.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: lwb84

EKW4Y

Thank you HSSS for your quick reply - it dawned on me tonight that I have been exceptionally good and only eaten sparingly this week (because of my concerns) so the results, if anything might be a little lower than my 'normal', I shall try to eat my regular diet over the next few days and see if the results are any different.
One thing I forgot to mention was that at the time the rheumatologist diagnosed Fibromyalgia, he also diagnosed 'fatty liver' which may, or may not be relevant?? Also, I had really high cholesterol and have been on Atorvastatin for over a year.
Thanks again x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @EKW4Y and welcome to the forum, we aren’t allowed to diagnose but some of your figures do appear higher than ideal and the best way to proceed is to go to the dr with your results and ask for an HbA1c test. It’s a clever test which looks at your average blood sugar levels over the last three months, so your recent dietary changes will not really affect the result.
Here’s some info about HbA1c tests:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-test.html
Also just a note which may be relevant is that Statins (atorvastatin is one) are known to elevate blood sugars.

Reactions: EKW4Y

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started to eat low carb back in the 1970s - it was the only way to stop weight gain, and as I cut out the heavy starches my weight went back down easily.
Even if you are not diabetic, I can vouch for the effectiveness of low carb to make you feel better and more energetic, but I am pretty sure I had an enlarged liver - my middle was so hard I could not bend over without 'springing' my ribs - so painful. Now my waist is so much smaller I have had to replace all my clothes twice - my trousers actually fell down a couple of times - luckily not in public.

EKW4Y

Thank you for this Rachox, I am seeing the GP in a couple of weeks so I should have a few more readings to take and know what I should be asking him if I still have any concerns at the appointment.
I am most impressed with your weight loss, well done you x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this Rachox, I am seeing the GP in a couple of weeks so I should have a few more readings to take and know what I should be asking him if I still have any concerns at the appointment.
I am most impressed with your weight loss, well done you x
Thank you for your kind words. As @Resurgam says, even if it turns out you’re not diabetic, low carb eating is an excellent way of losing weight. I’d tried all kinds of diets in the past, but low carb has been the easiest and most effective.

Reactions: Prem51

EKW4Y

I started to eat low carb back in the 1970s - it was the only way to stop weight gain, and as I cut out the heavy starches my weight went back down easily.
Even if you are not diabetic, I can vouch for the effectiveness of low carb to make you feel better and more energetic, but I am pretty sure I had an enlarged liver - my middle was so hard I could not bend over without 'springing' my ribs - so painful. Now my waist is so much smaller I have had to replace all my clothes twice - my trousers actually fell down a couple of times - luckily not in public.
Thank you for this, Resurgam, most encouraging I take onboard what you are saying - I stopped going to slimming world (as my weight was stationary), there I was told 'fill up on wholewheat pasta and fruit' etc - I'm now realising that (if I am indeed diabetic or prediabetic) this might not be in my best interests - you live and learn don't you? x

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told not to go back to the slimming club I went to on my doctors advice - I gained weight on their regime of 'healthy' carbs and protein.

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
Hi @EKW4Y
First of all let me wish you a warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you have been going through such a rough time .

As @Rachox has already mentioned your next step should be a Hba1c test and that will give a answer how your blood glucose are over time.

I truly wish you well on your onward journey..

Reactions: Prem51 and EKW4Y

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fatty liver can be helped a lot by lower carb eating and some anecdotal reports are that it can help with fibromyalgia so they don’t prevent you considering low carb eating in my opinion.

Sounds like you have a decent plan for the next week or so til the appointment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

A fatty liver is a sign that you are insulin resistant, and this in turn can lead to a diabetes diagnosis. Most of us T2s are insulin resistant, at least when we are first diagnosed. This means briefly that our insulin can't work properly because the cells are resistant to it, so the pancreas just keeps producing more and more insulin until the glucose from the carbs has been cleared into the cells. Meanwhile, we have more and more insulin circulating in our blood stream trying to do its job but failing. Too much insulin leads to weight gain, (insulin is a fat carrying hormone) and we also end up with too much glucose in our blood stream because the insulin can't clear it.

I agree with the others that your best bet is to ask your GP for an HbA1c test. This is the test most often used to diagnose diabetes, and is a sort of average of your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months weighted towards the last 2 or 3 weeks.

EKW4Y

Fatty liver can be helped a lot by lower carb eating and some anecdotal reports are that it can help with fibromyalgia so they don’t prevent you considering low carb eating in my opinion.

Sounds like you have a decent plan for the next week or so til the appointment.
Thank you for this x