Not sure what's happening.....

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was diagnosed T2 at the beginning of Feb hba1c 52 and put on to 2 x metformin twice a day (500mg). Told not to test bg and left to get on with it.
Thankfully found this forum and straight away went Lchf, within a few weeks started to feel better and noticed bg levels were coming down( borrowed a meter).
The last few weeks however whenever I eat I feel sick so am trying to only have one meal a day, can't stop going toilet and feel utterly miserable. Wondering if high bg levels could be causing this. Can't test as I don't have access to a meter and husband is being made redundant so cannot afford to get one (mortgage to pay).
Just wondering what people's thoughts were,
Have cut out bread, pasta,wheat, rice etc.
Yesterday I had nothing for breakfast and lunch and for dinner I had slices of roast lamb and kale.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello @hca
I don't take metformin, I've have managed to avoid medication so far by using LCHF (my mum did take metformin, she was diagnosed T2 in her 70's), I've read quite a few forum posts about apparently similar problems being a side effect of metformin, it seems that the slow release version can be less problematic.

I suggest you do a search on the forum, I expect that someone with more personal knowledge of metformin will be along to comment shortly but this might be a starting point.

Well done on your progress so far.

I was told not to test my bg by my diabetic nurse too but I think that following the forum advice and buying a meter and testing (together with going LCHF) has been one of the best decisions I've made.

Reactions: Rosiegough_
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first thoughts are that you sound like you are having the classic reaction to Metformin. Contact your nurse and explain what's happening.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou for your replies. Forgive my ramblings but new to this forum thingy and sharing thoughts etc.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou for your replies. Forgive my ramblings but new to this forum thingy and sharing thoughts etc.

You're doing fine @hca and you're not rambling at all :)

If you ever need help finding your way around the forums, just ask :) There are plenty of helpful members here, or you can always PM a mod if you prefer.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You must get a meter. Many manufacturers will provide one free but the strips can be expensive. The SD Codefree on the web is one of the cheapest buys. Do ask the GP to change to Metformin SR (Slow Release) if you are on the standard version.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree your sickness etc is likely a side effect of the Metformin. With an HbA1c of 52 I am surprised you were prescribed tablets. It isn't a drastic level and many doctors will allow a period of about 3 months without medication to try and sort yourself out with diet and exercise. My HbA1c was 53 but medication was never mentioned, and never has been since.

As for a meter, I appreciate your financial difficulty, but if you can save up a little and buy a Codefree or a TEE2 you may find they aren't as expensive as you think, and could be a lifesaver for you in the long term..

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The TEE2 meter is free and the strips are fractionally dearer than the Codefree.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @hca ..
It seems like you may be having a bad reaction to Metformin and, as others have said, you should maybe ask to try the slow release version .. and you certainly should be talking to your GP.
For self-testing, try the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @hca ..
Just as @Bluetit1802 says above .. we were both thinking on exactly the same lines .. and I know that this will sound like a cliche but you can't really put a price on your health ..

Reactions: Bluetit1802