not sure whether I should be offended or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I would be annoyed at being 'outed' in public more than anything else. Being diabetic is my business and that of those whom I choose to tell. Not that there's any shame attached to it of course before anyone jumps in :)
Someone did it to me on face book, I was so annoyed, particularly as they were diabetic too.
I agree with the others, take the opportunity to educate this person. I knew nothing about it til I got it, now I know too much.

NorthCountryMaid

There's another aspect to this which hasn't been raised.

Suppose the lecturer knew you were diabetic, but still gave you a sweet. Now technically you are (I assume) an adult BUT if anything had gone wrong with your bg levels, then some people would have sued the college because you were given a sugary item by someone who "should have known better". Believe me, I saw this happen over someone who was certainly over 18, but had some problems getting in to college and ended up with a lower class of degree that perhaps their basic IQ would have suggested. The parents sued the college for failing to look after their child properly, under "duty of care" regs because their child would have done better if the college had checked properly as to whether the student was depressed (medical problem - problem college needs to take into account) and not just idle (character flaw - not the college's fault). I'm not identifying student, college or outcome for obvious reasons, but it did happen. After that all lecturers etc were warned to read the several hundred pages which affected "duties to students" in the college handbook. :crazy:

If the college lawyers had seen a lecturer giving sugary treats to a known diabetic they would have hit the roof.

This is stupid, but it's the way the rules work - and there are now people out there who will sue. A greedy solicitor could say that giving sugary treats to anyone is a breach of the duty of care, because they might be diabetic and the lecturer wouldn't know. Or obese - and they're making a serious medical problem worse. And, of course, giving a student a drink should also be a no-no - alcohol abuse being a problem. Incidentally, I was told years ago by someone who'd done a first-aid course, that she could not give anyone a paracetamol any more because she now knew that some people had a bad reaction to paracetamol.

Now, as others have pointed out, you could get the lecturer carpeted for "outing" you as a diabetic and you could complain that they were insufficiently respectful of your right to determine for yourself what you could or could not eat. The only safe course for that lecturer was not to have offered anything to eat or drink to any student in any context, thereby avoiding all the legal minefields. A formal complaint should cause the college management to issue a general directive to all lecturers to that effect. :!:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LECTURER GAVE STUDENT VODKA

The best thing Dizzyrj can now do is hand this bottle of Vodka over to us experts as to avoid any more conflict.

NorthCountryMaid ,has made a very interesting legal case if Solicitors are involved.

The only other alternative is to do a deal with your lecturer with separate "no win No fee basis solicitors" then go 50/50 together ensuring the University loses.

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
I totally know how you feel haha, I've had a few college friends say this to me, it does irritate you. But like someone else mentioned, maybe she was just looking out for you, i swear half of Britain don't have a clue about Diabetes, people automatically think we're not allowed sugar -.-! If I were you I would have a quiet word with her :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Excellent result. The eductor became an educatee and has learned something they'll be unlikely to repeat in future. Plus you got the most buncey gift of all.

Not too sure about someone in a position of authority handing vodka out - it could be seen as a bad example, but it was a meaningful gesture and it's be harsh to castigate her now, as she has made amends and obviously put a lot of thought into the issue.

I personally let eveyone I work with know I'm diabetic. Comes in handy in that when working late, they give me plenty of notice when going if we're the last to leave. Also in meetings, if they are dragging on, I just nip out to take tablets or inject if I have to take insulin and no one bats an eye. My mates and workmates keep an unobtrusive, protective and caring eye on me.

Go steady on the Vlad! (Hic) :D

Mart

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
PS : I would advise to write a strong letter of complaint about being given a substance that can cause your BG levels to crash rapidly!

(Joke)

candiloo

I think that is victimisation and if you as part of the group could not have any sweets, they should not have beeen brought in. She should be reported. The fact that you can have them and inject to cover them is irrelevant. She needs reporting.

Mr Happy

I think people should chill. I have more issues with her giving vodka than the mention of the sweets. It was insensitive but probably well meant. If now been educated then job done!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dizzyrj

Problem has been resolved, She gave me the vodka outside of college time so I am not reporting her at all. She was actually very sorry and I am not bothering to report her.

I really do not want to be doing any suing as there is waaaay to much paper work.

DavidK

I think it was a disgraceful think to say. However I would not report her-just tell her how you felt

MitzieMartin

I actually feel like I should make a complaint against her to the college as it really upset me and things don't normally do.

am I over reacting?

YES you are over reacting. Get a grip of yourself! A formal complaint, really? If you go through life being this sensitive you are going to be eaten alive.

I think a quiet word is the best answer. However if this happened to me my issue would have nothing to do with diabetes, my issue would be the fact that she thinks she can tell me what to do/not do. This may be because of her position as a "superior adult" working in education and that she sees herself as someone who can simply tell others what to do.

Me no like. It's about control. That's my issue. Have a quiet word and explain that you feel infantilised and that she needs to understand that you are an adult with a condition that she doesn't understand and that she needs to stop treating you like a child and credit you with a bit of intelligence and the ability to make choices for yourself.

It's clear that she sees all the students as small children otherwise she wouldn't be giving them sweeties, for crying out loud....

A

Anonymous

dizzyrj said:
Friday at college, my lecturer decided to bring in some marshmallows & other sweets for everyone. Then went to me
"YOUR NOT ALLOWED ANY AS YOU ARE A DIABETIC."
I actually felt really offended by what she said. I actually feel inclined to make that decision and adjust my own insulin dose to counteract the god knows how much sugar there are in them. If I have a hyper or hypo from them that is my own fault.

I actually feel like I should make a complaint against her to the college as it really upset me and things don't normally do.

am I over reacting?

I would haven taken one marshmallow or sweet and either popped it in my mouth or saved it for later (waste bin or mouth). You can sit on a marshmallow without causing too much personal discomfort. If the lecturer comments, then I would just them that I know what I am doing and don't need any advice, thankyou!. If the lecturer is fat I might even add 'my diet helps keep me trim'.That might shut the lecturer up.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
you do actually have every right to complain and i myself would do so as the foods in question are fine for a diabetic if controlled within dietary needs in fact the only things you really must avoid are jams and syrups plus alcohol due to its ability to drop your blood sugar levels very fast and hard but either way the right to choose is yours and yours alone and nobody has the right to segregate you or show any bias towards you due to your conditions.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Not this again. The issue has been resolved. I'm surprised how many sensitive delicate flowers there are. You need to be strong to cope with diabetes and the stigmas and misconceptions that come along with it.
Save your energy and strength for the battles that count. Sure there are ignorant, clueless people out there regarding diabetes. I knew very little about it to be honest before I was dignosed and I may be wrong but I suspect others may agree to some extent. Some people aren't malicious, rather curious or inexperienced in the field. I forgive people their inaccurate preconceptions and take time to explain, rather than curl into a ball and sob. This approach has served me well and is a fail-safe in my experience. I am not a shy person and get on with those I work with etc and this is hundreds of people out of a company of 35,000 staff. Try and be objective and think what you would think if there was a time you remember before being diagnosed diabetic. This does not apply to those who have been diabetic from birth or an early age, for obvious reasons and I'm not being exclusionist here.

To a man (woman), I wish you all good luck in overcoming your obstacles.

Mart.

MunkyBo1

Dislikes
Injecting 5+ times a day
I get this abuse at work every time a customer treats us to sugary goodness, IV been in my job for 8 years but been t1 for the last 2. We get cakes,tins of biscuit. Donuts (with jam) and so on and all the guys at work constantly tell me I can't have any even tho in tried to explain to then how it works (DAFNE) I guess on some levels your never gonna teach old dogs new tricks x good luck

equipoise

This case was resolved perfectly amicably. There is no point in taking offence (as a diabetic or for any other reason) unless offence has been deliberately given. Like most diabetics, I am the regular recipient of ill-informed comments -- sometimes I try to correct them, sometimes I don't bother. If you walk around waiting to take offence then you will soon wind yourself up and cause stress to yourself and others. IMHO, it's important to focus on the cases where offence is deliberately being given (especially in situations where there is a power relationship involved) - if we get upset at every misinformed comment then it distracts us from the cases where we really need to bring in the big guns, formal complaints, legal redress, etc.

Hi,

For sure, you should not feel offened. Being a diabetic, this is not a fault that we made. You should just ignore that comment and should not feel bad either. Keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.