Not Type 2....

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
..... says lady at Asda Pharmacy this morning.

I've been type 2 diagnosed for 2 years but decided to take the free Asda pharmacy finger prick test today.

My reading was 6.3 - which is high for me (liver dump)?

She also said it was possible to cure type 2.

I think Asda should withdraw diabetes testing or train their staff better.

Reactions: 6 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Good grief! That's how to reassure people - not!! Their test could have been inaccurate for a number of reasons anyway.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She did say you could eat your way to type t2 diabetes but as you get older if you avoid cheese and butter that would help!

Reactions: 6 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
She did say you could eat your way to type t2 diabetes but as you get older if you avoid cheese and butter that would help!
Whaaat? Unflippinbelievable Trouble is, someone who hadn't found the correct info (on this fouum) might very well believe her. It's a good thing that you know better @VinnyJames

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

I think you should inform Asda that their pharmacy is giving out inaccurate information that might deter a member of the public seeking the relevant medical advice.

John Evans, Superintendent Pharmacist, ASDA House, Great Wilson St., Leeds, LS11 5AD

Or by e mail : [email protected]

Reactions: 12 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've been type 2 diagnosed for 2 years but decided to take the free Asda pharmacy finger prick test today.

As a matter of interest, what would you like her to have said, bearing in mind your snapshot test was in the non-diabetic range?

Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a matter of interest, what would you like her to have said, bearing in mind your snapshot test was in the non-diabetic range?

Maybe just the results and not a diagnosis .

Clive

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe just the results and not a diagnosis .

Clive
In fairness with a reading within the non-diabetic range the diagnosis was correct. Would having just the results been of any real use to someone not familiar with blood sugar readings. If you go to the chemist to get checked for diabetes presumably you want to know whether or not you are diabetic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you have to think about what she said and what she may have intended. It is possible for some T2s to go completely into remission if the diabetes is the result of excessive carbs in the diet. It's not cured but effectively 'gone' as long as the diet is good. I think what she said was probably well-intended but not correctly stated. I've heard far worse on this forum about qualified GPs.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you should inform Asda that their pharmacy is giving out inaccurate information that might deter a member of the public seeking the relevant medical advice.

John Evans, Superintendent Pharmacist, ASDA House, Great Wilson St., Leeds, LS11 5AD

Thank you - I will pursue this out of a sense of duty really...

G

graj0

I think Asda are irresponsible for even thinking that a finger prick test is any good for identifying not having diabetes. Although 6.3 comes within the range that Diabetes UK considers normal (< 8) 2 hours after a meal, they obviously shouldn't be making any claims. Had the reading been > 8, they should then only say "seek further tests from your GP".

I'm not making excuses for the person but I can well imagine that it's what she's been told to say.

BTW, did you not correct her?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
To @VinnyJames I would be interested to know where she took the blood sample from, was it the pad of your finger tip or at the side of the finger by the nail where it should always be taken from?

I remember being in hospital just after my diagnosis and as my levels were so high, 29+ mmol/L and an hba1c of 12.6%, I was put on an insulin drip and was tested every half for 24 hours, they even woke me up through the night to test me :( and every test was made either on the pads of my fingers or the pads of my toes, to say that my finger tips were sore afterwards would be an understatement!

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The side of the finger.

Personally, I've always pricked myself on the finger pads.

Is there a big difference?

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I agree that's seriously iffy advice. A complaint needs to be made.