Type 2 Nothing seems to help control my sugars...

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I was diagnosed as diabetic back in 2013 with a HBA1C of 48. Fast forward 3 years and despite diet changes, more exercise and eventually medication, I have just been put on insulin. My September HBA1C was 99!! I am happy to use insulin as hopefully it will work for me however, I started on a dose of 10 units of Humilin I in the mornings and the first few days I was seeing much better readings. Over the last 4 days my readings are creeping back up to regular 13's and 15's. My GP has today advised that I should add an 8 unit dose in the evening. I am still taking Metformin 2 tablets 3 times daily and Gliclazide 2 tablets twice daily. I'm wondering if the increase in meds will ever stop. My blood sugar just keeps creeping. I don't drink fizzy, sugary drinks, I limit my carb intake although I am in the process of learning more about low carb diets...I just feel that no matter what I do I can't get my sugars under control.

A

asparagusp

Poor You. I'm sorry I feel powerless to offer any help. What type of Diabetes? Are you under stress or taking any non diabetic drugs? Has your weight also gone up?

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your response...I take Losartan for protenuria and I am asthmatic. The GP diagnosed me with Type 2 but I am beginning to wonder if i might be adult onset type 1 although me GP has dismissed this without testing. I also had emergency spinal surgery in 2014 due to a disc causing paralysis in my right leg...I have had subsequent surgeries and procedures such as steroid injections into my spine...last one was November this year. my weight has actually come down, I have lost 8lbs recently...I am at 9st 10lbs so my BMI is normal.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had. C peptide or GAD test? That will help determine if you are LADA.

What do your daily meals look like as far as carbs?

A

asparagusp

Information about Losartan which can elevate your sugar levels - https://www.drugs.com/losartan.html and steroid injection too can raise blood sugar levels. Many articles online including this one - https://www.drugs.com/losartan.html. I think overall both or one of these drugs are/is causing you higher readings that you are used to. Ask the doctor if there are alternatives.

As for the diagnosis of diabetes, ask the doctor for a GAD test to determine your type. If he disagrees then get it done privately.

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had. C peptide or GAD test? That will help determine if you are LADA.

What do your daily meals look like as far as carbs?

I haven't had a C Peptide or GAD test. I was hoping the GP would offer me one but she dismissed the idea of me being anything other than type 2 straight off.

In terms of daily meals, I have plain yoghurt and fruit most days for breakfast, lunch can be difficult but tends to be a salad which occasionally includes a small portion of egg noodles, dinner varies but most evening I cook from scratch and leave most carbs off my plate especially mash potatoes. My biggest love (and temptation) is pasta but I limit myself to maximum having one pasta dish a week.

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Information about Losartan which can elevate your sugar levels - https://www.drugs.com/losartan.html and steroid injection too can raise blood sugar levels. Many articles online including this one - https://www.drugs.com/losartan.html. I think overall both or one of these drugs are/is causing you higher readings that you are used to. Ask the doctor if there are alternatives.

As for the diagnosis of diabetes, ask the doctor for a GAD test to determine your type. If he disagrees then get it done privately.

I hadn't thought about looking at my other medications so thank you for this Asparagusp :) I will defo be looking into these and seeing if there are alternatives I can take.

When I mentioned 'types' to my GP earlier I think I was so taken aback by her instant dismissal of the idea I might be something other than type 2 that I actually didn't think to ask regarding testing. I have another review with her next Tuesday evening so will mention the test again but will also look into having it done privately.

Thanks

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I was diagnosed as diabetic back in 2013 with a HBA1C of 48. Fast forward 3 years and despite diet changes, more exercise and eventually medication, I have just been put on insulin. My September HBA1C was 99!! I am happy to use insulin as hopefully it will work for me however, I started on a dose of 10 units of Humilin I in the mornings and the first few days I was seeing much better readings. Over the last 4 days my readings are creeping back up to regular 13's and 15's. My GP has today advised that I should add an 8 unit dose in the evening. I am still taking Metformin 2 tablets 3 times daily and Gliclazide 2 tablets twice daily. I'm wondering if the increase in meds will ever stop. My blood sugar just keeps creeping. I don't drink fizzy, sugary drinks, I limit my carb intake although I am in the process of learning more about low carb diets...I just feel that no matter what I do I can't get my sugars under control.

how many grams of carbs do you eat a day ? maybe you should go o to actually weigh your foods to get an excactly number... most eat far more than they think if they dont weigh it...

maybe you eat some kind of food that you are not aware of is carb filled ...

try sharing what you actually eat ...

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how many grams of carbs do you eat a day ? maybe you should go o to actually weigh your foods to get an excactly number... most eat far more than they think if they dont weigh it...

maybe you eat some kind of food that you are not aware of is carb filled ...

try sharing what you actually eat ...
Hi Freema thanks for replying. I haven't begun carb couting yet as I am just learning about that...a typical day is yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and I cook from scratch most evenings and only eat the meat/fish and veg. Very occasionally have rice or roasted potatoes. My big temptation is pasta but I limit pasta dishes to no more than one per week.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I'm guessing that your tolerance for carbohydrates is very low. I would speak with your doctor about doing a short experiment of dropping your carbs to less than 50 per day and adjusting your medication accordingly. you are on various meds so you will need her support. If she refuses to assist you you might have to consider a change of doctor. a significant number of type 2 people are eliminating most diabetic meds adopting this approach but it does take some determination and focus to achieve.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Freema thanks for replying. I haven't begun carb couting yet as I am just learning about that...a typical day is yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and I cook from scratch most evenings and only eat the meat/fish and veg. Very occasionally have rice or roasted potatoes. My big temptation is pasta but I limit pasta dishes to no more than one per week.
That isn't low carb - breakfast in particular is not good - but if you cut out fruit and pasta, chose low carb veges, no rice, no potatoes I am sure it will help. I am back on Atkins since being diagnosed last week, and use Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution for my way of eating. I realise now that it has kept me from developing diabetes for decades - I am 65 and less than two years off low carb, on doctors instructions got me to HbA1c reading close to 100.

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it's your diet. Are you overweight/putting on weight?

My weight has largely remained the same since diagnoses. I am currently 9st 10lbs, 5ft 3inc and a size 12 which shows normal on the BMI scale. i have never been overweight other than post pregnancy :)

I know that I could go 'lower' carbs but I don't think my diet is disastrous...

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That isn't low carb - breakfast in particular is not good - but if you cut out fruit and pasta, chose low carb veges, no rice, no potatoes I am sure it will help. I am back on Atkins since being diagnosed last week, and use Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution for my way of eating. I realise now that it has kept me from developing diabetes for decades - I am 65 and less than two years off low carb, on doctors instructions got me to HbA1c reading close to 100.

Hi Resurgam...thanks for your post...I am only starting on low carb and still learning. I'll look into the atkins diet :)

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm guessing that your tolerance for carbohydrates is very low. I would speak with your doctor about doing a short experiment of dropping your carbs to less than 50 per day and adjusting your medication accordingly. you are on various meds so you will need her support. If she refuses to assist you you might have to consider a change of doctor. a significant number of type 2 people are eliminating most diabetic meds adopting this approach but it does take some determination and focus to achieve.

Thanks Psignathus...I am seeing my GP again on Tuesday so will ask her about dropping my carbs that low. :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight has largely remained the same since diagnoses. I am currently 9st 10lbs, 5ft 3inc and a size 12 which shows normal on the BMI scale. i have never been overweight other than post pregnancy :)

What is your diet ? I did 20g of carbs a day and my bs improved no end

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your diet ? I did 20g of carbs a day and my bs improved no end

Thanks Enclave...a typical day is yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and I cook from scratch most evenings and only eat the meat/fish and veg. Very occasionally have rice or roasted potatoes. My big temptation is pasta but I limit pasta dishes to no more than one per week.

I realise this is not very low carb but I have only just started looking into low carb so I am just learning. 20g a day is hardcore!! :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think maybe you could quit fruits for breakfast.. and that it would help your blood glucose if you ate a breakfast without carbs ..

fruit sugar is the worst kind of sugars for diabetics and even seems to contribute hugely to fattyliver which many type 2 diabetics do have. even the slim ones..

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Enclave...a typical day is yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and I cook from scratch most evenings and only eat the meat/fish and veg. Very occasionally have rice or roasted potatoes. My big temptation is pasta but I limit pasta dishes to no more than one per week.

I realise this is not very low carb but I have only just started looking into low carb so I am just learning. 20g a day is hardcore!! :)

yes 20 grams are hardcore, but I don´t think anyone goes so low if it wasn´t actually nessesary for that person... and we don´t decide ourselves how diabetic /insuline resistant we are... it is the other way around, we find out how bad we do and make the needed ajustments finding out that we actually hardly can´t cope with any carbs..

I can cope with about 80 grams of carbs a day that is on metformin, without metformin maybe I could only cope with 20 grams a day and remain in normal/healthy range of blood glucose

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Freema I will try quitting fruit for breakfast and see how that helps. I also think I need to look at my evenings as my morning fasting sugar has been 11.6 on average so far this week.

I guess I need to really embrace carb counting and dropping it really low.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have signed up today for the Diabetes.co.uk 10 week low carb program which states that for the purpose of the program you should aim for between 120 - 150g per day but from reading some of these responses I am not sure if that is low enough.