1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Novorapid vials in short supply

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Emila, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Emila

Emila · Member

Hi, I am a first time poster. For background purposes my teenage son has had type 1 for 14 years, he has been on the accuchek combo pump for nearly 8 years. Usually we get a repeat prescription every 2 months which includes 6 vials of novorapid insulin for his pump. To be honest we normally get some of the vials straight away and generally have to go back a day or 2 later for the rest. However, last Thursday the chemist could only let me have one vial so I went back today assuming they would have just ordered some more, but they had none available at all and said they had sent a note to the doctor's surgery asking if there was an alternative!! The chemist say they try to keep ordering it but they don't always get the amount they need. This is worrying me. Has anyone else had difficulties getting novorapid vials for their pump??

2. Ann48

Ann48 Type 1 · Member

Hi Emila,

I've been on Humalog for a long time, I'm just trying Nova Rapid to see if it will help my control. I ordered 1 x10ml vial for my pump, when I went to collect the pharmacist had 10x10ml for me. So don't think there's a problem in my area. I've only taken 2 to try out.

3. Emila

Emila · Member

4. Emila

Emila · Member

Thanks for your reply Ann. It's all a bit strange. I intend speaking to my son's DSN on Monday to see what she thinks about it. I've visited another chemist and they only have a total of 3 vials in stock ( the prescription asks for 6) unfortunately to go to another chemist, I would have to go back to the doctor to get another prescription (confirmed by both chemists) so I'm wondering how many times do I need to get a new prescription to get the 6 vials :(.

5. Ann48

Ann48 Type 1 · Member

Hi Emila,

I hope you manage to get this sorted soon. Hopefully your chemist will be able to get hold of the remaining prescription soon.

6. Emila

Emila · Member

Thanks Ann. Just out of interest....What is the difference between humalog and novorapid? I hope it works for you anyway, if you are having difficulties with your control.

7. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Here's what Lilly say about their Humalog Insulin "starts 5-15 min Peaks 1-3 hr Lasts 4-6 hr"

Here's what Novo Nordisk say about their Novorapid Insulin
    "The onset of action of NovoRapid occurs within 10-20 minutes of subcutaneous injection. The maximum effect is exerted between 1 and 3 hours after injection. The duration of action is 3 to 5 hours. NovoRapid has a more predictable time to peak effect within subjects than soluble human insulin."

I used to be on Humalog before I had to switch to NovoRapid for the pump prefilled cartridges, don't really remember any difference when I swapped.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ann48

Ann48 Type 1 · Member

Hi Emila,

I used to be on Nova Rapid long time ago, when I was on MDI, I had lots of hypos, usually around the 2-3 hr mark, I used to swing from low to high, then treat the high and go low. Since being on the pump 5 years now, the control is better. After meals I tend to be a bit high sometimes and as I have active insulin, the pump doesn't do a correction. I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two, but on the whole, I think Humalog suited me better.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook