Novorapid vials in short supply

Emila

Hi, I am a first time poster. For background purposes my teenage son has had type 1 for 14 years, he has been on the accuchek combo pump for nearly 8 years. Usually we get a repeat prescription every 2 months which includes 6 vials of novorapid insulin for his pump. To be honest we normally get some of the vials straight away and generally have to go back a day or 2 later for the rest. However, last Thursday the chemist could only let me have one vial so I went back today assuming they would have just ordered some more, but they had none available at all and said they had sent a note to the doctor's surgery asking if there was an alternative!! The chemist say they try to keep ordering it but they don't always get the amount they need. This is worrying me. Has anyone else had difficulties getting novorapid vials for their pump??

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Emila,

I've been on Humalog for a long time, I'm just trying Nova Rapid to see if it will help my control. I ordered 1 x10ml vial for my pump, when I went to collect the pharmacist had 10x10ml for me. So don't think there's a problem in my area. I've only taken 2 to try out.

Emila

Hi Emila,

I've been on Humalog for a long time, I'm just trying Nova Rapid to see if it will help my control. I ordered 1 x10ml vial for my pump, when I went to collect the pharmacist had 10x10ml for me. So don't think there's a problem in my area. I've only taken 2 to try out.

Emila

Thanks for your reply Ann. It's all a bit strange. I intend speaking to my son's DSN on Monday to see what she thinks about it. I've visited another chemist and they only have a total of 3 vials in stock ( the prescription asks for 6) unfortunately to go to another chemist, I would have to go back to the doctor to get another prescription (confirmed by both chemists) so I'm wondering how many times do I need to get a new prescription to get the 6 vials :(.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Emila,

I hope you manage to get this sorted soon. Hopefully your chemist will be able to get hold of the remaining prescription soon.

Emila

Thanks Ann. Just out of interest....What is the difference between humalog and novorapid? I hope it works for you anyway, if you are having difficulties with your control.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here's what Lilly say about their Humalog Insulin "starts 5-15 min Peaks 1-3 hr Lasts 4-6 hr"

Here's what Novo Nordisk say about their Novorapid Insulin
"The onset of action of NovoRapid occurs within 10-20 minutes of subcutaneous injection. The maximum effect is exerted between 1 and 3 hours after injection. The duration of action is 3 to 5 hours. NovoRapid has a more predictable time to peak effect within subjects than soluble human insulin."

I used to be on Humalog before I had to switch to NovoRapid for the pump prefilled cartridges, don't really remember any difference when I swapped.

Reactions: Ann48

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Emila,

I used to be on Nova Rapid long time ago, when I was on MDI, I had lots of hypos, usually around the 2-3 hr mark, I used to swing from low to high, then treat the high and go low. Since being on the pump 5 years now, the control is better. After meals I tend to be a bit high sometimes and as I have active insulin, the pump doesn't do a correction. I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two, but on the whole, I think Humalog suited me better.

Hi, I am a first time poster. For background purposes my teenage son has had type 1 for 14 years, he has been on the accuchek combo pump for nearly 8 years. Usually we get a repeat prescription every 2 months which includes 6 vials of novorapid insulin for his pump. To be honest we normally get some of the vials straight away and generally have to go back a day or 2 later for the rest. However, last Thursday the chemist could only let me have one vial so I went back today assuming they would have just ordered some more, but they had none available at all and said they had sent a note to the doctor's surgery asking if there was an alternative!! The chemist say they try to keep ordering it but they don't always get the amount they need. This is worrying me. Has anyone else had difficulties getting novorapid vials for their pump??

Hi. Yes I also am running out of novorapid pump cart and there is none in any of tge local chemists. Apparently there is a problem at the manufacturing stage.

Might need to go back to pens in a few days. Makw sure you have some.
Jim

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @Jim Walsingham - the thread your responding to is almost a year old now so unlikely to yield responses from these members, it’s best to start a new thread with your query to gain more responses, hope this helps.

Reactions: Ann48

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
What about Flexpens? I use these to fill my reservoir, plus on the off chance there's a pump issue, I can just pop a needle tip on and inject (*shudder*) if I ever say.... Lost my pump (this happened - I had to go back to MDI and 2x insulins - not great).

Reactions: porl69

Vegman1441

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use Novo-rapid Victoza and Lantus and it seems chemist just cant get hold of any Insulin even large major chains.????
Who is holding on to it, we are told dont store medicines but someone is.

the doc 56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello their is a shortage of vials which is affecting mainly Novo rapid and Humalog, i am an ex snr nurse and was told by my GP to phone other pharmacies or the local hospital, the practice stated they would not make any attempt to seek the insulin, the pharmacy has been brilliant the GP practice absolute contempt for patients here in stanmore. I spoke to Boots and they stated it is a temporary shortage which was given to all GPs on July 21st from the manufacturers, it also appears Humalog is going through a supply change

Emila

Hello their is a shortage of vials which is affecting mainly Novo rapid and Humalog, i am an ex snr nurse and was told by my GP to phone other pharmacies or the local hospital, the practice stated they would not make any attempt to seek the insulin, the pharmacy has been brilliant the GP practice absolute contempt for patients here in stanmore. I spoke to Boots and they stated it is a temporary shortage which was given to all GPs on July 21st from the manufacturers, it also appears Humalog is going through a supply change
That's good to know, thank you for sharing, I hope you managed to get everything that you needed.

M

Member34835

Hi. I have had no problem getting novorapid vials recently. I use a Tandem Basal IQ pump but was formerly on the Acuchek Spirit Combo until they discontinued them, something which may happen to your son's pump once it is out of warranty fyi (if you are in the UK?).
For me the novorapid/humalog is interchangeable so I'd hope that any problem with Novo factory or supplies could be alleviated by going to Lilly's offering though would need a GP to add this as an option.
If you are running short give a shout out to see if anyone can lend your son a vial in your area.

Emila

Hi Nicole I have had no problem getting novorapid vials recently. I use a Tandem Basal IQ pump but was formerly on the Acuchek Spirit Combo until they discontinued them, something which may happen to your son's pump once it is out of warranty fyi (if you are in the UK?).
For me the novorapid/humalog is interchangeable so I'd hope that any problem with Novo factory or supplies could be alleviated by going to Lilly's offering though would need a GP to add this as an option.
If you are running short give a shout out to see if anyone can lend your son a vial in your area.
Hi Nicole thanks for your reply. My original post was from 2018 and not had much problem since, even through Covid. (We did change pharmacy to Boots). It seems someone has come across the thread and it's started up again.However, as I always say things happen for a reason, and I'm very interested in the fact that you've now got a Tandem pump. My son has been told that he needs to renew his pump and can't have the Combo anymore. They have told him to choose either a medtronic (I've looked at the 780g), the omnipod or the Tandem. I would be very grateful if you (and anyone else out there) could give us some advice about any of them. (I would like him to have a closed loop system as he is a bit hit and miss with his testing. I think Tandem are able to do closed loop). He doesn't use his remote blood sugar meter any more as he uses libre 2, but doesn't seem to get any alarms for highs and lows. Maybe that needs another thread! I look forward to hearing your views on the Tandem though :)

Last edited: