Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Just sent my LCHF experiences to Trudi as requested.

And I got a lovely email response from Trudi after she'd been up late baking low-carb cakes for the book launch :)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And I got a lovely email response from Trudi after she'd been up late baking low-carb cakes for the book launch :)

So did I. A nice personal reply about my stats and her low carb snacks she is preparing for the launch today.

low carb chocolate, coffee and Victoria sandwich cakes, ice cream and cheesecake – all high fat and low carb with only around 2-3 g carbs per portion. I want people to experience that eating low carb doesn’t have to be boring!

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So did I. A nice personal reply about my stats and her low carb snacks she is preparing for the launch today.

low carb chocolate, coffee and Victoria sandwich cakes, ice cream and cheesecake – all high fat and low carb with only around 2-3 g carbs per portion. I want people to experience that eating low carb doesn’t have to be boring!
Oh so true. We make lunches and bring them in to work to microwave. It's very easy to make a wide ranging selection that gives you no worse a range than going to Pret or Eat everyday (ever wondered why people get bored of these? That's right, all sandwiches use the same mayo or the soups are all made from the same stock, which always drives the flavour). And of course the fun with fatbombs also give s some nice treats!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't find all of my results yet, so I'll send them to Trudi at the weekend when I have more time. I got my copy of the book today. It looks excellent.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You know - I think it would be an excellent idea to collect all the self-reported evidence and then attempt to publish it in one of the diabetes journals to raise awareness amongst healthcare professionals. The reason why I say "attempt" is because there may be publication bias but it is definitely worth a try. I would be happy to collate all the results and write up if you wanted me to.

Great idea, I'll certainly contribute :)

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was impressed that Trudi wants to collate our results. She doesn't need to do that. It is definitely my decision to forward mine to her. I can't see any reason why I wouldn't want her to use them. I mention anything relevant to anyone who reads this forum already, so why not forward them to her? Thank you Dr Deakin for being willing and able to help us.

It's about time professionals used the wealth of information on this forum. I'll gladly send her my info

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Anna,

Have only just picked up this thread which I find exceptionally enlightening that Dr Trudi Deakin has honored us and attended this forum.

It is fantastic that we can all post our results by email to Trudi, my only little concern is that like me I may have missed this thread, I came in at the end and it was only that I saw the Name mentioned 'Trudi' and knew that name, but many don't. That I picked up on this thread and read back and found the details. I clearly will be sending my data.

My worry is that there will be so many members that will miss this opportunity because they are not aware of this thread, and as a Forum we will miss the opportunity of passing some BULK information over.

Is there someway we a can alert members, to this or start a thread asking just for then to 'post those details only' maybe for a mass collation & mailing.

See what you think
Neil

This thread is set as a sticky - thus keeping it at the top
Of the low carb boards choice .

As it is a low carb topic thread - it is located in the best prime position .
Any member with this kind of interest can source and find it at the top
of the board choices more easily .

Her name is used to establish this thread is Dr Trudi Deakin
related and relevant material.

Global Announcements are only used and done with DCUK site material .

Last edited by a moderator:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Copy the link around to other threads frequented by members who might be interested. Go to the post number (#238 in this case, next to the 'like' button), right-click on it and select 'copy link' - you can then paste it anywhere like this

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/now-the-x-pert-advice-is-low-carb-high-fat.70271/page-12#post-736708

Please remember to paste this link within low carb/fats topic relevant threads .
Not just anywhere and everywhere .
Otherwise could cause possible derail and be confusing to other debates/discusssions .

Ollie88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tried to buy the book for £4.99 before the deadline ran out on 19th January. Too late it is now £9.99. Still 19th for another 40 minutes!

Ollie88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Xpert very kindly let me have the book for the advertised price of £4.99 up to 19th Jan. It's £9.99 now.

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was present at the book launch on Monday There was even TV coverage Have a look at Itv Callander News items on the web You can see Trudy and some other folk taking an interest too
Much talk of fat !!
I should say I think the book rather good .

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
The author of the X-PERT course, Trudi Deakin, has just brought out a new book :

Low%20Carb%20Handbook%20front%20cover_200.png

I was on day 3 of the X-Pert course today where the OLD way of eating (starchy carbs with every meal, low fat, low calories) was recommended. I approached the DN about the change in Trudi Deakin's view that fat is not all bad but that it is carbs that cause the damage, but my comments were dismissed. We are still being taught the old way - Eat Well Plate and don't ask questions !!

Oh.... and we were offered a piece of cake for coffee break - 20 cals each. I declined, but was the only one.

Just ordered a copy from X-Pert. Will take it along to the next X-Pert meeting.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guess she's still got to let the contract on the old course run out.
It's an interesting position for her to be in.
Tag her, and ask her for her view.

I think she actually said elsewhere that she's updating educators, so I wasn't quite on the money in my speculation of how things would run. So, things are more positive than I thought they were.

In any update programme there'll be those who attend first and those who receive their training/updates later. An unfortunate reality.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think she actually said elsewhere that she's updating educators, so I wasn't quite on the money in my speculation of how things would run. So, things are more positive than I thought they were.

In any update programme there'll be those who attend first and those who receive their training/updates later. An unfortunate reality.
I believe she also said she can't force people to take the update training.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Guess she's still got to let the contract on the old course run out.
It's an interesting position for her to be in.
Tag her, and ask her for her view.
I know... I do understand that the DN can't change the format of the course. We've all been given the (old) handbook and slowly work through the chapters. It puts here in a difficult position. I'm sure not helped by my questioning a lot of her assertions.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK - anybody who wants to be involved. if you want to email me at [email protected] by 16th February with the following information:
1. Date started on low carb diet
2. Grams of carbs per typical day
3. HbA1c levels with dates
4. Weight levels with dates
5. Any other clinical indicators especially triglycerides, HDL, LDL, blood pressure, eGFR, GGT (liver function test), waist size, CRP (level of inflammation) with dates
6. Any other benefits e.g. increased energy levels, reduced hypoglycaemia, better sleep, reduced hunger etc.
7. Any negatives?
8. Any other comments

I will then draft a paper and circulate to you for approval all before submission. I think Primary Care Diabetes would be a good journal. Also what about the Diabetes UK Balance magazine??
Will send you details. Thanks for doing this. It is important that the recommended way of eating is phased out.