Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I think we need to hear from the people that haven't lost weight?

Perhaps give these members a real chance to do this .
Come along and share their story or points on this .

Don't pre-judge nor announce negatively there ISNT any yet ...
Patience is a virtue folks :)

edit - perhaps start another thread on this matter ?
This is a low carb related thread kind of makes it harder for to spot this
reference request within a low carb thread .
When you want to hear from people that haven't lost weight .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've tried every diet!
The only one that works for me is low carbing and full fat!

Reactions: 8 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I can't say I didn't lose weight on a low fat starvation diet, but I was never able to get to a BMI of 25 before I gave in to the starvation and increased the calories and slowly put the weight back on. On a LCHF diet I reached a BMI of 25 and I'm not hungry and feel my weight is stable.

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we need to hear from the people that haven't lost weight?
That is a good point.
I do not have a weight issue, My low carb diet is to control my diabetes.
The LCHF diet has now become a very interesting and successful diet to help weight and diabetes control.
When @dannyw 's good point gets across the better. "You seem to be confused about the term "high fat". It doesn't mean vast quantities of fatty foods, it means eating foods with a high fat content."
Another interesting point would be, when you go on a "low carb high fat content diet", will it bring a low weight body up-to a satisfactory body weight.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've requested their input on another thread (I did stipulate that they have some kind of evidence that they actually tried the diet properly, and didn't lose weight, rather than just criticising it without living it)

The response was a stunningly empty silence.

I would still like to hear from them, though. If they exist.

@Brunneria
Please can you show us all which thread you have requested this input ?
Reference link to it via here ?
Then we can follow this as a future comparison perhaps ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria
Please can you show us all which thread you have requested this input ?
Reference link to it via here ?
Then we can follow this as a future comparison perhaps ?
I'm afraid I can't remember.

It was several pages into a long thread, maybe 2-3 months ago.
The only thing I can remember was that the thread had degenerated into the usual pro/anti carb bickering, by the usual suspects.

If I ever come across it again, I will send you the link.

Deakint

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wonder when the new edition of the manual (v11 I believe) will be coming out as the version on the website appears to still be v 10?

I've just read through the thread and reply to queries. Version 12.1 of the X-PERT Diabetes Educator's Manual became available in September 2014. X-PERT Educators needs to be updated every two years to remain registered. We realise that there is a lag time but we have to be realistic and practical about the frequency that we can expect Educators to attend update training. These Educators are in the main employed by NHS organisations and we do not have control. It is very difficult for Educators who have not attended updating training since September as they are being asked questions and do not always know how to respond. We have written a position statement (attached) and we do have an Educator Newsletter to try and address this but it isn't perfect (Rome wasn't built in a day!). The updated manual does not prescribe the low carb, high fat diet for all as the X-PERT Programme is based on the empowerment approach. Therefore it is about providing people with evidence based and updated information and then if they wish to adopt the low carb/high fat lifestyle, it is another option for them to lose weight and improve glycaemic control if they wish. We hope that over the next 12 months all Educators will present the options and support people with the informed decisions they make. For those who choose this lifestyle, we have adapted the eatwell plate: 5-9 portions of fruit & veg (as previous); 5-14 portions of fat (avoiding processed vegetable oils); 2-4 portions of protein; 2-4 portions of full fat milk & dairy products; 0-2 portions of carbohydrates.

Attachments

• Position statement - updated evidence base in X-PERT Educator Manuals_Nov 2014.pdf
    406.6 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: 13 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm afraid I can't remember.

It was several pages into a long thread, maybe 2-3 months ago.
The only thing I can remember was that the thread had degenerated into the usual pro/anti carb bickering, by the usual suspects.

If I ever come across it again, I will send you the link.

Such a shame you cant recall or provide this info .
Would help to gather the facts and allow members to see results to compare with .

If you should locate/find this question you have posted .
Please provide us with the link to this - then we can all compare these factors .

Would be interesting to see these .

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That is a good point.
I do not have a weight issue, My low carb diet is to control my diabetes.
The LCHF diet has now become a very interesting and successful diet to help weight and diabetes control.
When @dannyw 's good point gets across the better. "You seem to be confused about the term "high fat". It doesn't mean vast quantities of fatty foods, it means eating foods with a high fat content."
Another interesting point would be, when you go on a "low carb high fat content diet", will it bring a low weight body up-to a satisfactory body weight.
I just read the Diet Doctor's book and he says that a healthy LCHF diet will increase the weight of someone who is under weight. It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who has had that experience.

One observation I've made is that most people I know who are not overweight don't seem to worry much about eating in a healthy manner. Come to think of it, most overweight people I know don't seem to worry much about eating in a healthy manner. I really need to buy some stock in processed food companies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just read the Diet Doctor's book and he says that a healthy LCHF diet will increase the weight of someone who is under weight. It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who has had that experience.

Not so in my case. I am just over half a stone lighter than I wanted to be after having lost 4 stones on LCHF. I have been stable at this lower weight for a couple of months, but cannot increase it unless I increase my carbs, which I do not want to do. I have increased my fats by quite a bit and also my protein has increased. This has stabilised me, but I am saturated with fats now (pun intended), and can't add any more. Although I am still a healthy weight (BMI is 21) I would like an extra few pounds.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should we maybe start a new thread asking those who have followed LCHF for perhaps 3 months or more(not those who said I don't want to because.......or I can't stick to it because.....) and have not lost weight with LCHF to post? Maybe they are shying away from this thread and would be more likely to answer in a new one? Just an idea, but I'm sorry I won't be starting up any new threads for a while so I'm not offering to do it.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so in my case. I am just over half a stone lighter than I wanted to be after having lost 4 stones on LCHF. I have been stable at this lower weight for a couple of months, but cannot increase it unless I increase my carbs, which I do not want to do. I have increased my fats by quite a bit and also my protein has increased. This has stabilised me, but I am saturated with fats now (pun intended), and can't add any more. Although I am still a healthy weight (BMI is 21) I would like an extra few pounds.
Do you know your macro nutrient breakdown?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Interesting. I don't think this contradicts what the Diet Doctor said, since you aren't actually under weight. Have you tried weight lifting? You could increase your muscle mass to increase your weight.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that Montignac used to claim that eating low carb would enable your body to arrive at the correct weight for you. That might include weight gain. Or loss. Or allow you to change over time.

No idea if later editions of his book stopped saying this.

I'm tempted to think that our bodies do not use BMI, mirrors, aesthetics, amount of baggy skin or dress sizes to choose ideal weight. They probably use age, activity, fertility, climate, food availability/frequency, hormones and nutrition...

@Bluetit1802
Maybe your body is far happier as it is now than if you forced it to gain a few extra pounds.

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Such a shame you cant recall or provide this info .
Would help to gather the facts and allow members to see results to compare with .

If you should locate/find this question you have posted .
Please provide us with the link to this - then we can all compare these factors .

Would be interesting to see these .

Linking to my ancient post won't give you any useable information.
The only responses I had were from successful low carbers. No unsuccessful ones answered.

Can anyone else remember the thread?
Various ppl posted with comments like
It worked for me! N=1
And me! N=2
And so on... N= 3, 4, 5...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I don't think this contradicts what the Diet Doctor said, since you aren't actually under weight. Have you tried weight lifting? You could increase your muscle mass to increase your weight.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Sorry, but that is just not me. Thanks for the suggestion though. My muscles appear fine anyway. I think walking my boxer on her lead is probably just as effective! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people