NSAIDs

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Do NSAIDs like "Naproxen" increase blood sugar? I took one this morning for knee pain and got severe tingling in my extremities, and a higher than normal blood sugar reading. I prefer Acetominophen, but I took this one because I have a prescription and thought I would give it a try.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Injury does, so probably knee pain will!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
NSAID's don't raise my BG.
The cause of the pain might though.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. NSAIDs are best avoided if you can as they can damage the kidneys if taken long-term. I would stick with the Paracetamol (Acetominophen) or have co-codamol which is a combination of paracetamol and low-dose codeine.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi. NSAIDs are best avoided if you can as they can damage the kidneys if taken long-term. I would stick with the Paracetamol (Acetominophen) or have co-codamol which is a combination of paracetamol and low-dose codeine.
Thank you, I think that's good advice. I find Acetominophen better and the advantages outweigh the side effects of Naproxen. I have a history of adverse reactions with NSAIDs, even before this incident, e.g. Ibuprofen made me feel ill.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Naproxen for my arthritis and haven’t noticed a raise in blood sugar levels. However as others have said it’s more likely to be the knee pain that does.