nurses comments

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I think nurses are great and do a fantastic job but my telephone conversation on Friday after work looking forward to my weekend left me feeling a bit low. She wants me to have a bp monitor fitted for 24 hours as it was raised, however, she went on about how because I am diabetic I had to imagine my blood being like syrup and it getting stuck in my veins o_O. She added "its hard enough your blood pumping around your veins with high bp but if you're diabetic as well, its a life threatening disease and unfortunately although you may not like to think about it, usually leads to heart disease. We're just trying to look after you. We do like to offer the best care to diabetics such as yourself :mad: (they don´t offer monitors for type 2 and don't encourage testing, just giving out lots of medicines for everything else that may be associated with it :grumpy: Sorry for moan.

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I don't call that moaning, I would call it getting your point across. Sometimes I think the NHS could put things to patients in a kinder way, I know they are doing their job and have to follow guidelines, but if they altered their approach in a bit kinder way then like yourself would not be worrying as much. Yes they are trying to look after us and we do want the best care obviously, who doesn't. [ But no your right they don't encourage Type 2 testing, if they did in the long run the NHS would save money, this is just my opinion . Take care try not to worry to much about it, stress is no good either. Good luck.:)

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I don't call that moaning, I would call it getting your point across. Sometimes I think the NHS could put things to patients in a kinder way, I know they are doing their job and have to follow guidelines, but if they altered their approach in a bit kinder way then like yourself would not be worrying as much. Yes they are trying to look after us and we do want the best care obviously, who doesn't. [ But no your right they don't encourage Type 2 testing, if they did in the long run the NHS would save money, this is just my opinion . Take care try not to worry to much about it, stress is no good either. Good luck.:)
Thanks, they´re trying to put me on about 4 lots of medication, without treating the cause or allowing me a bit of time to try to get one thing under control before prescribing more things :( I've got my own meter as recommended by this site, so I am testing and seeing what doesn't do me much good.

Reactions: 4 people

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I think nurses are great and do a fantastic job but my telephone conversation on Friday after work looking forward to my weekend left me feeling a bit low. She wants me to have a bp monitor fitted for 24 hours as it was raised, however, she went on about how because I am diabetic I had to imagine my blood being like syrup and it getting stuck in my veins o_O. She added "its hard enough your blood pumping around your veins with high bp but if you're diabetic as well, its a life threatening disease and unfortunately although you may not like to think about it, usually leads to heart disease. We're just trying to look after you. We do like to offer the best care to diabetics such as yourself :mad: (they don´t offer monitors for type 2 and don't encourage testing, just giving out lots of medicines for everything else that may be associated with it :grumpy: Sorry for moan.
blood pressure
whatever you do when u go for a check up sit down for ten min ..
before you have it taken i have learnt this over a lot of years
do not rush if your hospital or docs is like our its a heck of a job to park ,..
i am on bloody pressure tablets and they do avery good job
on of the main reasons is eyes and kidneys to keep pressure down and not get over whatever s leave that up to you to keep fit
me have had transplant and eye lazer you do not say how long you have been type 2 another thing is buy a moniter as at home you are away from the white coat syndrome and they cost 25.00 to 40 pound but may be worth in the long team good luck REMEMBER SIT DOWN FOR TEN MINS it will help insist on it as all the clinics will do is rush you in and out
good luck vic insulin 59 years :cool::cool::cool:

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
blood pressure
whatever you do when u go for a check up sit down for ten min ..
before you have it taken i have learnt this over a lot of years
do not rush if your hospital or docs is like our its a heck of a job to park ,..
i am on bloody pressure tablets and they do avery good job
on of the main reasons is eyes and kidneys to keep pressure down and not get over whatever s leave that up to you to keep fit
me have had transplant and eye lazer you do not say how long you have been type 2 another thing is buy a moniter as at home you are away from the white coat syndrome and they cost 25.00 to 40 pound but may be worth in the long team good luck REMEMBER SIT DOWN FOR TEN MINS it will help insist on it as all the clinics will do is rush you in and out
good luck vic insulin 59 years :cool::cool::cool:
Hi Vic, thanks for your advice, I must remember to try that. I did rush in and wait until called. I was only diagnosed in January this year. I will try to get a monitor for the bp but they do panic me when it tightens up. We lived in Spain for a while and had machines in the Pharmacies that you could put 50c in and wait for them to give your reading. Like weighing machines here in Boots. I'm not sure if they have them here? :confused:

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hi don't know if you have a boots or Lloyds pharmacy near you but they offer free b.p. checks.......and advice ......

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi don't know if you have a boots or Lloyds pharmacy near you but they offer free b.p. checks.......and advice ......
Hi, thanks I didn't realise they offered free bp checks, will check them out. Thanks for letting me know :)

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Going off of local branches near me,both offer this service.....worth asking....
On the Windows there are posters advertising it.... good luck....

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Going off of local branches near me,both offer this service.....worth asking....
On the Windows there are posters advertising it.... good luck....
thanks its worth a look, I don't work in the centre of town so wouldn't see them so Ill have a look, thanks again :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a bp monitor strapped to me a long time ago .. think it was for about a week ... it was interesting

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We're just trying to look after you. We do like to offer the best care to diabetics such as yourself :mad: (they don´t offer monitors for type 2 and don't encourage testing, just giving out lots of medicines for everything else that may be associated with it :grumpy: Sorry for moan.
No. She's talking complete nonesense if they dont't give you the care you need. Most seem oblivious to the contradictions in what they are saying and the actual treatment they think proper. Very frustrating.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got my own meter as recommended by this site, so I am testing and seeing what doesn't do me much good.
There is no other way. Insane that HCPs actively discourage testing. How can you try to manage your condition without knowing where you stand with your BG.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
I bought my own BP monitor years ago from ASDA for £9.99p brilliant a Omron Basic. I often calibrate against my heart nurse's monitor & still good.

I saw the same one at my pharmacy last week for under a tenner.

Home BP testing is much better than going to the Doctor or Nurse because you are more relaxed & checks can be done at different times of the day, far better in my opinion.

It is not your DN's fault that they don't provide meters.

Your nurse is absolutely correct about high BP & diabetes leading to possible heart disease, i only know from first hand experience.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair though the 24 hour test is quite useful if like me you suffer from white coat high blood pressure. My doc persuaded me to wear one and it showed my BP while a bit on the high side was nowhere near the result they got when measuring at the surgery. So it did pay off in the end. However it was a very uncomfortable experience and I slept really badly with the pump going off every so often which I'm sure didn't help. Have since bought my own Omron from Argos at £20 and measure myself at home irregularly.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@jal16 I do sympathise with your irritation at the patronising way practice nurses often come across, but I agree with @bulkbiker that the home 24-hour test is useful as it gives a much better picture than the snapshot in the surgery. I'd recommend doing it in spring or autumn: in the winter it's a hassle because of the layers of clothing on top of it, and in the summer it can make you horribly sweaty with no hope of a shower.

Kate

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
will check Boots out for one of them :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My problem is not white coat syndrome it blue uniform syndrome (nurses) I started to take my BP with a cheap home monitor and recorded weekly for a while .The nurse was happy to check these at my next Diabetes review I now check about once a month .Interestingly though my BP check at the surgery has gone down probably because my fear of the big bad nurse has gone !
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your DN is talking relative nonsense without knowing it. If your blood sugar is far too high then it does get stickier but not to the extent she implies. There are many reasons for elevated blood pressure and Docs are too keen to offer bp pills when the bp is only slightly elevated and it does naturally get higher as you get older. The most important thing for anyone with diabetes is to monitor bg levels with meter, so do get hold of one.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was diagnosed with T1 and lying in the ER the lovely nurse told me I had to urinate in the container otherwise they'd stick a tube in my willy. A bit later another lovely nurse was sticking a cannula in my arm, and seeing me wince, she said with an air of superiority, "you'd better get used to this, you're going to be getting a lot of needles".