Oat Milk. Any T2s Able To Comment Upon Bs Level For Oatmilk?

New2ThisType2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am looking at making my own Oat Milk for some recipes but before I do so, I am wondering if there are any members here that have tried it and know if it affects their blood sugars poorly or not.

That it is made with gluten free rolled oats I am curious about as well as sub steel cut oats.

I have avoided Oatmeal believing it spiked blood sugar levels but I might have been wrong. Researching this a bit I have come up with a link that claim oatmeal has a low glycemic index, it can help maintain glucose levels.
But for some reason, I have something in my head, that I might have read here, or somewhere else, showing T2s that react poorly to Oats.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

https://minimalistbaker.com/make-oat-milk/ ( just a quick one I pulled from the web)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup (90 g) rolled oats (gluten-free if GF // or sub steel-cut oats*)
  • 4 cups (960 ml) water (use less water for thicker, creamier milk!)
  • Pinch salt
  • optional: 1 date, pitted, or 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup for sweetness
  • optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • optional: 2 Tbsp (10 g) cocoa or cacao powder for "chocolate milk" or 1/4 cup fresh berries for "berry milk"

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't speak for oat milk, but the response to porridge seems to be very variable among Type 2's - some people tolerate well, many more have a high BG spike. I'm one of the people who spike, so oats were one of the first things I eliminated. All you can do is try it, then test to see your personal BG results.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I calculate that the quantities you’ve given equal approx 65g of carbohydrate, it looks like it’ll make just over a litre of milk. For comparison a litre of full fat cows milk contains 47g carbohydrate per litre.
For me, I control my type 2 with a low carb way of eating, I would say it would affect my blood sugars if taken in any quantity. I have 40 - 60g of carbohydrate per day and of that I only have one white coffee per day using a tiny dash of cows milk.
The only way to find out if it affects you is to test.