Oats & Diabetes

ardneham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
India is the capital of Diabetics, A recent TV show, consisting of Doctors and Researchers claimed that most people
in India do not know how bad eatings Oats and is proven a diabetic enhancer. I wonder what the Western world says,
knowing this as a favourite breakfast item?

The best test will be for a Diabetic patient who takes a lot of Oats, test his/her levels after a period of
completely abstaining from this item - Oats

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have actually done this and I eat oats almost everyday now.
Not only does the smallish spike they give me go fairly quickly the oats also help me control so called good and bad cholesterol.
Someone is getting their research wrong.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i FOUND OATS SPIKED ME BADLY WHEN FIRST DIAGNOSED; MUST TRY THEM AGAIN NOW MY GLUCOSE IS under better control..
Apologies, cat helping me to type!!!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
More or less everything will give a spike of some kind and for me porridge is healthy.
Porridge helps me have colon health which I didn't have not that long ago.
It also helps me balance all drug free my so called good and bad cholesterol.
So .... I'm not convinced at all about the Indian research and I know that india has more science graduates than America has graduates so I'm surprising myself!
What else surprises me is India being diabetes central seeing as so many of them are vegetarians and so many live on poverty diets compared to most westerners.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Porridge really spikes my blood glucose levels.
It was porridge that led to me getting a referral.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I remember when I first went for daily porridge it spiked me too.
I started off with very small portions and built them up over a couple of weeks everyday without a miss and by the time I was on a large enough portion to satisfy me I was spiking after and hour at about 10 on my meter which is what I was spiking at on the first small portions but after about three hours I was back down to my seven sometimes 6.5.
I'm happy with that.
Funny thing is I have a teaspoonful of honey with it along with cinnamon and black pepper.
A small measure of honey like that I can handle for some reason ... I know many wouldn't dream of it.
If we have berries in which we grow so usually have I have a handful of them too but my attitude with honey is since I was a kid I always thought it had magical properties only to discover in later life it almost does!
When I first started with the honey my attitude was take it every day like a medicine and see what happens after a few weeks .... I'm happy with it.
I'm convinced it helps heal me in lots of ways.
Having read stuff about the great honey laundering scam though I only buy locally produced.
To discover brand names were cutting it with syrups wasa bit of a shock!

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being bitten by cats. And women.
India is the capital of Diabetics, A recent TV show, consisting of Doctors and Researchers claimed that most people
in India do not know how bad eatings Oats and is proven a diabetic enhancer. I wonder what the Western world says,
knowing this as a favourite breakfast item?

The best test will be for a Diabetic patient who takes a lot of Oats, test his/her levels after a period of
completely abstaining from this item - Oats
But is it the oats, or the stuff eaten with the oats that might be a problem? e.g. too much milk, fruit, or ...... sugar!!!!!?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found oats spiked me badly but almost everything did then so it might be worth trying again now. I just used Camp coffee for flavour; I am a coffeeholic!!!

Little Bird

Porridge really spikes my blood glucose levels.
It was porridge that led to me getting a referral.
Best not eat them then @Lamont D if you want to "live long and prosper!" I'm sorry I just saw your profile page and i couldn't help myself. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few! :):):)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the oats. They've got a lot of carbohydrates in (starches), and those will turn to glucose once ingested. Though the additives don't help either, it's a case of making an already bad thing worse.
But is it the oats, or the stuff eaten with the oats that might be a problem? e.g. too much milk, fruit, or ...... sugar!!!!!?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It could be any or all depending on your intolerance to that particular food, milk does spike some because the less full fat it is,, the more carbs, fruit has been known to spike quite a few, especially the more nearer the equator it is grown. And of course, sugar is really bad!
Best not eat them then @Lamont D if you want to "live long and prosper!" I'm sorry I just saw your profile page and i couldn't help myself. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few! :):):)

I don't!
The needs of the many, has not been the agenda from the propaganda of those whose vested interests are to do with the population's diet for the last fifty years or so!
As for the one, I cannot tolerate so many types of carbs, that my life has been given a second chance to get to a ripe old age, because I don't eat them!
I don't want to go back to my hypo hell, thank you!

Live long and prosper!
Warp factor one Mr. Sulu!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Porridge for me helps with blood pressure helps with cholesterol supposedly good and bad kinds.
The most amazing thing is I'm on very strong opiates and the porridge means I haven't gotten constipated from them in years.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Little Bird

It could be any or all depending on your intolerance to that particular food, milk does spike some because the less full fat it is,, the more carbs, fruit has been known to spike quite a few, especially the more nearer the equator it is grown. And of course, sugar is really bad!

I don't!
The needs of the many, has not been the agenda from the propaganda of those whose vested interests are to do with the population's diet for the last fifty years or so!
As for the one, I cannot tolerate so many types of carbs, that my life has been given a second chance to get to a ripe old age, because I don't eat them!
I don't want to go back to my hypo hell, thank you!

Live long and prosper!
Warp factor one Mr. Sulu!
"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning! " :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat oatmeal almost every morning because oats are said to be heart-healthy.
I add dark chocolate and peanut butter, and sometimes flax seeds and some nuts; or else some berries.
Oatmeal is more filling and staying than cold oat cereal, e.g., Cheerios.