Obvious solution to Covid Vaccine implementation

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The difficulty of vaccinating the whole population is immense and will take huge resources to do this quickly and effectively. It was mentioned on the BBC last night that even lay people could be trained up. What better and immediate resource is available than us type 1 needle experts? It would probably be an IM injection rather than a subcut but I'd be up for the task!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'm pretty sure that you'd have to be a qualified HCP to do this (especially from a legal stand point), not to mention the expertise required with dealing with a drug that has to be kept in a deep cold state.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No - once the vaccine is warmed up and diluted it has a long enough life for a day's use.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No - once the vaccine is warmed up and diluted it has a long enough life for a day's use.
Not sure what you mean by diluted but apparently the vaccine has to be kept in batches of 1,000 doses. That means it will have to be administered in hospitals or special units with very low temperature storage and where lots of people can attend.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pretty sure that you'd have to be a qualified HCP to do this (especially from a legal stand point), not to mention the expertise required with dealing with a drug that has to be kept in a deep cold state.
Another problem they are finding out this weekend is that the vaccine comes in boxes of some 960 doses, Under current legislation and guidelines, the HCP's cannot split the box between sites, but are not authorized to vaccinate anyone who is not in the current tranche. So a box will go to a hospital, then everyone will need to be bused in and in the correct sequence, Any phials left over will need to be scrapped under current regs, whereas it would have been sensible to form an orderly queue as us Brits are wont to do. Its not a Foodbank or cinema queue.

I think US will be worse off, According to the latest GOP offering for pandemic relief, the FED has already paid up for the medication, but there is no money for administering it, If you have active health insurance in place you can get inoculated, but if you have lost your job or have no insurance, then pray. There is no stimulus package for State aid either to support furlough or covid protections for the man in the street (aka shelter in place)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure what you mean by diluted but apparently the vaccine has to be kept in batches of 1,000 doses. That means it will have to be administered in hospitals or special units with very low temperature storage and where lots of people can attend.
Could courier a box to a temporary centre on the day of vaccination since it will keep in a normal fridge for a day. Maybe Amazon or DHL or FEDEX could offer a priority service? Prime?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The difficulty of vaccinating the whole population is immense and will take huge resources to do this quickly and effectively. It was mentioned on the BBC last night that even lay people could be trained up. What better and immediate resource is available than us type 1 needle experts? It would probably be an IM injection rather than a subcut but I'd be up for the task!

You never know what may happen, I have over 30 years of injecting and still on MDI. The NHS would probably ask retired medical staff to come and help out with the mammoth task. At first I thought no, I couldn't do it, because when I had to inject my little granddaughter ( she was diagnosed type 1 at 2 1/2 yrs) I found it very difficult and I was like jelly, but that's because she's my flesh and blood.
I am a first aider and with training, I would actually like to do it, as it would be a fantastic way to give something back to the NHS. The thing I would find worrying would be if the person freaked out, or had an immediate medical reaction to the jab.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best solution, give it to Father Christmas to distribute Christmas Eve (Sorry I just had to);):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Best solution, give it to Father Christmas to distribute Christmas Eve (Sorry I just had to);):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Too near Christmas for me ( incase of a reaction) then I would have to use the National Elf Service) ( I just had to too ) :D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was listening to someone describing the conditions under which the vaccine would be transported and then used - they said that it was warmed up and then diluted with saline to get the injected dose - but if regulations on how it has to be used have been slapped on it then all bets are off - and so is the scheduled list of those who will be getting it first - which were to be the most elderly and those looking after them. If the vaccine is hospital only then there will have to be a rethink.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Red Cross or St. John's ambulance (can't remember which) were asking for volunteers a few weeks ago, to be trained up to administer the vaccine. If I remember correctly you had to be between 18-65, and not have underlying health conditions. Also physio's OT's, podiatrists, drs receptionists etc are to be trained. Sorry I don't have links for any of this, as it was about a month ago I read it.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you're probably right but needs must so it could change. In the past only medics could take blood, now students can be trained as phlebotomists to do it so who knows?