Oh Rats!!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Mine is a modified form of your examples @DavidGrahamJones and @librarising - no veg or fruit, little meat but thank you for caring enough to research and link. Cheers!
That really is a ******.

I don't know if you have considered consulting a Nutritional Therapist, a good one, probably with a degree in Nutritional Medicine and certainly a member of BANT. I appreciate there's a lot going on, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't done so already. Good Luck

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's always a disappointment when your body has other ideas to what you have planned or wants to hold you back continueing on a known and trusted diet.
I admire your acceptance and wisdom to know what needs to be done.
I know bariatric surgery isn't the answer for everyone but I know its right for my future health.
I was happiest on my 600cals diet in the past but my body has fought me constantly for more calories.

You know what's right for you and your future health.
Not many people would be happy working on a day by day health programme. It's very hard work. Right?

I can see you being happier pleasing both masters hun.

It's never wise to ignore a health problem, like your not.

Please keep us updated. One master isn't more important than the other. So I'm sure you will reach a happy medium for both health conditions.
Please keep posting as many others have more than just diabetes to please and they need your advice.

Keep smiling. V

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Well, after being diabetic for almost ten years I found this forum, started LCHF and IF and came off all of my meds. Now, due to another horrible condition I've suffered from for a long time I've been placed on a low residue diet (basically white everything +very high carb) and will have to "accept" diabetic medication again.
I wanted to say "thank you" to all the contributors to this forum, especially to the posters who gave links to scientific articles and lchf websites. I also appreciate all the excellent information to be found on this site via home page and search box, that is where I began my diabetes education.
Oh! And I'm royally fed up with having to give up my lchf lifestyle so - all the best to all you lucky people who can continue to impact your diabetes with your diet and lifestyle.
Anna
I know the frustration well. 12 years of it.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know the frustration well. 12 years of it.

I'm sorry to hear it, having said that - I am a little confused- it is all too easy for a doctor to equate low residue with don't eat anything crunchy - so white bread, mashed potatose, rice all of which will destroy your blood sugar control especially if he is also still of the "fats are bad" school of thinking

The recommended daily intake of fibre for " normal" people is 25g. My average on LCHF for the last 6 months has been 13g - with no detrimental effect as far as I can see - in fact I have been deliberately trying to get my fibre up because it is naturally so low when net carbs are limited to 30g .

What is the actual limit of fibre your doctor has given you ? I have just put a sample menu from a low residue website into my cronometer and using the white parts of the recommended foods I get fibres of around 7g for 1500 calories - and horrendous blood sugar issues

Doing it the lchf way for 1500 calories - I can easily get to the same 7g for fibres - by switching out the carbs for fats - all still on the low residue diet list

I have just been through the list of ok foods for a low residue diet - and whilst it includes a bunch of things I wouldn't eat because of the blood glucose issues, it also pretty much includes the majority of my current LCHF diet. The way it is written presumes one is starting from a diet full of white bread and saying that is ok, but it doesn't say its compulsory to eat it.

Reading what you have written above, might fats be the answer instead of carbs. ?

The actual diet showing up as a low residue diet is in fact an LCHF diet just with a load of white carbs added and anything which has fibre attached pulped or strained - given the idea is that there is no residue and given that white carbs don't actually provide much nutrient either - if you don't eat them at all how can that be detrimental ?

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/low-residue-diet-foods#3

would a combination of fish, shellfish, oils, fats, creams and eggs work for you instead? for example a shellfish soup made put through the blender with some added cream - - one of my " go to " dishes and almost zero fibre .

I'm sure you have already explored all of this so good luck in finding what works best for you.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a nasty blow 13lizanne. I really hope you are able to find a middle way to control all of your conditions.

Reactions: Prem51 and Oldvatr

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It appears that a "low residue" diet means a low fibre diet. Why can't a LCHF diet also be low in fibre? Mine sure is! Zero fibre, actually.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Inadvertently as well as unintentionally my diet had become a low residue diet. I had an adversion to veggies for some reason and other than avoacdo I mostly just eat protein and fat. Fish, bee, lamb, eggs, cheese, butter, etc. Without veggies my stomach is so much happier. Fiber always upset my gut. I'm surprised I can eat avocado but it works perfectly.

I love vlc hf and have always thrived on it. Fiber has always been an issue I'm getting very close to @NoCrbs4Me without trying. I'll never ditch my avocado but have lost intersect in lots of veggies and feel much better for it.

Try a low fiber low carb high fat diet and see how it goes.

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Meh.

Thank you also from me for being one of the people who inspired me to keep going with diet changes and walking when I was an utterly frustrated newbie to all this. I really hope you can find a path that works in all this.

Reactions: Oldvatr

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think every one just felt a need to try and help. But you know what you have to do and I wish for you the best out come possible.

Is this change permanent or will you be able to change back after the surgery? Either way please keep posting and keep us up to date with your progress.

You are much loved here. Good luck for the future surgery and I hope all goes well.

Lots of hugs John.

Reactions: Kristin251

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Update:-. After an initial period of my bloods being in low double/high single figures they have settled down to mainly steady readings of between 6.5-8 Not ideal but MUCH better than I expected. The really good thing is that I'm not experiencing huge swings in my readings, the bad:- carbs are really addictive and I'm frequently hungry. Unfortunately increasing the IF time is out, but all-in-all I'm happy that the blood glucose readings have settled down. Hoping to return to my altered form of LCHF in a few months time. Thank you for all your encouragement

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update:-. After an initial period of my bloods being in low double/high single figures they have settled down to mainly steady readings of between 6.5-8 Not ideal but MUCH better than I expected. The really good thing is that I'm not experiencing huge swings in my readings, the bad:- carbs are really addictive and I'm frequently hungry. Unfortunately increasing the IF time is out, but all-in-all I'm happy that the blood glucose readings have settled down. Hoping to return to my altered form of LCHF in a few months time. Thank you for all your encouragement

Thanks for the update. I had been quite concerned how you would cope. It's hard when you have to balance other medical problems but hopefully things will continue to improve. Best wishes.

Reactions: debrasue

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, thanks for the update.
Those are much better numbers than could have been, so wonderful news. Very pleased for you, and considering all the circumstances, it looks like this is a workable thing. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news.. very pleased for you..big hug M

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Glad to hear it about time you had good news.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
It's always a disappointment when your body has other ideas to what you have planned or wants to hold you back continueing on a known and trusted diet.
I admire your acceptance and wisdom to know what needs to be done.
I know bariatric surgery isn't the answer for everyone but I know its right for my future health.
I was happiest on my 600cals diet in the past but my body has fought me constantly for more calories.

You know what's right for you and your future health.
Not many people would be happy working on a day by day health programme. It's very hard work. Right?

I can see you being happier pleasing both masters hun.

It's never wise to ignore a health problem, like your not.

Please keep us updated. One master isn't more important than the other. So I'm sure you will reach a happy medium for both health conditions.
Please keep posting as many others have more than just diabetes to please and they need your advice.

Keep smiling. V
I sometimes think the human body has a macarbe sense of humour. Just when you decide to follow a healthy lifesytle, it gives the hint....'go ahead...make my day!'

D

debrasue

This is really good news, Anna - you are a Winner! Your strength, wisdom, faith and perseverance seem to be paying off and I am so glad that you have reached a state of peace and tranquility which is working for you. I wish you all the very best for your operation and a swift recovery.
As others have said, you are well respected and much loved on the forum, so I do hope you can continue to find an opportunity to post from time to time during this challenging journey, even if it's simply to let us know that you are OK.
Sending you big hugs and much love x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck, you are a wonderful person and a fighter too, it's good news on your recent up date and wishing you all the very best for the future @13lizanne :)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Thank you so much, all you lovely people