Oldvatr; sad news.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no. So very sad to read this. I know he had had significant health challenges, but he always seemed well with astonishing mental acuity.

@Oldvatr and I didn’t always see eye-to-eye, but I absolutely respected his views and his ability to dig deep on things that mattered to him. He helped so many, in so many ways. He is a real loss to the forum and to his friends.

Rest easy @Oldvatr . You deserve it, my friend.

My condolences go to those who loved him.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
His signature in here summed him up, perfectly.

I was born in an era where science was used to seek the truth. Nowadays we seem to pick and choose the science that fits our social persona regardless of the truth. We have lost the ability to question and therein lies mankind's demise. Climate change will not kill us - we will manage that ourselves before then.”

Could always rely on him to sift through the nonsense in any ‘scientific claims’.
Wise, and patient. Will be missed.
Condolences to all who knew and cared about him.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like everyone else I feel very sad.

Someone that could always be relied on to consider any scientific arguments and reviewed them and provided very wise advice. I think that his gentleness and compassion and clear communication will be sorely missed.

I don't have the right words but please let his family know that his passing will leave a gaping hole here.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very sad to hear this. Oldvatr was incredibly supportive to me last month, spoke to him quite a bit on PM at that time. Very direct, cut through all the nonsense with straight talking - my kind of person, that's for sure. I only had the chance to know him very briefly, but he had an impact on my diabetes journey and my time here on the forum, so this must be hard for some longer standing members here who knew him far better.

My condolences to his friends here and his family.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What dreadful news. He will be missed. I had huge respect for his depth of knowledge, his refusal to be deflected by trendy "science" nonsense, and his genuinely scientific understanding and analysis. Most of all I think I will miss his wit and dry humour.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What dreadful news. He will be misssed. I had huge respect for his depth of knowledge, his refusal to be deflected by trendy "science" nonsense, and his genuinely scientific understanding and analysis. Most of all I think I will miss his wit and dry humour.
I would agree with your assessment.

Also he was kindly willing to reassess any of his his findings & correct or redact when he felt he got it wrong.
He did have a dry humour that compellingly chopped sense or questioned into the nonsensical..

I’m raising a glass to the chap tonight…

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree with your assessment.

Also he was kindly willing to reassess any of his his findings & correct or redact when he felt he got it wrong.
He did have a dry humour that compellingly chopped sense or questioned into the nonsensical..

I’m raising a glass to the chap tonight…
I'm holding a nice glass of Ripasso - here's to you, Oldvatr.

Kiwigal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Oh no, this is sad news.

I enjoyed reading his posts and his tips have helped me ie with reporting reaction for Ozempic.

Rest in Peace Oldvatr.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Such sad news. His knowledge, wisdom, wit and willingness to help will be sorely missed. I had many a chat with him over the years and I will miss him.

• Friendly
  • Hug
Reactions: Pipp and EllieM