Type 2 Olive Oil

Zailani

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Please does anyone have any experience of taking olive oil as a way of getting blood sugar levels down? Thanks

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use olive and rice oil only but it doesnt rly affect my BG in any ways...? (T1)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Please does anyone have any experience of taking olive oil as a way of getting blood sugar levels down? Thanks

Zailani - I'd be interested to hear others' comments.

Personally, I doubt the olive oil will bring down blood sugars, but fat in foods (including olive oil, can moderate the spped the blood sugar rises in a meal, and can have the impact of smoothing what would have been a bit of a spike to less of one, or move it towards a curve.

Many people find their most effective way of actually lowering a higher than desired blood glucose score is to drink plenty of water, and if possible exercise a little; for example go for a walk.

You could always test it out for yourself. Do you have a meter to do those tests?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is great on salad, mix with a wine vinegar - watch out for ones with high sugar content though - just put equal mounts in a bottle and give a good shake before using it.
I'm afraid that the only way for a type 2 to lower blood sugar is to eat fewer carbs. There is no magic foodstuff which is going to remove the glucose you simply have to have less carbohydrate going in and getting stacked up in your bloodstream.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or dipping crusty bread in it, oh wait that's not on the menu. :arghh:

For many, fried bread results in a lower peak in blood sugar levels that the same bread, just plain. The dipped bread may have a similar impact. I have no idea.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My understanding is, oil and fats in general have no impact on bs. Not a smidgeon. Your choice of oil may well have an impact on your health, though. Industrially produced vegetable oils have transfats which clog up the arteries and aren't recommended by anyone with a brain, although they're freely available and cheap in the shops.

Olive oil, coconut oil, butter, any natural fats are... natural. Until more information to the contrary comes along, I don't believe they'll do you any harm.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
An interesting analysis of oils in this BBC 'Trust Me I'm a Doctor' item. No claims regarding blood sugar, but there are impacts on cholesterol which vary according to the oils in question and how they are used.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3t902pqt3C7nGN99hVRFc1y/which-oils-are-best-to-cook-with

Kind of depends on whether you're concerned about cholesterol. As an older post-menopausal woman, I'd like mine a bit on the high side, triglycerides under control. That seems to be the best option for avoiding a CVE, but who knows? Something might change tomorrow.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found my cholesterol results from last November and added them into my signature.
So much for eating LCHF raising cholesterol levels.

D

Deleted member 308541

For many, fried bread results in a lower peak in blood sugar levels that the same bread, just plain. The dipped bread may have a similar impact. I have no idea.
I liked fried bread with bacon and eggs etc., but cooking it in a non stick frying pan cannot really be done with out putting a load of oil in the pan.

Which sort of defeats the purpose of non stick pans. Curse you Teflon!

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just found my cholesterol results from last November and added them into my signature.
So much for eating LCHF raising cholesterol levels.

Wow, that's very impressive. What I've gathered here is that total cholesterol levels tend to rise at first on an LCHF lifestyle, but normalise fairly quickly. There's really no need to panic.

A whole separate question is whether elevated cholesterol levels are a problem, and unless it's broken down into its component parts, no one can say. Even then, no one can REALLY say.

I'm not bothered but there is no CVE family history and I feel fabulous after losing 63lb in 7 months. Frankly, high cholesterol was the least of my probs.

Last edited:

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I liked fried bread with bacon and eggs etc., but cooking it in a non stick frying pan cannot really be done with out putting a load of oil in the pan.

Which sort of defeats the purpose of non stick pans. Curse you Teflon!

Bread, you said bread! Now you've done it - off to get some of the shiny new Tesco low carb and butter it up then fry in the Teflon frying pan. :happy:

D

Deleted member 308541

Bread, you said bread! Now you've done it - off to get some of the shiny new Tesco low carb and butter it up then fry in the Teflon frying pan.
Thanks for the tip about buttering up the bread then frying it, but then i have not cooked that low carb bread recipe to try out.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You're in Bundie, yeah? I'm a Sydneysider but have lived in the UK for almost 40 years. I don't really know why, but Brit hubby is really quite lovely. Nice to meet you.

Tesco is the biggest supermarket here, and has just released a high protein, low carb bread. It's around 9/10 carbs a slice so even lower than Burgen. What's important is that a supermarket has caught on that there is a market for low carb. Too early to tell, but we may be winning.

D

Deleted member 308541

You're in Bundie, yeah? I'm a Sydneysider but have lived in the UK for almost 40 years.
We have lived in Qld since leaving the UK in1970 and Bundaberg since 1992 I think, we have passed through Sydney a few times going elsewhere, never have had a look around at any of the great restaurants that are there tho'.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
We have lived in Qld since leaving the UK in1970 and Bundaberg since 1992 I think, we have passed through Sydney a few times going elsewhere, never have had a look around at any of the great restaurants that are there tho'.

Will be passing through Bundaberg on the way to Gladstone, to go to Heron Island sometime in July. Looking forward to it!