Omega 3 capsules

andybob

Like so many of my T2 sufferers I also have high cholsterol and high triglycerides. I was told by the doctor to try and eat 2 lots of oily fish per week. I tried & failed.. I like fish but just can't eat it to order and twice a week - no hope.
Are omega 3 fish oil capsules any good? I'm sure someone will point me in the right direction if this has been discussed before or there will be people out there with good points for and against.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your comments.

Andy

sooliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We eat fish at least twice a week anyway, but my GP told me to have one of those cholesterol-lowering yogurt drinks every day - Benecol or Flora Proactive, although some supermarkets do their own, cheaper, version. Look for the low fat version though, as they are high in sugar otherwise.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
My chemist told me that Omega 3 oil is good for helping to reduce cholesterol, I have no idea if thats true but I do trust his judgement in most drug related areas :thumbup:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was having a prescription review recently (I'm on statins), the pharmacist said I should take Omega 3, so decided to take it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My gp is also endorses fish oils, I've taken cod liver oil for 22 years first in capsule form then around 3 years ago in liquid form, my cholesterol is always around 4 with excellent lipid levels....so they might be something in it.....who knows! :)

alanbrewerton

Hi - I have type 2 + the usual high triglyceride problems. My GP prescribed Omacor - highly concentrated fish oils/omega fatty acids. As a result my triglycerides have reduced to <2. Worth a try!