Omnipod pump

Belle 12

HELP!!!! Does anyone use the omnipod after several unsuccessful attempts at trying to get my NHS consultant to even consider me for a pump I've decided go private the care in my area is absolutely shocking i'm fed up of uninterested diabetic nurses who think as i work full time I can't be that bad so I feel I have no other choice I've been diabetic for 12years and that time the care I have received hasn't changed I was just wondering if anyone had used this pump and if they knew of any complications or a success story would be nice!!!

zibi1

Hi,
I've been Type1 for 12 years and I'm considering switching to Omnipod as well (right now I'm on MDI). I didn't even bothered to check with the NHS as I'm sure I don't qualify for a pump (high hypo awareness, hba1c 6.3)! As for success stories, if you just search Google you'll find thousand of forums, website, blogs where you can get a pretty good idea of the pros/cons of the Omnipod.
From what I read, it's not perfect but overall it's worth a try. I get the impression that when it works it's a life changer. However, for some people, the Omnipod just doesn't work and they're quite vocal about it!

leggott

My two kids use it and we love it. As with all pumps it does have it's drawbacks, but I would never willingly put my kids back on MDI.

We have had a few pods which have failed when putting the insulin in, but the company have just replaced them.

Why not trial one and perhaps another pump to see how you get on.

jopar

Belle

when you say 'private' are you talking about taking your whole of your diabetic care to the private sector or just self funding your pump?

As pumps are POM items (prescription only medication) so you can't just phone a pump supplier and purchase one, you got to have a signed prescription even to privately purchase one, as they can only be sold where their is medical support for the diabetic to use it..

I would ask your GP to refer you to a pump friendly clinic in your area, as you have a right to be seen at a clinic/hospital of your choice.. So there is bound to be a pump friendly clinic in your area..

If you are having trouble finding out which clinic is pump friend take a look and/or contact INPUT here www.input.me.uk

The Omipod isn't as great as it looks, as an experienced pumper I wouldn't change to an omipod, the tubing and carry of the standard pump isn't a problem,

And if you are self-funding the it's a very expensive alternitive, they may sound cheap at intial purchase but the consumables end up costing the 4 year package 4 times as much as a standard pump.. So something to consider

lauren_gee_x

Hi I've been asking about this pump as well :d Glad to see that other people are using it and finding it good :p
Cant wait till tuesday to see my DN to get this rolling :d xx

Cheryl

Have you thought about travelling a bit further to a better diabetes clinic? I have never attended a clinic near to where I live. Initially, on being diagnosed I went private, I was then referred to a friend of my private doctor on the NHS who happened to be at a hispital near to where I worked. Years later I moved to the other end of the country & asked my consultant if he could recommend a good clinic in my new area. He suggested one & when I moved, I went to my new GP & asked for a referral. The new GP was unimpressed & said that they had perfectly good diabetes care in house, but I was firm, knew that the choice was mine & he referred me. The clinic is in the next-door health authority, but as it's a big hospital & pump centre, they are quite used to making inter-authority requests for pump funding.

I didn't want to go onto a pump but my control was very erratic so they encouraged me to do so. I am happy with it now but it hasn't been the panacea they promised.

NICE guidelines on pumps are clear: an hba1c of over 8.5 ( or 8.3?) and/or frequent hypos which affect quality of life. If you meet the criteria & your doctor considers that it would be beneficial, they MUST fund one, but I believe that it's easier said than done in some areas. The advice by others is good, find a pump friendly clinic & you'll have a much higher chance of getting a pump. My clinic even eventually agreed to fund a pump for a friend of mune who is type 2 (NICE do not recommend pumps for type 2s at all) after his privately funded pump failed & his control significantly worsened as a result.

Good luck.

Belle 12

Thanks for all your replies it's fab getting advice as my consultant and DN's are useless lol London Medical have called me this morning the DN was really great however the issue will be getting the PCT to fund the monthly consumables otherwise it costs £2200 a year the initial set up costs are ok what I expected.I'm off to see my GP tomorrow to get some advice that should be a laugh!!!!!